Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   6.0L Calibration Rollback (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4573)

Corey Cohron RIP Fri, May 28th, 2010 08:45 PM

6.0L Calibration Rollback

We've heard it time and time again... "Ford reflashed my 6.0L to the 06E17 calibrations and now my truck runs like crap." Sound familiar?

Well, after dozens (or even hundreds... I've lost track) of requests for calibration rollbacks, we now offer the capability for customers to revert the ECM/TCM calibrations to the earlier, non-inferred strategies. This function works much the same as the FICM reprogramming we currently offer and is even available either in-house (you send us your controller), in-vehicle (with a loaner unit), or via internet download (for customers that already have an Evolution or Gryphon programmer).

We offer several choices for this service:

1. ECM/TCM Rollback w/Stock Calibration: This returns your ECM/TCM to a more preferred earlier strategy. This strategy is completely stock and allows for the use of any standard programmer (SCT, Evo, Bully Dog, Predator, etc) to be used without interference.
Price: $75.00 plus shipping

2. ECM/TCM Rollback w/Modified Calibration: This returns your ECM/TCM calibration to a more preferred earlier strategy and also provides you with a custom ECM/TCM tune of your choice.
Price: $150.00 plus shipping

3. ECM/TCM Rollback w/Stock Calibration and Modified FICM: This returns your ECM/TCM to a more preferred earlier strategy and also includes our hybrid FICM strategy. The ECM/TCM strategy is completely stock and allows for the use of any standard programmer (SCT, Evo, Bully Dog, Predator, etc) to be used without interference.
Price: $200.00 plus shipping (* Saves $25.00!)

4. ECM/TCM Rollback w/Modified Calibration and Modified FICM: This returns your ECM/TCM calibration to a more preferred earlier strategy, provides you with a custom ECM/TCM tune of your choice, and also includes our hybrid FICM strategy.
Price: $250.00 plus shipping (* Saves $50.00!)

5. Hardware Deposit: If you do not currently have an Evolution or a Gryphon programmer, we can loan you the programming hardware. This helps keep your costs down and allows the use of programmers from other manufacturers.
Price: $250.00 (* Fully refundable upon return of the programmer in working condition)

If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Bill, Cody or Corey from Power Hungry Performance at (678) 963-9913.

Georgia Diesel Sun, May 30th, 2010 08:29 AM

i personally love it...the old tec3 on my truck is awesome..more power stock, better fuel mileage..what else can you ask for.

eabrust Sun, May 30th, 2010 11:24 AM

Very cool stuff.

Can you help out the 'un-ititiated'?

Is this primarily for 03-04 builds, or 05-07, or do you have something good for both?
Do you have any rough strategy ranges that you would say it is worth it for?
(ie, I have a VXCF7h3 strat on an '06, one of the latest and worst?). :shrug:

If one already has custom tunes written for there existing strategy, is this addititive? (ie, if you roll back the ecm, then re-do the tunes, to you gain more yet?)

Thanks for keeping up with such great tweaks. The remote tuning ability is especially neat to hear!

regards,
Eric

Georgia Diesel Sun, May 30th, 2010 12:58 PM

yes eric, this is for all years...each year model truck had different strategys.the earlier ones are alot better than the later ones..now he can not put a 03 stat on a 06 or 07 truck but he can roll back the current stat to a early one.like we put my truck back to the strat it had the day it rolled of the factory line but later we changed it to a tec 3 strat now..lil better fuel and power on the tec 3...its well worth the investment ...just my two cents

HeavyAssault Wed, June 2nd, 2010 08:15 AM

I loved the original Tow/Haul down shifting of my '04 but that was taken away with updates. I have tried to get tuners to replicate that style of TH with no success.

Is it possible to get that TCM strategy on my '06? Are there any recommended strategies for different years?

Jeremy Wed, June 2nd, 2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyAssault (Post 34868)
Is it possible to get that TCM strategy on my '06?

No not yet, Bill is working on it here and there when he gets time, he's getting close but does'nt have it done yet.

knkanji Wed, June 2nd, 2010 05:37 PM

Is it possible to get the pilot injection back in the 03's?

Jeremy Wed, June 2nd, 2010 09:56 PM

Yes if thats what you want...

MJ365 Sun, June 6th, 2010 09:26 PM

Thanks for coming out with this service. Emailed an order form in the other day. Really looking forward to having my truck's attitude sent back in time.

Farmer11 Tue, June 8th, 2010 07:02 PM

what is the difference between pilot injection and whatever it has now???

Jeremy Tue, June 8th, 2010 08:59 PM

The first 03's had pilot injection, which made them idle quietly....similar in noise level to a 6.4 but not quite. There was alot of injector issues with it so ford flashed it away.

MJ365 Tue, June 8th, 2010 09:06 PM

My dad's 03 was as quiet as the newer diesel trucks before it got reflashed when he brought it in for one of those supposed "free" oil changes even though nothing was wrong with it.

cartmanea Thu, June 17th, 2010 09:26 PM

How does TEC 3 compare with '03 strategies like VXAP1, VXAP0, or is it the same as VXAP0? Does the TEC 3 strategy still use the EBP sensor? I currently have VXAP1, and before I get custom tunes I want to either get the latest flash for the turbo, improved EGR operation, and any trans improvements, or go back to an early strategy for the better mileage and power. 3rd option I guess is to stick with VXAP1 and get FICM tuning.

StripperDJ Fri, June 18th, 2010 03:56 AM

personaly i would not get the lateset flash..fuel economy and power sucks..ford has really detuned these engines thru the years..if im not mistaken the tec4 is when they started the sweeping vanes on the turbo.actually we are putting my truck back to its origninal strat very soon with the pilot injection to do some testing.

cartmanea Fri, June 18th, 2010 10:26 AM

How do the TEC3 and TEC4 strategies compare with the VXAP0 and VXAP1 strategies? Are they mixed in there with a different naming convention, or were they earlier than even the VXAP0 strategy?

WD40 Sat, June 19th, 2010 01:25 AM

Had my 06 6.0 put back a few weeks ago when I was in GA. It didn't help my MPG as much as I had hoped it would, but the first time the wife got inside the truck she said it's not as loud as it was. I now love the way my Tow-Haul works, when pulling the 5th wheel. Wish the turbo would spool up faster.
My truck is stock.
Thanks again
Doug

StripperDJ Sun, June 20th, 2010 08:03 AM

The difference in the strats is just later tuning updates ford came out with tec1 i beleave thru tec7 is just how ford names them i have a tec3 currently all o3 are like the vxap blah blah...i think tec4 is where the sweeping veins at idle started tec1 or zero is where they had pilot injection..until recently the pilot injection would not work with IH heating..bill would have to go into greater detail on this for me.

MJ365 Mon, June 21st, 2010 11:53 AM

The TEC1,TEC3, and on correspond to Ford part numbers for replacement ECM/TCM units with specific strategy packages on them.TEC3 is printed on the ECM sticker with all the other info.
For example on my 04 the ECM/TCM is a "TBS6" unit that has VXBC9N8 and TQBF0NA strategies and they are crap. The power is way down from what is had new.
The last ones were VXBC7A3 and TQBE0AA before my latest reflash. They're crap too.
I don't know what the original strategies were on it new but it still didn't compare to my dad's 03.
Here's a link to a bunch of different ECM/TCM/FICM hardware part numbers and their 4 digit "control unit catchwords" and you will see how many different packages there are just for 2003. 2003 Ford F-series super duty firmware update database :disbelief::yikes2::shocked:

I would much rather have one of the TEC(X) strategy packages on my 04 truck any day of the week but I don't know how far backwards you can go with a particular ecm. That's another one for Bill to elaborate on I guess.

Farmer11 Mon, June 21st, 2010 06:59 PM

Just got mine put back to tec3 i believe today. So far didnt see a huge improvement in power, but i didnt really pay to much attention to it. when i tow later this i should be able to give a lil more info. It does seem to start better, doesnt crank as long as the old one. I had one of the tec 7 flashes, so we'll see if my mileage goes up!

MPTonyT Tue, June 22nd, 2010 05:11 PM

I'm looking to have my ECM and FICM rolled back. But for some reason I can't ever get through to anyone via the phone. Is it the ECM that gives the poor fuel mileage or is it the FICM or a combo of the two? Why would on roll back the FICM and not the ECM (this was an option offered by Bill via PM on powerstroke.org). I just want my fuel economy back.

Thanks,
Tony T.

Jeremy Tue, June 22nd, 2010 08:40 PM

Its mainly the FICM on the mpg part. The PCM/ECM can also effect the MPG but that is easily solved with a programmer(Gryphon, SCT etc), vs. the FICM with is more difficult to program, or a specialty so to speak. While its not necessary to flash the PCM/ECM when you do a FICM re-flash, some people just prefer the truck running the way it did new. A stock ECM/PCM and a Reprogrammed FICM will run better, than the same programmed FICM and a Ford Flashed ECM/PCM. Each ford flash de-tunes the trucks a little more and a little more.

I didn’t realize how much until, I changed the FICM in my 05 EX. While it ran better with the PHP FICM and the ford flashed PCM/ECM, it ran allot better when I changed the ECM/PCM back as well.(I have spare ECM/PCM's so I can change it back and forth to notice the difference).

I did bring to light my weak injectors, that the ford flashes cover-up/hide, but I'm still under warranty so I'll have them addressed.

MPTonyT Wed, June 23rd, 2010 08:26 AM

Well where do I sign up :cheesy smile: I need my f/e and performance back.

cleatus12r Wed, June 23rd, 2010 08:46 AM

Right here!

http://www.gopowerhungry.com/order_f...20Signable.pdf

MPTonyT Wed, June 23rd, 2010 10:21 AM

So just another question before i pull the trigger and thanks guys for your input. Is the “updated” FICM programing going to affect the life of my injectors, and is it going to negatively impact my fuel mileage from stock in any way? i want to make sure that im getting what i was getting from stock and then the added F/E via my custom tunes.

Thanks,
Tony T.

Power Hungry Wed, June 23rd, 2010 02:15 PM

The updated strategies we utilize have not shown any negative impact on either injector reliability or fuel economy. In fact, the whole reason we started offering FICM updates in the first place was to improve fuel economy. As we kept watching 6.0L performance going down the toilet with each reflash, we knew there had to be a fairly simple way to get that performance back. The trick is to do it without reintroducing any drivability issues for which the reflashes were trying to resolve.

I'm sure you'll be pleased. :2thumbs:

Take care.

MPTonyT Fri, June 25th, 2010 11:28 AM

OK So... I sent in my FICM programming request to Corey yesterday so hopefully ill hear from them soon so i can live the good life. :woot:

RedEagle58 Fri, June 25th, 2010 02:17 PM

I'm very interested in this procedure, and I apologize for my ignorance, but just so that I know what can happen. If I were to have the FICM and PCM/ECM programmed by PHP and then had a problem for the dealer to fix, and the dealer with their "infinite wisdom" were to "flash" my truck, I would then loose the PHP programming and need to re-program my FICM and PCM/ECM again. So would I need to insist to the dealer upfront that they ARE NOT to flash my truck even though they say that it needs to be??

Again, I apologize, I'm a newbie to this and still trying to learn by lurking :)
Thanks!!!

MPTonyT Fri, June 25th, 2010 02:21 PM

You are correct. The last flash applied to the vehicle is the one that will stick. so if the vehicle was flashed by PHP and then the dealer Flashed it, it will knock the PHP tuning out.

RedEagle58 Fri, June 25th, 2010 02:44 PM

Sounds like I need to save up to get a spare FICM and PCM/ECM to have on hand to change out whenever I need to go to the dealer then. So that they can flash it to their hearts content, and then change back to the PHP programmed units when I get back home.

Thanks for the reply, guess it's time to shift the priorities around so that I don't get burned by a dealer "oops, sorry:doh:" excuse later.

SICKS-O Wed, June 30th, 2010 12:47 AM

what is the best factory FICM calibration for power? i loaded a FICM calibration into my 06 from an 03 with BKG0. seems better just makes me wonder what calibration would be the "best". it would take a long time to try each one so i figured it would be easier to ask.

Farmer11 Thu, July 1st, 2010 07:47 AM

The hybrid strategy i have from PHP right now is the best i have had. add that with a rolled back ecm,tcm my mileage has jumped from around 13 to 16-18. thats well worth it in my mind. And when pulling my gooseneck i went from 8 to almost 10.

papachuck Thu, July 8th, 2010 10:03 AM

I have a 2003 with 135000mi, SCT with Erics Extreme Race. I have had 1 injector replaced. Still on the stock headgaskets, original turbo and trans.
The strategy codes I get off my SCT are VXANON2 and TQATOA3, is there going to be a noticable differance to rolling back or should I just get the FICM reprogrammed?

SICKS-O Mon, July 19th, 2010 04:59 PM

can someone tell me what ficm calibration id a truck would have with tear tag code TTP1 or KYN1

cartmanea Tue, July 20th, 2010 12:14 AM

I have the VXAP1 strategy on my '03, which is the 06E17 flash update which eliminated the EBP sensor. When I bought my truck wrecked, the PCM had a corner broken off of it and I JB Welded it back on, works fine. I did purchase one off Ebay as a spare and ran it briefly, it has an early strategy, either VXAM0 or VXAN0, can't remember which. A few questions.

1. Does this use the EBP sensor?
2. Which TEC # is it?
3. Is there anything special contained in the PCM (VIN, etc) which would prevent me from running the other PCM full time without issues? Do they enter build info when flashing (4x4, etc) or is it the same flash for all 6.0L Automatic trucks?

Thanks!

Jeremy Tue, July 20th, 2010 08:28 PM

I switch them around all the time...here are a few issues I've run into.

Vin numbers are different, and it pisses off the emission station people. :doh:

03 only work on 03's. 04's only work on 04's trucks and 05 excursions. A 03 truck will start, run and drive with a 04 PCM, and vise versa, but there are few things that are different. One of them is engine fan circuit, and the Tow/haul indicator won't work.

Some trucks do not have 4 wheel ABS, usually cheaper XL's.

Swapping a 05 to a newer truck works, but a 06-07 to a 05 can cause issues if the 05 was one of the ones built w/o a MAF sensor.

One thing I've noticed when going back in programming is the trucks that get programmed to ignore the EBP can run like crap after they get flashed back because they need a new EBP. One of those deals where that was the dealer fix ....."just flash it"

As for the other questions....We'll have to wait for Bill or Cody to answer.

cartmanea Tue, July 20th, 2010 10:00 PM

Good info, thanks. :thumbs up yellow:

cleatus12r Wed, July 21st, 2010 07:04 AM

I'll ask Bill today about this and give you an answer shortly.

cleatus12r Wed, July 21st, 2010 10:05 AM

papachuck-

If you haven't lost any mileage or had a reflash that killed your mileage, then you aren't going to see much difference if any with a rollback or FICM reflash.

SICKS-O-

Without the actual calibration contained in the FICM, it's impossible to say. However, if the boxes haven't been flashed then the VXC4H2 (TTP1) and the KYN1 (which is the calibration just previous to the TTP1) are good.

cartmanea-

The VXAM0 and VXAN0 are not assigned TEC numbers. The TEC number started with VXAN7. Both the VXAN and VXAM used the EBP sensor instead of inferred numbers. The VXAPs started the garbage EBP strategies.

cartmanea Wed, July 21st, 2010 11:09 AM

Thanks, I'll swap the early strategy in and see if my PowerMax turbo works better with the EBP sensor being used. :woot:

papachuck Thu, July 22nd, 2010 08:12 AM

Thanks for the information.

cartmanea Thu, July 22nd, 2010 10:22 AM

Installed the older PCM with EBP sensor and the truck runs better with less lag using my larger Garrett PowerMax turbo. I see about 4-5 psi more boost at WOT also. If you have a base strategy like VXAP1 that does not use the EBP sensor, can tuners write custom tunes that do use the EBP sensor, or are they limited by the strategy you run?

SICKS-O Wed, July 28th, 2010 12:22 PM

those results sound on par to what ive been told about the earlier strategies with out the infered EBP. more boost, less lag, better throttle response and better part throttle response. just make sure to clean your EBP tube and sensor or replace them if they are beyond repair.

cartmanea Thu, August 5th, 2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleatus12r (Post 37287)
cartmanea-

The VXAM0 and VXAN0 are not assigned TEC numbers. The TEC number started with VXAN7. Both the VXAN and VXAM used the EBP sensor instead of inferred numbers. The VXAPs started the garbage EBP strategies.

I was wrong on that early strategy I have, it is VXAM7A4. Any info on this and what TEC # it is if it has one? I really like how it drives with my PowerMax turbo, controls it much better and shifting seems better than my VXAP1 strategy as well.