Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gryphon Programmer (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   question re: display of COM GEAR (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2797)

ballisticmike Sun, January 3rd, 2010 04:58 PM

question re: display of COM GEAR

well my gryphon works awesome. I love the improved shifting!! I have not encountered any operational bugs at all.. so far so good. Also too soon to determine if gas milage improves.

I was setting up my display to show ECT, EOT, LOAD and COM GEAR.
Well com gear does not show up in that menu at all, i scrolled up n down several times. Is it unavailable ?

Longshot270 Sun, January 3rd, 2010 05:45 PM

No its there, I think it's on the bottom of the list...or at least somewhere down there. That is one of my four. :cheesy smile:

F150 Man 4Eva Sun, January 3rd, 2010 06:16 PM

One of my four as well.

ballisticmike Sun, January 3rd, 2010 08:53 PM

arg, i just scrolled thru (twice) and counted the displays listed ... i have
21 display options, the gryphon manual shows there 22 :sigh: weird.

Longshot270 Sun, January 3rd, 2010 09:03 PM

Hmmm, that is strange. Try finding it in another place. When you are at the main menu go to diagnostics>data stream options then see if you can find the COM GEAR by selecting a PID. If its not there then you should probably talk to Bill.

Power Hungry Mon, January 4th, 2010 09:27 AM

The firmware hasn't changed in forever and all the PIDs should be in there. Here's the list...

Engine RPM
Vehicle Speed
Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Oil Temp
Trans Fluid Temp
Cyl Head Temp
Intake Air Temp
Line Press Desired
Actual Fuel Rail Pres
Output Shaft Speed
Turbine Shaft Speed
Mass Air Flow
Mass Air Flow Volt
Variable Cam
Spark Adv
Torque Control
Engine Load
APP Sensor
BatteryVolt
Inst MPG
Avg MPG
Commanded Gear

Check and make sure that your firmware is version 3.02.0639. If it's not, you'll need to update the firmware.

Let me know.

ballisticmike Mon, January 4th, 2010 12:21 PM

ahh, its 2.50.3657
i'll try the firmaware update

ballisticmike Mon, January 4th, 2010 01:31 PM

is this link the firmware update instructions ? i ask because it just says "update your gryphon" not "update your firmware" . Want to be sure.
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/1034-post1.html

88Racing Mon, January 4th, 2010 01:40 PM

That looks like the right one.
Follow the instructions.

Corey Cohron RIP Fri, January 8th, 2010 02:58 PM

Is everything working for ya now, Mike?

ballisticmike Sat, January 9th, 2010 04:24 PM

i didnt update it yet

Jackpine Sat, January 9th, 2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballisticmike (Post 22668)
i didnt update it yet

If and when you do - Make sure you update JUST the firmware in the Gryphon, NOT the "calibration". A calibration update will wipe out any custom tune you have.

I honestly can't recall at this moment if you have custom tunes or not. If you still have ONLY canned tunes, then you can update everything. But, I'm trying to head off other people possibly wiping out their custom tune(s) with a calibration update.

And, yes, Mike - the Firmware update should give you the Com(manded) Gear display option.

- Jack

ballisticmike Sun, January 10th, 2010 12:54 PM

thanks, and yes i do have custom tunes

F150 Man 4Eva Mon, January 11th, 2010 06:15 PM

So I do have COM GEAR as one of my displays, and I was wondering what does the lock symbol represent when in 4th gear? It seems like the tranny shifts again and then it will show a little padlock symbol..??

Longshot270 Mon, January 11th, 2010 06:34 PM

It means that your torque converter is locked.

F150 Man 4Eva Mon, January 11th, 2010 06:59 PM

Oh ok, thanks. I guess I need to do a little research. I don't even know what the torque converter does.

Longshot270 Mon, January 11th, 2010 08:17 PM

Well this is a good place to find out because nobody here will be a jerk. :thumbs up yellow:
Here is a video so that you can also see how it works, also says why. This one is pretty good and to the point compared to some of the others.
YouTube - Torque Converter

This also helps show 'how' it fits together and where its located.
http://builderstransmission.com/imag...%20cutaway.jpg

ballisticmike Tue, January 12th, 2010 10:57 AM

hmm, interesting.. i didnt know about that stuff. Is OD the same as fifth gear? Does comgear show OD? I like to hit the OD button and turn it off ..
1. when on windy/hilly roads
2. going down long hills to control speed

are these mis-uses of the OD button? I know that button is mainly intended for trailer towing

Longshot270 Tue, January 12th, 2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballisticmike (Post 22864)
hmm, interesting.. i didnt know about that stuff. Is OD the same as fifth gear? Does comgear show OD? I like to hit the OD button and turn it off ..
1. when on windy/hilly roads
2. going down long hills to control speed

are these mis-uses of the OD button? I know that button is mainly intended for trailer towing

Overdrive just means the tires rotate faster than the engine.
Here are the ratios for the 4R75E transmission.
Gear-engine speed:tire rotation
1-2.84:1
2-1.55:1
3-1.00:1
4-00.7:1
So by looking at this table the 4th gear is called overdrive because the tires rotate 1.43 times for every time the engine rotates once.
Hitting the overdrive button will just keep your truck from going into 4th gear. If you are towing something and you hear/see/feel the truck shifting between 3rd and 4th constantly, you should hit that button. It is there to keep the transmission from shifting more than it needs to. If you are going down a long hill in just the truck, yeah, you can use it to slow down without touching the brakes. By doing that you force the truck into 3rd gear and start an engine brake. I've heard that engine braking with these lighter trucks isn't good if you have a really heavy load, but just the truck is fine most of the time.

You will also notice that when you hit the OD button the COM GEAR will change to 3 with the lock. This means that you downshifted to third and the torque converter locked.

*Oh and BTW, those numbers are before your axle. I was using a 1 to 1 axle ratio to make the differences easier to see. Otherwise I'd add in the typical 3.31:1, 3.55:1, 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 axle ratios.

Jackpine Tue, January 12th, 2010 07:30 PM

Nice post, Longshot! And, Mike, you use the O/D button the way I do pretty much. I've never worried about it in windy conditions, but in hilly terrain when the transmission is constantly downshifting and upshifting or the torque converter is unlocking and locking, then I lock it out. I'm perfectly happy to tow with the O/D on, if the transmission is not having to keep switching to maintain speed.

Yes, it does give SOME engine braking when going downhill when locked out and 2nd gear gives even more. I use both as needed. The stress on an engine/transmission combination is no worse, in my opinion, during engine braking than it is under acceleration. But, you can easily overheat brakes (even disk brakes) when going down twisty mountain roads. I hate seeing the constant brake lights on in the vehicles ahead of me in these conditions. Even more, I hate smelling their overheated brakes!

Comm Gear shows O/D as 4th gear, unless you have a 2009+ truck (they have 6 gear ranges).

- Jack

Longshot270 Tue, January 12th, 2010 07:45 PM

After thinking about it, I can see the appeal of taking it out of O/D in windy conditions. It wont feel like you ran into a wall if a strong gust hits you. I occasionally take the truck out of O/D in the city where my speed ranges from 5-45 mph. I'll even shift into 2nd if traffic is bad. I remember that locking it into 1st gear came in handy when I was hauling 3 kayaks and gear (plus an almost full ice chest :hehe:) through Austin during rush hour.

So then on the newer ones is 6th gear O/D? I havent seen the new ratios, but I know they are floating on the internet somewhere. Time to go cyberfishing. :hehe:
(I bet Bill is completely thrilled about the two extra gears he needs to tune for:hehe:)

Jackpine Tue, January 12th, 2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longshot270 (Post 22919)
After thinking about it, I can see the appeal of taking it out of O/D in windy conditions. It wont feel like you ran into a wall if a strong gust hits you. I occasionally take the truck out of O/D in the city where my speed ranges from 5-45 mph. I'll even shift into 2nd if traffic is bad. I remember that locking it into 1st gear came in handy when I was hauling 3 kayaks and gear (plus an almost full ice chest :hehe:) through Austin during rush hour.

So then on the newer ones is 6th gear O/D? I havent seen the new ratios, but I know they are floating on the internet somewhere. Time to go cyberfishing. :hehe:
(I bet Bill is completely thrilled about the two extra gears he needs to tune for:hehe:)

I'm sure Bill's overjoyed.

I don't have the new ratios at the tip of my fingers, but my understanding is they were added below the current O/D ratio - so it remains the same. I don't know if they added a "super low", or if it stayed the same too, and they just added two extra ranges in between the top and the bottom.

I think for towing, I'd appreciate the extra "granularity". I often find 3rd gear too weak, but then 2nd gear is too strong. it needs something in between. However, when not towing, the 4-speed seems fine to me.

Wonder if it's possible to "skip" some of the intermediate gearing when not towing? (In other words, shift more like a 4-speed).

- Jack

Longshot270 Tue, January 12th, 2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackandJanet (Post 22925)
I don't have the new ratios at the tip of my fingers, but my understanding is they were added below the current O/D ratio - so it remains the same. I don't know if they added a "super low", or if it stayed the same too, and they just added two extra ranges in between the top and the bottom.

I think for towing, I'd appreciate the extra "granularity". I often find 3rd gear too weak, but then 2nd gear is too strong. it needs something in between. However, when not towing, the 4-speed seems fine to me.

Wonder if it's possible to "skip" some of the intermediate gearing when not towing? (In other words, shift more like a 4-speed).

- Jack

Hmm, you got me thinking so I did some digging. I just read an article and it sounds like you can skip gears.
Kept digging further and I found rumors that said they were 3.97, 2.32, 1.52, 1.15, .86, .67
I kinda like the new ratios if they are true. I would like a lower 1st and two O/D gears for better mileage at higher speeds. But the guys who want to dyno them are going to have even more issues. Our transmission has a 1:1 ratio in 3rd, looks like the newer one doesn't even have a 1:1 ratio. They say it jumps from 1.15 to the .86. And I guess to lower the shock of the shifts they are adding lower axle combos to go with it.

Here is where I found most of the information, its a pretty good article if you have time to read it.
I might jump ship - Diesel Place

Wow, its really looking like Bill has a lot on his plate for JUST the transmissions, not to mention they have 2 4.6s(I'm wondering how they souped up the high power one), the 5.4 and the 6+ liter engines.
I'm not sure how he's going to get all the shifting stratagies right on the new 6R140s because Ford is leaving all kinds of controls open to the driver. (probably so when something goes boom they can point the finger at the owner quicker)

On ours we can go in and pick where the truck shifts and locks with the 1st, 2nd and O/D. But now the driver can also make the stock truck skip every other gear or lock out the top O/D. I'm not sure how he'll be able to account for that.:shrug:

88Racing Tue, January 12th, 2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longshot270 (Post 22929)
Hmm, you got me thinking so I did some digging. I just read an article and it sounds like you can skip gears.
Kept digging further and I found rumors that said they were 3.97, 2.32, 1.52, 1.15, .86, .67
I kinda like the new ratios if they are true. I would like a lower 1st and two O/D gears for better mileage at higher speeds. But the guys who want to dyno them are going to have even more issues. Our transmission has a 1:1 ratio in 3rd, looks like the newer one doesn't even have a 1:1 ratio. They say it jumps from 1.15 to the .86. And I guess to lower the shock of the shifts they are adding lower axle combos to go with it.

Here is where I found most of the information, its a pretty good article if you have time to read it.
I might jump ship - Diesel Place

Wow, its really looking like Bill has a lot on his plate for JUST the transmissions, not to mention they have 2 4.6s(I'm wondering how they souped up the high power one)ones a 2v and the other is a 3v, the 5.4 and the 6+ liter engines.
I'm not sure how he's going to get all the shifting stratagies right on the new 6R140s because Ford is leaving all kinds of controls open to the driver. (probably so when something goes boom they can point the finger at the owner quicker)No more od on off button. The button is now the tow/haul selector and it changes the tranny strategies.

On ours we can go in and pick where the truck shifts and locks with the 1st, 2nd and O/D. But now the driver can also make the stock truck skip every other gear or lock out the top O/D. I'm not sure how he'll be able to account for that.:shrug:

Some answers in red
Here's a link to a recent thread on the tow/haul button:http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/2009-...overdrive.html

Longshot270 Wed, January 13th, 2010 11:10 AM

Maybe we should all add "the little red button" off of Men In Black to our trucks so when someone that is used to the new trucks asks, "what does that do?" we can push it and go zooooooom...thanks to the automatic downshift. :cheesy smile: