Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gryphon Programmer (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Question about rough running after customizing the tune (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2918)

ticopowell Fri, January 15th, 2010 01:15 AM

Question about rough running after customizing the tune

I dont know if I just am not doing it right, but when i try to customize a tune I can go input everything, the WOT adjustment, tire size, etc... but when i start my truck after the new program is installed the engine starts, but runs really really rough and then dies. I have tried it twice and each time the same thing happened. As soon as i change it back to stock or to one of Bill's tunes it goes back to normal.
Am I doing something wrong? or is there something wrong with the programmer?
I honestly hope that it is just me so I dont have to bother Bill or Corey too much. anyone know? thanks :)
and just on a side note, I ordered my Class Ring this week :happy-dancing::woot::cheesy smile:, I dont know how much anyone really knows about that on here, but It is a big deal for a cadet :).

shotgun Fri, January 15th, 2010 04:39 AM

You ordered your "crass mass of brass and glass"? How many days to ring weekend?

ticopowell Fri, January 15th, 2010 09:59 AM

well that is the sucker here... they havent announced it, either the 2nd or 3rd weekend in may. spent way too freakin much on it haha! oh and no brass here, we use white gold haha, just a little better than the brass from hudson high :D :smiley_roll1:

shotgun Fri, January 15th, 2010 10:02 AM

I still remember my ring weekend (many moons ago). I felt like I was finally in the home stretch.

Post some pics when you get it!

ticopowell Fri, January 15th, 2010 10:21 AM

Of course :D and I love your quote!

Jackpine Fri, January 15th, 2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticopowell (Post 23079)
Of course :D and I love your quote!

I think the quote's one of the best I've seen in a long time too! Colin Powell seemed a VERY intelligent General.

Back to your problem: Try using the custom options menu again, but this time, DO NOT adjust the WOT fuel (I'm assuming you may have tried resetting that before). In the past, that particular adjustment has caused the symptoms you describe. Leaving it alone seems to make everything fine.

Why this should be, I don't know. But, you probably do not need to change the WOT fuel anyway. Bill has it set so you get enough in any high demand situation. Let us know if this fixes the problem, please.

Now, if it's not that setting, it's probably one of the others. You can try adjusting each of them, one at a time, until you find the one that causes the problem. Then, tell us which one it is.

- Jack

ticopowell Fri, April 2nd, 2010 03:00 PM

so yeah what you said worked, didnt touch the WOT and it works just fine. I have had a few other small issues that worked themselves out, I needed to tow my dad's boat, so i did the 87 tow tune(custom) and when i started the truck it started, but it wouldnt hold an idle, it would rev, then relax, then rev then relax. All i did was make sure it had the right tire size and changed the timing to deal with the better fuel that was and still is in the tank (91 octane). If i remember right the first time i did that the truck died after a few seconds. so i reinstalled the tune with the exact same settings... and it worked fine without any problems!. when i switched it back to the performance tune it did the same thing, so i reinstalled it and it worked fine. any ideas?:hmmm:\
oh and PS the ring dance is set for the weekend of the 21st of may :D ill be sure to post some pics then!:woot::happy-dancing:

Longshot270 Fri, April 2nd, 2010 04:35 PM

I'm curious, what did you try setting the WOT fuel to when it acted funky?
Also are you going through each menu and changing each setting or are you just changing tunes and using the "Load Previous Settings"?
I would leave the timing alone while towing anything, even if you are using a higher grade fuel. This almost sounds like what my truck did when I took the intake snorkel out of the fender and had a breeze blow over it.

See if it still does that when you use all of the adjusted settings besides timing advancement.

88Racing Fri, April 2nd, 2010 04:36 PM

Just some advice on custom tunes.

If they ain't broke don't fix them.

Bill has got them set up to maximize the performance of your truck within safe parameters.

If Bill tells you to adjust something then adjust it but otherwise leave the artist's painting alone.

Peace!:)

Jackpine Fri, April 2nd, 2010 04:41 PM

I'd leave the timing alone too. The one time I tried advancing the timing, by a mere 0.25 degrees, it caused the idle to wander all over the place.

- Jack

ticopowell Sat, April 3rd, 2010 02:42 AM

I dont remember the original setting, i think i just bumped it up .1 for the WOT. but after not touching that and changing the timing for the gas i think 2 degrees like the manual said (.5 for every octane rating) the idle wandered. The first time I adjusted it i changed the tire size and timing, the second time loading it i just hit the previous settings spot and then loaded the tune and it ran fine. but yeah I think I will just leave it how it is right now since I am not having any problems with it. I think the last time I loaded a program i just changed the tire size, but im not sure. I think in the morning I will just reload the setting with no changes at all just to make sure nothing happens in the future. and with the tire size I think the speedo is now farther off than when it was, and I used numbers given in the manual for my tire size. oh well lol...

Thanks for all the advise and help :howdy:

Jackpine Sat, April 3rd, 2010 11:10 PM

We have an online tire size calculator now. It's here: Power Hungry Performance Forum - FAQ: Utilities

Just enter your tire information and leave the "squish value" at 7. Hit "calculate" and it should give a very close number to your actual tire size, adjusted properly for "squish".

- Jack

ticopowell Sun, April 4th, 2010 02:41 AM

for some reason the page isnt working... :shrug: but im not too worried about it, I towed a small trailer yesterday and even though i thought that it wasnt necessary i changed it to a tow program without any customization, then when i was done i changed it back to the 93 perf tune and both times i didnt have any trouble, and actually right now the speedo matches what the GPS says for most of the time :D, so I guess i will just load what is there unless i need to make a big change :), thanks for all the help :cheesy smile:

But now I do have another problem, not related to the gryphon. I think my heater core has a leak because I am getting a strong smell of antifreeze and my windows are fogging up with some substance. The same thing happened in my 1986 F-150 and I just replaced it, took an hourish. but with this one im looking at my only resource, a haynes manual, and It looks like i have to take almost the entire dashboard off :cursin: so yeah... if anyone knows of a better way that wont be so annoying or that wont cost me $700 in labor at a shop (Yeah i asked to see what they could do :/) please let me know! thanks!

ticopowell Wed, April 7th, 2010 11:21 PM

so during the process of removing my dashboard to fix my heater core I realized that it was a lot of work, and since my truck has 150000 miles that i would be doing more work like it in the future, that i would see if i could sell it, so i went to a dealer that ive been to before and they seemed trustworthy, so i asked, and they appraised my truck and after negotiating i got them to give me $10,000 for my truck!!! that is $1000 more than what i paid for it! I bought a 2005 F-150 with the 5.4 3V, extended cab, 6.5' bed, hitch, and a few other things!
ok so now i have a few questions, I already programmed my truck to stock and removed my gryphon, so what do i need to do to get it to fit on my new truck? I am guessing that I need to send it in or something and get it updated, and probably a new cable. let me know what options i have for that :) thanks :D ill post some pics too!:cheesy smile::woot::happy-dancing::D

88Racing Thu, April 8th, 2010 07:39 AM

Congrats on the new/used truck!:)
What you'll need to do is get the other cable.
Cables can be purchased from either Edge or PHP.
After that goto pegasus and update the gryphon, which will wipe out your custom tunes for the old truck and allow you to use canned tunes while you wait for new custom tunes. Then you need to get the truck's Hex code and email an order form.
Hope this helps.

Peace!:)

88Racing Thu, April 8th, 2010 08:31 AM

Forgot to add in that the dash pod will also be switched.

ticopowell Thu, April 8th, 2010 10:31 AM

thanks! i knew about the dash pod, and i was hoping it was just a cable switch! :D, and yeah im gonna wait on the custom tunes until i customize something, i am going to do the gotts mod equivalent to start out but that doesnt need any customizing according to what i have seen, And then i might do something else, but nothing too big for a long time :/

Jackpine Thu, April 8th, 2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticopowell (Post 29579)
thanks! i knew about the dash pod, and i was hoping it was just a cable switch! :D, and yeah im gonna wait on the custom tunes until i customize something, i am going to do the gotts mod equivalent to start out but that doesnt need any customizing according to what i have seen, And then i might do something else, but nothing too big for a long time :/

I'm pretty sure you can make your old pod work, if you want to delay changing it. My unit was originally an Edge and it came with the old style pod. It worked ok until I found out about the new pods and got one of those.

- Jack

ticopowell Thu, April 8th, 2010 01:47 PM

yeah that sounds cheaper than getting a new one :D, how did you make it work? anything special or just jury-rigged it in there? how much is the new cable going to cost? any idea?

Jackpine Thu, April 8th, 2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticopowell (Post 29605)
yeah that sounds cheaper than getting a new one :D, how did you make it work? anything special or just jury-rigged it in there? how much is the new cable going to cost? any idea?

No ideas on the cable. In my case, the old style pod just sat on the dash without even being held there at all. The rigidity of the cable was enough to hold things in place well enough. I finally decided I wanted it to sit just a bit higher on the dash though, so I used some "heavy duty" double stick tape under the back edge of the pod - where it "flattens out" to match the dash.

- Jack

ticopowell Thu, April 8th, 2010 10:00 PM

that seems like it would work, and i think that or velcro so it can be reused would do the trick to hold it on there :)

ticopowell Sat, April 10th, 2010 01:29 PM

I got a response from Corey, so you know to redo the gryphon for the new truck will cost $50 and the pod is $40, so I am going to send those in asap! I love my new truck but the shifting isnt what im used to... seems to take a while to downshift if i feel like passing someone :( so hopefully the canned tunes that it comes with will fix that up! oh and i do need to send in the old gryphon for them to work on it, so after i do that it should be back here in a week or 10... :hehe: hopefully less!
thanks for the help, enjoy the weekend

Jackpine Sat, April 10th, 2010 03:59 PM

I think you'll see an immediate improvement in the downshift delay that occurs when you want to pass someone. I know I did. Until I got my custom tunes, I simply used the Level 2 tune, all the time! And, I didn't try to "customize" anything.

- Jack

ticopowell Sun, April 11th, 2010 12:19 PM

That is probably what i will do too, just level tune til i get custom ones, but since I will probably do the troyer efans and underpulleys at the same time, in a month or two (most likely over summer) I will do the custom tunes then, but again it all comes down to money haha