Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Upgrade your Evo (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Evolution problem (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3060)

DarkShadowSTX Tue, February 2nd, 2010 10:47 AM

Evolution problem

I have had the code P061F Internal Control Module Throttle Actuator Controller Performance come up several times when driving. I have an 08 STX 4.6L and the Edge Evolution. When my stuck is in any level, this still happens. I also get the code whether or not I have my CAI installed and the rest of the truck is stock. Every time it happens, I clear the code and I'm fine but what is causing my truck to keep throwing this code?

88Racing Tue, February 2nd, 2010 11:12 AM

Put it back to stock and drive it like that for a week.
To see if anything else is going on.
Are you opening any of the custom options when loading a tune?
Its stang that its doing it in all 3 tunes. Usually it happens with level 2 towing tune. It sounds like all of the tunes are missing something in a file.
Before you start throwing parts at it contact edge and see what they have to say.
JMHO

DarkShadowSTX Tue, February 2nd, 2010 11:24 AM

I've been in stock for probably 2 months. It is soooooo boring now. I was not opening any custom options either. Edge told me that there was a TSB out and to take it to a dealer to get the PCM updated. I called a dealer and they told me they didn't know anything about this and that I would have to leave my truck there to figure it out. I need my truck everyday for work so I wasn't going to leave my truck there if they hadn't even heard of something like this before.

88Racing Tue, February 2nd, 2010 11:34 AM

Did you happen to get the TSB number from edge?

88Racing Tue, February 2nd, 2010 11:37 AM

Its not going to hurt anything but try to update your edge using their website.

DarkShadowSTX Tue, February 2nd, 2010 02:02 PM

I have tried to update the Edge probably 6 times over the last 3 months and there were no updates. Edge did not tell me the TSB number. I can try and get that from them now and see what happens. I am just frustrated because other people can run theirs with CAIs and I can't even run any level with a stock truck. It would always throw the code within 5 minutes of startup and when it is cold outside. But I did have it happen twice in the middle of driving even when the truck was at normal operating temp. I'm desperate for help at this point.

88Racing Tue, February 2nd, 2010 03:12 PM

Like you already have stated and I'll state it too. Something isn't right.
Give edge one more shot and maybe you'll get a tech that won't chalk this up to needing a TSB.
I'll post a note on the moderators board.

DarkShadowSTX Tue, February 2nd, 2010 03:14 PM

Thanks for the help

88Racing Tue, February 2nd, 2010 03:25 PM

I'm also checking into a resource on your code and I'll post something up if I find anything after 10:00pm cst tonight.

88Racing Tue, February 2nd, 2010 03:54 PM

Did you ever do anything suggested in this thread?
Evolution problem - F150online Forums
You got some great advice in here.

DarkShadowSTX Tue, February 2nd, 2010 04:17 PM

I tried taking the PCM connectors off, checked them and they were fine. I have not taken it to the dealer yet because they don't know about the TSB that I was told about and I'm afraid they will charge me just to look at it and then say nothing is even wrong. How could it be anything with my throttle body when it drives just fine in stock mode? Plus I bought the truck brand new in September 08 so I find it highly unlikely that it would be the TB.

88Racing Tue, February 2nd, 2010 04:33 PM

Part of the problem is that when you load the program into the pcm. Its loading in a different set of values. One of the values in edge's programming isn't jiving with the limits set in the pcm. Thus the code.
That why a lot of people are encouraging you to get a reflash of the pcm and when that happens you will get a different calibration code that the edge's programming might be more compatible with.
This is an issue that edge should address.
If the code isn't present when pcm is stock program then it is not your TB its more or less the calibration code and having compatibility issues with the edge.
Bill is going to have to look into this if edge can't help you.
Other brands of programmers have done this in the past also.
Usually the programming company is up on their stuff and can provide an update to fix the issue. A reflash might work also.
If you can put your HEX/calibration code in your user cp so Bill can see it.

DarkShadowSTX Thu, February 4th, 2010 05:29 AM

I just heard back from Edge and they told me that it was TSB 05-18-12. I tried putting my truck in level 1 yesterday morning and let my truck get to normal operating temp before I drove it. I went to the store and then put my truck on level 2. I drove all day yesterday with no problems or codes. I don't know what could have changed but my truck is working with the tunes now but I was cautious the whole day because I was just waiting for it to go into limp-mode. I still think that this problem exists though and would like to know why I kept getting that code.

88Racing Thu, February 4th, 2010 06:52 AM

Bill was supposed to respond but? Hasn't.
Interesting that it also goes into limp mode.
Try to call Bill.

DarkShadowSTX Thu, February 4th, 2010 08:26 AM

Limp mode is what it goes into when the code is thrown.

88Racing Thu, February 4th, 2010 10:08 AM

I don't know if edge is smelling or sniffing crack.
That TSB they gave you does not apply to your truck?!
It applies to late 2004+2005.
05-18-12•**MIL ON WITH DTC P061B AND/OR P2106 AFTER COLD START AND RAPID TRANSMISSION GEAR ENGAGEMENT - VEHICLES BUILT 8/23/2004 THROUGH 1/15/2005 - 5.4L 3-VALVE ENGINE

It doesn't even show the right DTC number that you are getting.
Know wonder the dealer techs looked at you all confused.

DarkShadowSTX Thu, February 4th, 2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Racing (Post 24243)
I don't know if edge is smelling or sniffing crack.
That TSB they gave you does not apply to your truck?!
It applies to late 2004+2005.
05-18-12•**MIL ON WITH DTC P061B AND/OR P2106 AFTER COLD START AND RAPID TRANSMISSION GEAR ENGAGEMENT - VEHICLES BUILT 8/23/2004 THROUGH 1/15/2005 - 5.4L 3-VALVE ENGINE

It doesn't even show the right DTC number that you are getting.
Know wonder the dealer techs looked at you all confused.

Edge was sure a lot of help.:notallthere: Well I drove again today with no issues so I don't know why I was getting codes before. Could taking off the PCM connectors have fixed it? Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

88Racing Thu, February 4th, 2010 05:57 PM

If your only running level 1 tune. Its only changing the settings for the transmission.
The other 2 tunes are changing settings in both the engine and transmission.
The problem lies in between the edge's program and the pcm's settings.

DarkShadowSTX Mon, February 8th, 2010 06:27 AM

I got the code P061F twice this last week, once on level 2 and once on level 1. Now I am back to stock and looking for a solution again.

88Racing Mon, February 8th, 2010 08:08 AM

Since Bill is pretty busy and can't answer on the forums try to call him @ PHP.
That's the best I can do. :shrug:

DarkShadowSTX Tue, February 23rd, 2010 04:25 AM

I have been wanting to upgrade to a gryphon, so would my truck not throw the code with the gryphon? I know its probably a longshot but I figure maybe my PCM might work better with the gryphon for some reason. Also I wanted to get custom tunes but I will hold off until I know for sure that I don't need to get a reflash. If I get a reflash, that only affects custom tunes correct?

88Racing Tue, February 23rd, 2010 08:16 AM

Yep.
The reflash only effects custom tunes.

DarkShadowSTX Sun, February 28th, 2010 07:33 PM

One more thing. I am going to send in my Edge to PHP for a Gryphon with canned tunes tomorrow and I have read, I think it was somewhere on F150online, that for an upgrade you should get it insured. Does that mean get insurance from UPS for the cost of the Edge or what else would it mean? I have sent out 3 Xbox 360s to Microsoft before for repairs and not had them insured with UPS and had no problems but maybe I was just lucky. Anyway, I really appreciate all your help with everything. Thanks.

88Racing Mon, March 1st, 2010 05:20 AM

Why PHP recomend's insuring the edge is because you never know?:shrug:
Fairly cheap to insure it over the cost of replacing it.

DarkShadowSTX Mon, March 1st, 2010 05:28 AM

I agree. Thanks. Now is the best time for me to upgrade because its winter and I can't use the tunes anyway because of all the snow and ice and safety reasons. By upgrading now, I will already have a Gryphon for when I get my custom tunes, whenever I find out if my PCM has to be reflashed to fix my code issue.

88Racing Mon, March 1st, 2010 05:38 AM

Your custom tunes will come back on your upgraded edge that has been upgraded to the gryphon.
You can still use the custom tunes in the winter because no matter what time of year it is, the new strategies are better for your truck than what the factory put in.

Peace:)

Roller Wed, March 10th, 2010 09:49 PM

I joined this forum solely to reply to this thread. I have an 07 STX 4.6L and I am in the exact same boat as DarkShadowSTX. I get the same error code. It always happens right off the line from a dead stop. Warm or cold, doesn't make a difference. All of the custom tunes with the Evo also make the gas pedal super sensitive. Just the slightest movement makes the truck lurch forward.

For the fun details...I used the 93/performance tune for several months and did my best to avoid the error code by babying the throttle off the line. Once off the line I have no worries and therein developed the real problems. At 18,000 miles I had to get an entirely new transmission. It started with a whine sound coming from the rear end then a few weeks later the transmission light lit up on the dash. Put it back to stock, removed the pod and took it in to the stealership where they reported back that the bearings were compacted and the entire tranny was shot. They replaced it free o' charge with my warranty but now I am VERY hesitant to tune it again. As it is now the Evo is simply a digital monitor on my dashboard.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, when I tuned it to 93/performance I had all kinds of problems with the P061F error. One thing that seemed to help was resetting all the sensor parameters by unhooking the battery for 10 minutes or so. It seemed like it helped but it still produced the error every now and again, just not as often. I have talked to a lot of people(mechanics, car nuts, etc.) but none have solved the issue as far as the error and gas pedal sensitivity go.

88Racing Wed, March 10th, 2010 10:47 PM

In 07-08 Ford did change the sensitivity setting in the hex calibrations. So now I'm wondering if the canned tunes are amplifying it?

DarkShadowSTX Thu, March 11th, 2010 04:29 AM

Roller, did you only have the problem when you were in the 93 mode? Also how often were you running in in 93? I only ran 93 for 1 tank and I would always run it in tow mode the rest of the time. Did you always have the code pop up from the day you got your Edge? I never got the code until the weather got colder and even then it was hit or miss.

Roller Sat, March 13th, 2010 11:40 PM

The code appeared in all the tunings from day 1. I ran 93 for a few months and most problems occurred in that tuning. However, I had issues in all 3 tunings. Overly sensitive gas pedal, the throttle actuator controller error and the transmission crappin' out.

DarkShadowSTX, have you noticed any change in the sensitivity of the throttle with any of the tunings?

DarkShadowSTX Sun, March 14th, 2010 06:14 AM

Sensitivity was high for levels 2 and 3, but that is normal because the Edge is supposed to get rid of the throttle lag. In level 2 or 3, I had to watch when I back up in a parking lot because the truck moved quick and I would also spin out in my gravel driveway easily without trying. The last time I got the code, I was going between modes and had the sensitive throttle on level 1, which I had never experienced before because 1 was only supposed to change the tranny shifts. Was there ever a tranny code or anything like that that ever appeared with the p061f? My Edge was sent in and now I'm waiting for my Gryphon to be shipped out with canned tunes only because I have read that Bill writes better canned tunes than Edge and I was hoping that the Gryphon would work better with my PCM and that my code issue was just with the Edge.

88Racing Sun, March 14th, 2010 06:30 AM

Good info gentlemen now hopefully Bill will see this.

Roller Sun, March 14th, 2010 12:49 PM

That was the way I felt about Level 1 as well but sure enough my throttle was super sensitive. Not all that big of a problem once you get used to it, just didn't expect it is all. I got the P061F error several times(more than a dozen) before I ever received a transmission error. After all the P061F errors I started to hear the whining from the transmission, then about a week later the dash light came on with a flashing transmission error. The Evo never threw any kind of transmission error though. I'd love to hear if the Gryphon works out better for you Shadow. I, too, hope for the same...just an Evo/PCM issue.

DarkShadowSTX Sun, March 14th, 2010 04:40 PM

I'll find out hopefully by the end of the month. Was the transmission whine constant? I would like to know what to look or listen for so my tranny doesn't go out on me. I have only had the code come up about 10 times total. Once you would get the p061f code, would you put it back in stock or what did you do each time? Also, before your tranny went, did you ever get the p061f code in stock mode? Thanks for everything. I am glad that I now know that I'm not the only one that has had this recurring code issue.

Roller Sun, March 14th, 2010 05:38 PM

Once the whine started it was most likely constant but I could only hear it at low RPM due to my exhaust, road noise and wind noise, etc. If it weren't for driving down my alley with the windows down I might not have even heard it. It was a very subtle sound. When the P061F error would occur, most of the time I would just restart the truck. Sometimes I'd reprogram but normally just the restart and continue on. Oh and when that error does happen the truck is practically a paperweight. Feels like it's running on one cylinder or something. So I'd limp over to the side of the road or into a parking lot and restart. The error has never occurred in stock.

Looking forward to hearing about the Gryphon!

DarkShadowSTX Sun, March 14th, 2010 06:10 PM

I'm excited too. Driving in stock mode sucks. I've been in stock for at least 2 months now.

DarkShadowSTX Sat, April 3rd, 2010 01:05 PM

Got my Gryphon on Wed. and have not had the p061f code pop up. I only got the canned tunes for now but I think I'll send in my order for a custom tune this weekend. I did get the code p061b, which I've never seen before, on the second day but cleared it and have not had a problem since and it's about 250 miles later. That code means Powertrain: Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance. I searched it on this forum and a few other people had this happen. It is supposed to appear right after the tow tune is loaded and the truck is started. I got the code about 40 miles after the tune was loaded and my truck went into limp mode just like with the p061f. Some replies to the threads on this issue stated that it happens with the canned tow tune, immediately following a loaded tune, and with a cold air intake. Everything basically applied to my situation. It was 40 miles after the loading of the tune but it was right when I started my truck and when I was pulling up a hill to get out of a driveway. Bill had stepped on a few of those and said that it was most likely because of running the tow tune with a CAI and that a custom tune will fix it. So for now I'm going to fill up this weekend with 93 and try that tune but I'll be waiting for my custom 87 perf tune to be done. Don't worry, I'll keep you guys updated.

Roller Mon, January 10th, 2011 11:29 PM

So I know it has been a while for this thread to have any life on it but I'm really interested in hearing an update from Shadow. Did Bill work his mojo with the Gryphon and all is good?

I ask cuz I sent my EVO in last week for a Gryphon and a custom tune. I'm hoping this will clean up the P061F error.

DarkShadowSTX Tue, January 11th, 2011 05:22 AM

All is great man. I first started with an 87 perf tune. No codes have ever popped up to this day. Now I have the 87 perf tune as well as an 87 tow and 93 perf. All tunes work great and having no codes is the best part. Bill does an amazing job and is also very helpful. :thumbs up yellow: You should also have no problem once you get your custom tunes, Bill knows what he is doing and is very good at it. Once you get past the long wait to get the Gryphon and tunes, (I waited at least 3 weeks 3 separate times myself), you will be very happy with the results.

hampsterzone Tue, January 11th, 2011 10:51 PM

Trust you me bro, these guys have their ducks in a tight row! And if they don't have the answer they most definitely do their best to get it. My suggestion is, listen and be descriptive to save time. As for me, I have no idea how to fix your problem. But I am with you on having concerns. Good luck!

88Racing Mon, February 7th, 2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkShadowSTX (Post 42940)
All is great man. I first started with an 87 perf tune. No codes have ever popped up to this day. Now I have the 87 perf tune as well as an 87 tow and 93 perf. All tunes work great and having no codes is the best part. Bill does an amazing job and is also very helpful. :thumbs up yellow: You should also have no problem once you get your custom tunes, Bill knows what he is doing and is very good at it. Once you get past the long wait to get the Gryphon and tunes, (I waited at least 3 weeks 3 separate times myself), you will be very happy with the results.

Glad Bill got you going......:thumbs up yellow:

JoeBiker Sun, August 19th, 2012 05:32 PM

P061 musings

First my CS unit was defective and replaced by EDGE and is just over 2 months old.

I have been running the canned tow tune for 2 months (2007 xcab 4x4 4.6 l). I just changed gears from 3.55 to 4.10 and installed a true trac in the rear.

The shop drained my battery with the truck on the hoist. Good info to know since I was going to update the custom settings for the new gears and re-program.

So after charging the battery for 1.5 days , today I went into the custom settings and changed the tire size and gear ration on the CS.

For sure throttle response with the level 2 tow tune and no corrections for the gears was INSTANT.

I'm still running stock tires but according to the PHP calculator I needed to up the size by 1" as opposed to the data on the CS. ( I'm not sure if tire squish is built into the calculator).The CS had 3.73 set as factory default so I changed this to the new 4.10 ratio.

Then I returned the truck to the stock tune , went in the custom settings to ensure the custom settings were still there then re-programmed to the level 2 tow tune.

Drove out in to the street , cruised down to the first stop sign and as soon as I pulled out into the main highway traffic (a normal dose of go pedal) the truck goes into limp mode. I pulled over shut her down and re-started and eventually got it home. CS identified the P061B code. Which I cleared and the truck has gone for a couple short drives with no issues.

I have no modifications to the air intake and my throttle body was just cleaned. I have read about CAI , MAS, throttle body all being possible culprits but in my case I'm fairly dubious about those causing the problem.

I've also read people have had this code reoccur 10 -20 times so I guess we will just have to wait and see. This issue supposedly happens more often when running the level 2 canned tune??Custom tunes seem to put this issue to rest ??

My question is if we are in general agreement with Bill that a custom tune will solve the problem why can't the root cause of the code being thrown be clearly specified. Let me re-state what is the difference between the canned tunes and a custom program that supposedly makes all the difference in resolving this code?

JoeBiker Wed, August 22nd, 2012 08:44 AM

P061 Musings

Several drives later and no issues (knock on wood). Maybe the PCM "Adaptive learning" deal is coming into play. One would expect in my case my CS has a more current file than the truck which hasn't been reflashed at the dealer in some time.