Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Troyer pulleys (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6462)

gusto Fri, April 29th, 2011 11:57 PM

Troyer pulleys

Has anyone here installed the troyer pulleys? Is it really hard to do, any one have videos or pics to post up for this? this would be greatly appreciated:help:

Jackpine Sat, April 30th, 2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusto (Post 47486)
Has anyone here installed the troyer pulleys? Is it really hard to do, any one have videos or pics to post up for this? this would be greatly appreciated:help:

I THINK 88Racing did, about a year or more ago. He posted in here about it. You can probably find it if you do a search.

- Jack

88Racing Wed, May 11th, 2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusto (Post 47486)

yep did the pulleys.....you'll need a fan removal tool set and a harmonic balance puller and an impact for the harmonic balancer bolt........it took about an hour but I had a tech and a full shop at my disposal....

EskimoDragon13 Thu, May 26th, 2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Racing (Post 47817)
yep did the pulleys.....you'll need a fan removal tool set and a harmonic balance puller and an impact for the harmonic balancer bolt........it took about an hour but I had a tech and a full shop at my disposal....

Did you have any voltage drop issues after installing the pulleys? How happy have you been with them?

I'm thinking about doing those along with the Troyer e-fan

gusto Sat, July 9th, 2011 12:16 AM

I had a buddy do the pulleys at his shop, best money i spent. noticed a bit of low end power, wouldn't say more power just more get up and go. just need to know how much to turn up engine idle. Troyer says 850 rpm so i went in and raised it 250 rpm in the engine idle in the custom tunes. can anyone confirm this is correct please :help:

88Racing Sat, July 9th, 2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusto (Post 49362)
I had a buddy do the pulleys at his shop, best money i spent. noticed a bit of low end power, wouldn't say more power just more get up and go. just need to know how much to turn up engine idle. Troyer says 850 rpm so i went in and raised it 250 rpm in the engine idle in the custom tunes. can anyone confirm this is correct please :help:

That sounds about right.......700-850 rpm idle

In the end I just used an overdrive pulley on the alternator....

gusto Sat, July 9th, 2011 06:08 PM

whats an overdrive pulley and where do i get one. what changes do i have to make to accommodate this overdrive pulley

Longshot270 Sat, July 9th, 2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusto (Post 49379)
whats an overdrive pulley and where do i get one. what changes do i have to make to accommodate this overdrive pulley

It is the opposite of an underdrive pulley. Rather than make the alternator shaft spin slower (reducing load) it makes it spin faster. It basically cancels out the underdrive pulley kit's effect on the alternator so no adjustment will be needed.

gusto Sat, July 9th, 2011 06:28 PM

where do u get one of these

88Racing Sun, July 10th, 2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusto (Post 49383)
where do u get one of these

I got it from a mustang guy locally....idk where he got it from.....I was having troubles finding one on the internet....

gusto Mon, July 11th, 2011 05:55 PM

does it have and affect to the underdrive pulleys, as in power, or just fix the alternator issue

88Racing Mon, July 11th, 2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusto (Post 49436)
does it have and affect to the underdrive pulleys, as in power, or just fix the alternator issue

You'll just have to understand.....that my truck being a lariat had a lot of electric extras on it both stock and some that I added.....I was one to let my truck idle in the winter also....ya I know that's bad.....but increasing the idle hurt the fuel consumption.....so I got myself one of those overdrive puppies and lowered the idle....I do still have one blank one that was going to get the back machined to match the one I gave back but that never happened.....

gusto Wed, July 20th, 2011 11:45 PM

I hear ya, might be good idea for me i let mine idle in the winter and i have hids in headlights and fogs.

ArtieWag Wed, September 14th, 2011 11:46 AM

I have done the Troyer electrics fans and underdrive pulleys on my f150 2005 5.4L Lariat. I am not a mechanic, and I did not have a shop full of tools. It was the first mod I ever did on these trucks. Consequently, it took me about 7 hours over 2 days to finish it. It gave me a solid 1.0 mpg increase.

Let me explain: My local NAPA parts store did not have the fan removal tool, and suggested that I just use an impact wrench to remove it. Second NAPA part store said same thing. (I did not fall for that one) But an O’Reillys parts store 20 miles away did, and they rented it to me for free. Get that tool. Makes removal of the old fan EASY, and replacement of the slightly smaller water pump pulley EASY. You will also need a harmonic balancer puller. I bought that one, because they did not have one to rent. I did not get the cheap one. This is what took most of the time - getting the correct tools. Don't forget the laser temp probe. I also used an electric impact wrench for removal and a brand new torque wrench to install the new crankshaft pulley. These items took me to 4 parts shops and 80 miles to find. (I do live in a rural area). These items added $100.00 to my install cost, but I will use them again.

I did the fans and pulleys at the same time, which I think was a good idea. You will need to pull of the old fan no matter what you do, seems a shame to put it back on. The only problem is that I cannot tell what helped my mpg most, the fans or the pulleys. But the combo is good, and makes the truck snappier. (The Boss, who is the daily driver of the truck, tells me that she thinks the front end feels ‘looser’ or ‘lighter’)

I did not post a video, because I understood from the Troyer install directions that I was restricted from doing so.

I am so please that I am also going to do this mod on my 2006 5.4L just after soon as I install the gryphon on it.

Get or rent these:
Fan clutch removal tool,
Harmonic Balancer puller,
Impact wrench,
Torque wrench,
Laser temp probe.

I hope that helps. I was more intimidated than the job requires, and there is no reason to be.