Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New Turbo (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92)

Smoken_F150 Tue, December 16th, 2008 10:01 PM

New Turbo

Hey guys i am look for a new turbo go with me stage two stick and your tunes(soon). also i need intercooler tubing and the boots and spyder intake. any help will be great building a big project need some help

Smoken_F150 Sat, December 20th, 2008 12:23 PM

no help cone on now

ChuckD Sun, December 21st, 2008 12:01 PM

What is your goal with your truck? That should help us help you not spend a bunch a money that you dont need to.

Smoken_F150 Sun, December 21st, 2008 09:11 PM

400 plus horse i have some other goodies on my truck i got stage two sticks and soon custom tunes by Bill

ChuckD Sun, December 21st, 2008 09:24 PM

Go with the H2E and make sure you put a cooler on there.

Power Hungry Sun, December 21st, 2008 09:34 PM

The only issue with the H2E is that they spool kinda slow. I'll get a few recommendations for you Monday but my favorite is still the "Van Turbo". It's cheap, easy to find, and works quite well.

We had a guy in Utah with a Turbonetics that worked quite nicely to just shy of 400 HP on StageII injectors. It was very streetable. He did need a new HPOP though to make the injectors work right, though.

Make sure that whatever you do, ThermoTec Tape the up-pipes and the first 12 inches of the downpipe. Well worth the expense and you'd be amazed at the difference it makes! :2thumbs:

Smoken_F150 Sun, December 21st, 2008 09:40 PM

Make sure that whatever you do, ThermoTec Tape the up-pipes and the first 12 inches of the downpipe. Well worth the expense and you'd be amazed at the difference it makes! :2thumbs:[/QUOTE]

wat do you mean tape it p and wat the benifit

and by the van turbo you mean one out of a van? dose it have to be an obs 73

Power Hungry Sun, December 21st, 2008 09:43 PM

Look here...

http://www.thermotec.com/how-does-it-work.html

Van turbo from late model (99+) van. Bigger turbo than the OBS, but still no wastegate. Nice and cheap.

Smoken_F150 Sun, December 21st, 2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 504)
The only issue with the H2E is that they spool kinda slow. I'll get a few recommendations for you Monday but my favorite is still the "Van Turbo". It's cheap, easy to find, and works quite well.

We had a guy in Utah with a Turbonetics that worked quite nicely to just shy of 400 HP on StageII injectors. It was very streetable. He did need a new HPOP though to make the injectors work right, though.

Make sure that whatever you do, ThermoTec Tape the up-pipes and the first 12 inches of the downpipe. Well worth the expense and you'd be amazed at the difference it makes! :2thumbs:

So will a 2000 work wat all do i need off the motor?

ChuckD Mon, December 22nd, 2008 10:23 AM

I didnt think about that. I had the 66 in mind but if he was going to do further mods later on was why I had in mind the H2E. With living in OH I wouldn't suggest the wrap. I have seen on several occasions of it holding water and causing rust. Get them ceramic coated. A little pricey still but I think its worth it. I know of a hot side of a turbo that is coated.:cool_beans:

Power Hungry Mon, December 22nd, 2008 04:56 PM

You're right about the rust problem. Ceramic coating is a better alternative but can be a bit pricey. Thermo-Tec does ceramic coatings as well. :D

Smoken_F150 Tue, December 23rd, 2008 06:22 AM

we just had a 2000 van roll over on friday wat all do i need

Neal 97 250 Tue, January 27th, 2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckD (Post 523)
I didnt think about that. I had the 66 in mind but if he was going to do further mods later on was why I had in mind the H2E. With living in OH I wouldn't suggest the wrap. I have seen on several occasions of it holding water and causing rust. Get them ceramic coated. A little pricey still but I think its worth it. I know of a hot side of a turbo that is coated.:cool_beans:

I have the modded H2e with 180cc sticks. I absolutely love the setup. I tow a 36' 5er around 15,000 lbs. with no problem at all. Even in the mountains of Tn.

I went with the modded turbo from Beans because they were the only ones who would mod it that I found and Bean can also make sure you get BOTH intercooler tubes. Most other companies come with one. He also made sure I got the 3" y-pipe sinc I was going to upgrade my intakes to the 3" billet aluminum ones.

Yes there is a little lag with the 3" intake and Y-pipe, 6.0 cooler and the larger wheel on the turbo gives a bit more lag. It spools at 2000 rpm, but when it hits it you betteer be holding on. It is very fun to drive. I built it this way especially for towing so the little lag doesn't bother me. I wanted cooler egt's so I expected some lag. If you didn't mod the turbo there would be a bit less lag and other things I did as well.

If you do plan to go bigger in the future I would definately go H2e. They are versatile and have good bearings. The D66 Beans offers has the same thrust bearing setup that we do on the factory turbo.

Power Hungry Tue, January 27th, 2009 02:03 PM

Sounds like a nice setup there... Beans has good stuff.

Some of that turbo lag should be able to be tuned out. Just depends on exactly how big the turbo is. In most cases, a little lag is acceptable but if it's putting you in a situation where you have poor throttle response when pulling out into traffic or crossing an intersection then something will need to be addressed. That's just not safe.

:2thumbs:

Neal 97 250 Tue, January 27th, 2009 02:52 PM

No not that bad at all. I have a 5 speed so I can't build boost at a light then again as I said I don't race (usually). It has 20-25 lbs. of boost driving around town but it starts getting over 30 at 2000 RPM. Will hit 35 pretty easy once it spools.

The turbo has been modded and the 62mm wheel replaced with 66mm.