Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Towing (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   max towing capacity for 87 performance (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356)

JFolmar Thu, July 2nd, 2009 02:06 PM

max towing capacity for 87 performance

i have a 2001 f150 supercrew. how much can i tow on 87 performance. or should i just put it back into can tune 87 tow???

:confused:

Corey Cohron RIP Thu, July 2nd, 2009 02:55 PM

You shouldn't go above about 2,500 lbs. with a performance program on a Gryphon. If it's above that, then yes... I would definitely switch back to the canned tow program. ;)

88Racing Thu, July 2nd, 2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFolmar (Post 11455)
i have a 2001 f150 supercrew. how much can i tow on 87 performance. or should i just put it back into can tune 87 tow???

:confused:

#2500.
Don't really know if this includes payload also.
GC beat me to it!

Lars

TXWolf Thu, July 9th, 2009 07:30 AM

Is there a weight limit on a Gryphon custom tow tune? :shrug:

Corey Cohron RIP Thu, July 9th, 2009 07:50 AM

Whatever the max tow is for the individual truck. :)

Jackpine Thu, July 9th, 2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXWolf (Post 11828)
Is there a weight limit on a Gryphon custom tow tune? :shrug:

And, TX, in your case, you would want Bill to know that you are pulling a HEAVY load, so he can optimize the tow tune for it. Your trailer will have a spec sheet that lists the unloaded vehicle weight as well as the weight added when you fill the fresh water tanks and have full propane cylinders. (You're probably mostly going to pull that thing into "civilized" campgrounds where freshwater is available, so you may want to leave those tanks empty). You'll need to add a bit of weight for whatever else you put into the trailer too, such as food and clothing. So, DO let Bill know what the actual approximate towed weight of the trailer is, when you ask for a custom tow tune.

- Jack

TXWolf Thu, July 9th, 2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackandJanet (Post 11833)
And, TX, in your case, you would want Bill to know that you are pulling a HEAVY load, so he can optimize the tow tune for it. Your trailer will have a spec sheet that lists the unloaded vehicle weight as well as the weight added when you fill the fresh water tanks and have full propane cylinders. (You're probably mostly going to pull that thing into "civilized" campgrounds where freshwater is available, so you may want to leave those tanks empty). You'll need to add a bit of weight for whatever else you put into the trailer too, such as food and clothing. So, DO let Bill know what the actual approximate towed weight of the trailer is, when you ask for a custom tow tune.

- Jack

Unfortunately, Bill's already written a custom tow tune. :shrug: At the time that I upgraded to the Gryphon, I didn't know that I would be pulling a big travel trailer. I think that I talked/emailed with Corey, and at the time a boat was the biggest thing that I was towing.

Jackpine Wed, July 15th, 2009 07:33 PM

TX, I think you need to get a custom tow tune for that weight! If you have not already loaded the one Bill wrote, (and you may have told me, but I forgot), the canned tow tune would be much better for you.

You need to check this thread out: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...ead.php?t=1314 and, talk to 408F150 and 06KingRanch. They have similar towing requirements.

I'd love it if you all could discuss this out in the open, so we all can see it, rather than in PMs. I think there's a lot to be learned.

And, I'm going to see about starting a "Towing" forum. If it flies, I'll probably move all this to the new forum.

Edit: The new forum is set up and this is there.

- Jack

408F150 Thu, July 16th, 2009 12:39 PM

I'm no expert on custom tuning but I'd imagine there are some major differences in regards to TC locking and shift firmness that would be a substantial change from performance to towing tunes. If it's any help, I towed my trailer at about 7800# this last weekend on a canned Evo 87 tow tune and it handled a 3 mile very, very steep grade pretty well. TFT hit around 208, which is on the hotter side but it was around a 10% uphill grade at around 15mph on a windy mountain road. I'm hoping that once I get mine upgraded and custom tuned it will be even better. Case in point, canned tune isn't perfect but it will get you by until you can have a custom one written for you.

Jackpine Fri, July 17th, 2009 11:32 AM

My guess is, you were not driving very fast up this 10% incline, were you, 408f150? Did you have the transmission locked in 1st gear? Can you recall what your RPMs were?

- Jack