Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Will Hydra Tuner work with transmission shift kit? (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9987)

Chris77 Wed, June 22nd, 2022 11:42 AM

Will Hydra Tuner work with transmission shift kit?

I'm very interested in this tuner but will it effect transmission shifting. I have a Bully Dog shift enhancement kit that I installed several years ago. The kit consisted of 3 springs and a valve. I'm concerned with having overly harsh shifts. Thanks

My truck is a 1997 F-250 Automatic. E-fuel, 1.0 housing, 4 inch exhaust, downpipe, Tymar style intake, Soon to be intercooled. RSK, Solid axle swap

Jackpine Wed, June 22nd, 2022 12:01 PM

Chris, welcome to the forum. I'm sure Bill will see your thread soon and I think he can provide a custom tune that will work well with your shift kit.

You didn't specify what brand tuning device you are interested in. Is it SCT or Bully Dog? Or, is it Billl's Minotaur software, or, something else?

- Jack

Chris77 Wed, June 22nd, 2022 02:08 PM

PHP Hydra

Sorry, i should have added what tuner i'm interested in. I'm interested in the PHP hydra tuner.

Jackpine Wed, June 22nd, 2022 03:19 PM

OKyDoaks - I changed the title of the thread to better alert Bill.

- Jack

Power Hungry Thu, June 30th, 2022 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris77 (Post 63098)
I'm very interested in this tuner but will it effect transmission shifting. I have a Bully Dog shift enhancement kit that I installed several years ago. The kit consisted of 3 springs and a valve. I'm concerned with having overly harsh shifts. Thanks

My truck is a 1997 F-250 Automatic. E-fuel, 1.0 housing, 4 inch exhaust, downpipe, Tymar style intake, Soon to be intercooled. RSK, Solid axle swap

For many calibration sets, we offer a "VB" (Valve Body) tune set which eliminates the pressure modifications to the tuning so that it doesn't interfere with the mechanical modifications. If you could let me know what your PCM code is, we can let you know if we already have tunes for that application.

Thanks.

Chris77 Fri, July 8th, 2022 02:28 PM

My PCM code is TDE0.

Chris77 Sun, July 10th, 2022 08:31 PM

Wow

i received my hydra chip this Friday and discovered that there are tunes for modified valve bodies. I installed the chip methodically per the video instruction on hydra help and the chip is working great. Ive only been running the 40 horse DD tune so far because I have an old tired transmission but WOW!! Ive owned my truck for 15 years now and this is the first time its ever been chipped and the first time I ever saw any black smoke come out of the tail pipe. Im impressed! I did notice one thing though...when I press the up or down button on the hydra selector switch it takes a few clicks of the button before it responds. Is this normal.

Power Hungry Mon, July 11th, 2022 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris77 (Post 63140)
I did notice one thing though...when I press the up or down button on the hydra selector switch it takes a few clicks of the button before it responds. Is this normal.

Chris,

The Hydra switch serves two functions, to change levels and to change LED brightness. In order to manage this, there are certain timing specifications that must be met.

To change position, the button must be pressed for no more than ½ second (quick tap).

To change LED brightness, the button must be pressed and held for about 1½ seconds (long press).

Anywhere in between those two time periods, and nothing will happen.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris77 Mon, July 11th, 2022 03:21 PM

Right on. That makes sense. Thanks for the info.