Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Towing (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Brake Controller (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1584)

Diesel Rookie Thu, August 6th, 2009 01:46 PM

Brake Controller

Any good advice on brake controllers. I find myself needing one. Any good advice on what to look for and good:2thumbs: or bad:thumbsdwn: expereinces that I should be aware of when purchasing one.

Jackpine Thu, August 6th, 2009 02:32 PM

I have the Primus IQ. Here's a link to it in Campers World: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-control/43938

It was quite easy to set up, but I seem to remember needing the Ford Brake Control harness to hook it up (another $18.00). It works quite well, and the digital readout tells you you're hooked up properly.

There are more expensive ones, like one that works when you're in reverse, but since I don't travel very fast in that direction, I didn't see the need for that feature.

- Jack

Longshot270 Thu, August 6th, 2009 02:58 PM

I have a Journey HD and I like it, but I think my harness came with the truck. If you cant find a harness I'd just go get a ford harness from another brand like Hopkins (Tractor supply, auto zone etc.) and cut the wires. Then use the truck end and splice it to whatever controller you decide to get.

The Hopkins harness is around $14

gabeyd Thu, August 6th, 2009 03:23 PM

I've been using a Prodigy for a couple of years now, and it works great. I have a nearly 10000 lb trailer, so I do want brakes in reverse. For a lighter trailer, I could see it not mattering.

Here is where I bought mine:

http://www.brakecontroller.com/prodigy1.htm

Free shipping, free wiring harness.

cleatus12r Thu, August 6th, 2009 03:50 PM

I'm not going to make any suggestions on the brake controller itself....it's like tuners; everyone's got a favorite.

However, make damn sure to look at the directions for wiring up the controller because most of the ones I have installed over the last 5 years (I do a lot) have a warning about hooking up the "brake on" (red) wire on the controller in the Ford trucks pertaining to a ground condition instead of "open" when the brake pedal is not depressed. Some brake controllers cook themselves when the red wire is grounded instead of just being open when the brake pedal is not depressed.

Peroni Thu, August 6th, 2009 04:21 PM

Brake Smart or Max Brake. They use a pressure sensor off the brake line for true proportional braking and it works fantastic. Plus they're compatible with either electric or electric over hydraulic brakes. Neither are cheap but you most certainly get what you pay for.

408F150 Thu, August 6th, 2009 05:30 PM

The brand isn't very important, the big thing is to make sure it's the correct type of brake controller. There are 2 main types, the safest by FAR is a "proportional" brake controller, which means when you push the brake pedal to 10%, so does the trailer, and when you push it to 50%, so does the trailer, etc. The other type I believe is "time delayed" (the longer you hold the brake pedal down the harder the trailer brakes) and... can't remember if there are other types. I personally have a Tekenosha Prodigy and it works great towing an 8000# trailer. The nicer controllers allow you to have the trailer brake harder than the truck, which is desired at highway speeds to reduce sway.

Diesel Rookie Thu, August 6th, 2009 05:45 PM

Guys thanks for the great advice. :2thumbs: I really appreciate it. It appears I have more research to do than I initially thought.

Thanks

Joe

Jackpine Thu, August 6th, 2009 06:53 PM

And, I'll add that controllers like the Prodogy and the Primus ARE proportional controllers that rely on a "pendulum" in the controller to sense deceleration. The harder you brake, the more the pendulum swings, which in turn supplies more voltage to the electric brakes on the trailer. There's no delay, and yes, both these controllers can be set to apply more braking than you are doing, so you can feel the trailer pulling back on you. I kind of like a "neutral" feel myself, and I have an anti-sway hitch.

There was no possibility of mis-wiring in my case. My truck already had the brake wiring installed as part of the factory tow option (the connector was just to the right of the OBDII port) and the Ford harness I bought with the Primus was an "adapter" that simply plugged into it. I think I may have had to add a fuse though - but I seem to recall that it was supplied with the controller or harness.

Be careful you don't route your brake controller line parallel to the Gryphon's OBDII line. It could cause interference in the Gryphon's display. (Lars brought this up a while back).

Unless you have a trailer with hydraulic brakes, you don't need a controller that has this feature.

- Jack