Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cars, Station Wagons, and Crossovers (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   1972 Firebird in the shop. (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10007)

cleatus12r Thu, August 11th, 2022 05:45 PM

1972 Firebird in the shop.

5 Attachment(s)
I have an old Firebird in the shop that belongs to a friend of mine. His father (the owner) died a couple years ago and now the son and widow would like to drive it around. Over the years, it's been to a few places and a lot of money has been thrown at it to make it run right. Basic rundown is that it idles REALLY fast, bogs and dies when put in gear, and tires chirp every time it's put in drive or reverse. I got it at the shop three weeks ago and started going over it with a fine-tooth comb. Here's a list of things I found wrong with it:

Big, lumpy camshaft.
Single plane intake.
Stock stall speed torque converter.

It's basically a mismatch of parts that don't work together for a stock long block and stock torque converter.

The PCV valve was plumbed into a single intake runner, the vacuum advance was hooked to manifold vacuum, the ignition timing was REALLY retarded, the choke pull-off lever was interfering with the air cleaner base and would never let the choke come all the way off, the #8 spark plug wire separated from the terminal at the distributor cap, and the spreadbore intake had a squarebore carburetor resulting in a vacuum leak.

It wasn't perfect when it left here 3 weeks ago, but the owner was really happy with the way it was running when he got it back and has driven it quite a bit! I told him that it'll be way better when I get the right parts.

I got the parts to fix it on Monday and now it's sitting in the shop with a Quadra-jet, dual plane intake, and higher stall speed converter (which is going in first thing in the morning since it's 95 degrees and I have a big job coming here in about an hour). I didn't want to break into the engine and change the camshaft so with any luck this will make it into a single-footer around town. Before, a fella had to have one foot on the brake and one on the gas. It's already way better than it was when it showed up this morning......I can't wait until the transmission doesn't kill it every time it's put in gear!

Power Hungry Sat, August 13th, 2022 10:02 PM

It goes without saying, I love old cars. They're actually quite simple to work on. It's just common sense.

Glad you've been able to get it back into a decent running state. I'm sure your friend is thrilled to be able to drive it and not be on the edge of causing an accident. :2thumbs:

Any pics?

cleatus12r Sun, August 14th, 2022 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 63214)
It goes without saying, I love old cars. They're actually quite simple to work on. It's just common sense.

Glad you've been able to get it back into a decent running state. I'm sure your friend is thrilled to be able to drive it and not be on the edge of causing an accident. :2thumbs:

Any pics?

I attached 5 to the post initially. Do they not show up for you?

Jackpine Sun, August 14th, 2022 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleatus12r (Post 63215)

I see them, but miss the big Firebird decal on the hood that those things had.

- Jack

cleatus12r Sun, August 14th, 2022 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackpine (Post 63216)
I see them, but miss the big Firebird decal on the hood that those things had.

- Jack

This is the bare-bones model....nothing power/appearance/performance-oriented about it. Looks good from 30 feet (we call that a "30-footer" around here) and drives really well.

Here it is in the sunlight

Jackpine Sun, August 14th, 2022 01:53 PM

It's a purdy car, isn't it?

- Jack

Power Hungry Mon, August 15th, 2022 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleatus12r (Post 63215)

My mistake. I was looking at in on my phone and I missed the attachments. :2thumbs:

PHP Ward Wed, August 17th, 2022 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I sure do love a nice F-body.

Pic of my Camaro for qualification.