Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Burner problems (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1213)

Shaw Thu, June 4th, 2009 11:25 AM

Burner problems

Hello, I got everything going and went to burn for the first time and it is having some issues. Its the Sniper Burner so I'm not sure if that is the problem or not but it comes up with an error - "not a multi position module" Let me know what you think when ever you get a minute. Thanks

http://thumb13.webshots.net/t/74/174...3edZMEq_th.jpg

cleatus12r Thu, June 4th, 2009 12:05 PM

Shaw,

I have the same problem with the PhoenixFlash as you (I am also using a Sniper-branded burner). If I try to program a chip with PhoenixFlash after building it in Minotaur, then I get the "not a multi position module" error. If I use Delta Force to open the Minotaur files and then save them (so it saves as an encrypted ".pcm" file) I can use the Sniper burning application to program the chip.

By the way, it doesn't matter what "template" you use when you open the Minotaur file in Sniper...just as long as you "save file as" to save the binary as an encrypted file.

For me it's not a huge deal, it just means that the 6 position chips I have running around have encrypted binary loaded to them.

Shaw Thu, June 4th, 2009 12:18 PM

Cleatus, Thanks, Ill give it a try! Sniper screws me once again :cursin:

Is there any way to get around doing this "extra" step short of buying a new burner!

cleatus12r Thu, June 4th, 2009 10:33 PM

Heck, I don't know. I was under the impression that the burners were pretty much universal except for the ID code. They look the same between the ones Bill uses and the ones Sniper sells.

Power Hungry Fri, June 5th, 2009 03:10 AM

As best as I can figure, the Sniper burner uses a different "Multi-Position" ID on the chip. Put the chip on the burner, power it up, run the PF software and then go to [Utilities] -> [Get Diagnostic Data] (or press Ctrl-G). If you could, get me a screen shot of the diagnostic data. That would help me come to some sort of conclusion as to what the issue is.

Ultimately, if you purchase chips from us you shouldn't have any problems with the error. Of course, I don't have Sniper so I can't say for sure.

Let me know.

Blowby Fri, June 5th, 2009 03:40 PM

Did you erase the chip with Phoenix software (select the number of positions in the software first). It will ask you to make sure you are in position #1. After a few it will ask to switch to pos. #2 and so forth. After it's erased all the positions selected activate the Program button. It will ask you to make sure you are in position #1. Switch it back to #1 and then click OK. It will now ask for the file. After a few it will ask to switch to pos. #2 and so forth.

I have had to resolve a problem chip by erasing it with Sniper "first" then follow the above directions.

cleatus12r Fri, June 5th, 2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blowby (Post 10305)
Did you erase the chip with Phoenix software (select the number of positions in the software first). It will ask you to make sure you are in position #1. After a few it will ask to switch to pos. #2 and so forth. After it's erased all the positions selected activate the Program button. It will ask you to make sure you are in position #1. Switch it back to #1 and then click OK. It will now ask for the file. After a few it will ask to switch to pos. #2 and so forth.

I have had to resolve a problem chip by erasing it with Sniper "first" then follow the above directions.

It's funny. I have two $250 paperweights because I tried this a couple months ago. :(

It might not happen to everyone, but I don't use PF anymore. It never worked with the Sniper burner for programming or erasing and unfortunately, I think the software incompatibility fried two of my blanks. I'm not saying it's Bill's fault in any way.....it just seems to be one of the many chip problems I seem to have that nobody else does or nobody wants to claim happens. Flippin' TS blanks are garbage anyway.

Blowby Fri, June 5th, 2009 10:41 PM

They are not fried. Just need to be reformated.

Power Hungry Sat, June 6th, 2009 12:01 AM

:whathesaid: Shouldn't have any problem reformatting them. Just get 'em this-a-way and I'll fix 'em up for you.

Shaw Sat, June 6th, 2009 11:34 AM

Blowby
Quote:

Tried it both ways, no good. The problem is it does not read it as a multi position chip, so it will not even get to the erase screen. It will read it as a "single" chip. I was able to burn a file on position one tho.

cleatus12r

Quote:

I have the same problem with the PhoenixFlash as you (I am also using a Sniper-branded burner). If I try to program a chip with PhoenixFlash after building it in Minotaur, then I get the "not a multi position module" error. If I use Delta Force to open the Minotaur files and then save them (so it saves as an encrypted ".pcm" file) I can use the Sniper burning application to program the chip.
When I try to bring a bin. file over to sniper I cant. It just doesn't show up when looking for it? Its hay time now so I haven't had a chance to mess with it to much, but once the hay is bailed I hope to have time to figure out why!

Bill

http://thumb13.webshots.net/t/62/762...3fdXpcU_th.jpg

Here is the "Diagnostic Information". The chip you sent me works fine, so I think it is in the sniper chips. If its cool with you I will send you both of them and see if you can reformat them. Thanks for all the help guys!