Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gryphon Programmer (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Truck stumbling... stuttering... (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6778)

RGSMDNR Wed, July 6th, 2011 10:36 PM

Truck stumbling... stuttering...

Drove my son to the his day home the other morning and the truck starting to sputter a bit. When i was parked I changed it to the stock mode and everything seemed ok. I was running the econo tune at the time... any idea on why it would do this all of a sudden?

cheers,

88Racing Thu, July 7th, 2011 08:09 AM

IDK.....

When I had my 06 F150 this happened to it three times......once before I got a gryphon, once while a canned tune was loaded, and once when a custom tune was loaded.....

Alls I ever did was shut the truck off and then restart....it acted like nothing ever happened......

I don't think going back to stock was necessary.......

RGSMDNR Tue, August 16th, 2011 04:21 PM

Ive managed to get the truck to do it again. I was in the towing tune and while backing up the trailer I would blip the throttle a bit and it would then start to stutter. It did this each time I blipped the throttle. Any thoughts on why it would do this?

88Racing Tue, August 16th, 2011 04:36 PM

It might be time to clean the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body....

Longshot270 Tue, August 16th, 2011 04:37 PM

Check to see if the intake and everything is tightened. It happened to me yesterday while playing around in a dried up pond. The intake (after the MAF sensor) started to wiggle loose and open up. Then by hitting the throttle the engine would rock a little and open up a small gap. The MAF sensor would read less air and cut fueling and the rpms would drop. I've had minor cases happen at red lights and stuff when I would gun it to start moving but it was never enough for me to figure out what was wrong...until I was exiting a drift through some very fluffy silt and it finally opened up a crack and got me stuck.

RGSMDNR Mon, August 22nd, 2011 10:04 PM

Thanks all, Ill look into that.

RGSMDNR Tue, May 8th, 2012 07:01 AM

Diggin up an old thread, but its doing it again. It only does it when Im using a custom tune. This time I was using the econo tune. It also seems to be getting worse. It would go away after driving it but now its staying while driving down the road. Had to pull over and reprogram back to stock. Why would it only do it while in a tune? Everything seems tightened and clean.

Longshot270 Tue, May 8th, 2012 08:01 AM

My next guess would be fuel system.
Where are you filling gas? What brand are you using?
Fuel quality has been known to cause issues also. I'd try mixing in some premium and see if that improves it.

RGSMDNR Tue, May 8th, 2012 08:27 AM

I fill up at Costco so not sure where they source their fuel from. Im also running a 89 Octane tune but 87 fuel and am turning the timing back 1 degree as per required.

Longshot270 Tue, May 8th, 2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGSMDNR (Post 58293)
I fill up at Costco so not sure where they source their fuel from. Im also running a 89 Octane tune but 87 fuel and am turning the timing back 1 degree as per required.

Ok, go to Shell or another top teir brand. Not all fuel blends are equal. 9 times out of 10 it pays to spend more per gallon more for higher quality fuel.

For me it means up to 1 mpg difference...or nearly 10% increase in mileage for spending 1% more in price.