Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Conversation Pit (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   1990 5.0 LX? Should I? (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5340)

fifity Sun, October 3rd, 2010 10:17 PM

1990 5.0 LX? Should I?

Going to look at a 1990 5.0 LX 5 speed hardtop tomorrow. It has 75,000 original miles. Guy wants 4,000 for it.

Is there a year I should stay away from? Should I instead look for a more modern 4.6?

I am in Cali and do have smog laws btw....

907DAVE Sun, October 3rd, 2010 11:48 PM

FWIW.............. I love the 5 oohh........funny huh.:hehe:

Anyways, I think they are a good platform to build on, strong, reliable, cheap, and parts are easily assessable. Not quite in the same league as the 3fifty, but a close second in my book.

As for power, I dont think it is as easy to make as much as the 4.6's, but defiantly much cheaper.

What all are you looking to get out of it?

cajunboy2208 Mon, October 4th, 2010 02:06 AM

No need to stay away from it at all.

I've been looking for a 95 GT for sometime now
Just can't find any in right shape or right price for me...

ChuckD Mon, October 4th, 2010 09:12 AM

Go for it.

fifity Mon, October 4th, 2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 907dave (Post 39902)
FWIW.............. I love the 5 oohh........funny huh.:hehe:

Dave I just got it...I am a little slow :crazy: Speaking of which, can they correct my screen name to fifty from fifity?

Your local neighbor hood five oh looking for a 5.O

As for what I am looking for out of it? Well, shits and giggles mostly. Raw power. Something to buzz around town in. Something that can kind of handle. I wouldnt mind it being able to smoke my brothers S55 AMG...that would be nice...:hmmm:
Wonder how much that would cost?:censored1:

907DAVE Mon, October 4th, 2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifity (Post 39914)
Dave I just got it...I am a little slow :crazy: Speaking of which, can they correct my screen name to fifty from fifity?

Your local neighbor hood five oh looking for a 5.O

As for what I am looking for out of it? Well, shits and giggles mostly. Raw power. Something to buzz around town in. Something that can kind of handle. I wouldnt mind it being able to smoke my brothers S55 AMG...that would be nice...:hmmm:
Wonder how much that would cost?:censored1:

LOL.... Took me awhile to figure out what your screen name meant.

While they are at it they should change mine to 907DAVE.

Guess you need to start researching parts......and pricing things out.

Figure a reasonable budget - then times by two:hehe: - then compare that to what a 4.6 would cost to get the same hp, figure in the price of the vehicle, and that should be enough info to base your decision off of.

Colt Mon, October 4th, 2010 08:48 PM

Get it.. Good cars, not all that quick stock though, 225 HP.. Best mods, cold air intake, get rid of the smog pump, exhaust, a set of long tube 1 5/8th's headers, a set of 3:73 gears, a complete set of rear control arms.. Thats just for starters.. Once you start, you wont stop.. Becareful with that tranny though, they dont take abuse very well. Run a OEM replacement clutch, put a good shifter on it and it will live a while. Run anything more than a stock style clutch and your screwed.. Believe it or not, I'm running the same trans in my 79, I have 24% slipage in the clutch, it's my fuse, but it's hurting me bad power wise. I've got this setup do detuned it's pathetic, then with the slipage and little tires. All because I'm trying to make it live. People are amazed that this thing is taking that kind of power, but every time I go down the track I assume it will be the last for it ( been doing that for 4 yrs now LOL )... Been saving up for a Faceplated ( think big rig tranny, no syncro's ) T-56..

The 4.6 is a good runnin motor, but they aren't cheap at all. I've got 10K just in the shortblock in the 98, but it's built to handle 1200 HP too, so yeah... I'd build another one, but I enjoy working on the 302 much more than the 4.6.. The 4.6 cars are heavy though, they respond well to simple mods, but the weight is what slows them down.

If I could find a 90 with that low of miles for that price I'd jump on it.. But the next Mustang I buy will be drag only, and I'd hate to do that to a nice, low mileage car.

ChuckD Tue, October 5th, 2010 05:43 PM

My little 331 engine dynoed at 534 hp:evillol:. If your patient you can find parts for good deals. I got my DSS balanced and forged stroker kit for $550. Boxes had never been open. Got a Dart SHP block for $1370 and my TFS FAC heads for $1380 to my door. I started this project in March but did get a good platform to start with. Now is time to build my C4:doh: already have my SFI flex plate and bell housing. I should start getting the car put together next month when my arm is healed more and our temps are down.

Colt Tue, October 5th, 2010 09:35 PM

I wish I could find deals like that. Once I decide I "need" something, I have to go get it right then..

[hijack]

Too bad you already have a bell housing, I've got a TH400 sitting on the floor thats fresh. It was built for a buddy of mine that was making 1200 ft/lbs of TQ in a 76 Camaro with a 101mm turbo, he got tired of the car and built a 71 Camaro with a 555 Big Chief with a 114mm turbo :drool2: So he went with a glide and sold me his old tranny.. TH400 swaps in Mustangs are pretty common anymore, cheap to build and stout..

I wanna go with a T-56, so that TH400 has to go.. 534 HP? Your gonna have a blast with that.. When ya gonna boost it? :evillol: [/hijack]

ChuckD Wed, October 6th, 2010 12:16 PM

Figuring a 20% DL loss I am figuring around 430 at the wheels. I am gonna spray it since I am running a carb, I have heard really good things about my intake, though I got to spin the crap out of it. I may change later on to efi and boost it since I am at a 9.98:1, I should be able to put a few lbs to it.