Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   EGR Delete Q's (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4905)

MJ365 Thu, July 15th, 2010 08:30 PM

EGR Delete Q's

For those with egr deletes on their trucks, did anyone have the problem with the boost dropping off when the egr is disabled? I originally had the egr blocked when I got the truck but had to re-enable it when the flash came out that checked for egr operation so I didn't have the boost and power loss issue. Now that I rolled my truck back to the original strat I figured I could go back to the way I had it and block it off. Problem is, even with it rolled back it still throws the egr codes and loses power when it is blocked and the valve is dummied up bolted one of the intake elbow bolts. Maybe there is a trick to it I did before that I can't remember. Any help will be appreciated.

Jeremy Sat, July 17th, 2010 09:59 PM

We have emmisions testing here so I have the EGR blocked, not deleted. I can't say that I noticed a drop in Boost pressure after the mod.

MJ365 Sun, July 18th, 2010 11:57 PM

I guess mine is really "blocked" as well. Made a plug for the egr hole and the valve is still hooked up just outside the intake doing nothing. If I can get it figured out I will pull the egr cooler and weld a disc in the inlet then the valve can be where its supposed to be and still doing nothing. With the egr operational boost is 26 pounds WOT empty. With it blocked boost flatlines at 20 pounds and will not go higher. It is a very noticable loss in power on top.

StripperDJ Mon, July 19th, 2010 05:17 AM

sounds like you may have a leak somewhere.I would start there first.

MJ365 Mon, July 19th, 2010 04:11 PM

No signs of leakage anywhere. Blocked off egr results in DTC's p0401 and p0404 while only disconnecting the egr connector I get p0401 and p0405. Boost limits to 20psi either way.

StripperDJ Mon, July 19th, 2010 06:12 PM

well after some homework that i had to do with this problem, and let me say i have seen alot of this same problem...even with tuning with some of the lateter strats the egr valve MUST BE PLUGED UP EVEN IF THE VALVE IS A DUMMY !!!!!!!... if the valve is not plugged up the vvt will not work properly and will not let the turbo spool right..do you have the egr valve plugged up ???

MJ365 Mon, July 19th, 2010 09:30 PM

I have a plug in the egr hole machined to match the egr valve dimensions with the o-rings in place to block the flow into the intake. The egr valve itself is plugged in to the harness but I have it bolted to the intake elbow where it can do it's thing without polluting my engine. I have one more thing to try I'll report back when I test it out.

MJ365 Tue, July 20th, 2010 12:03 AM

Tried a different egr valve hooked to the harness with my blocker in place to see if the position sensor was bad and it does the same thing. Only after a few miles of driving code P0401 pops up and the commanded egr duty cycle goes to 0% and under WOT boost is limited to 20psi.
I know my truck originally didn't have this problem. I ran with it blocked for a long time without issue until I got reflashed when at the dealer for the trans update and apparently that flash was the one where the ecm started going into the supposed "EPA" mode when P0401 is set. I figured rolling back the strategy should've eliminated this issue but it hasn't. Bill set it back to a VXBC4 from the VXBC9 that I had which we figured should've been the original but maybe it should be earlier still.

MJ365 Thu, July 22nd, 2010 10:37 AM

I haven't been able to get around this in any way. If I was to buy a Gryphon CS could a custom tune be made to eliminate the egr strategy altogether? Seems like I found a good excuse to buy one.

cleatus12r Thu, July 22nd, 2010 11:43 AM

One way or another, I will get an answer for you.