Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Conversation Pit (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   damage from a dyno? (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9331)

ticopowell Fri, September 21st, 2012 08:37 AM

damage from a dyno?

So a guy I was talking to last week told me that he has heard stories about cars engines blowing up because they were running them on a dyno, something about the load on the engine is different from normal driving, has anyone heard of that?

Jackpine Fri, September 21st, 2012 01:55 PM

I imagine it's possible to abuse a vehicle on a dyno just as easily as it is to do so on the road.

The one thing I see missing on a dyno is the effect of air cooling due to vehicle motion. I would guess you could overheat a vehicle fairly easily.

- Jack

Corey Cohron RIP Fri, September 21st, 2012 07:42 PM

I do know about the heat issue because we actually have two fans that blow into the vehicle's grill when it's being run on our dyno; I know Little Power Shop does something similar with a huge commercial fan. As far as the load, I'd have to check with Billy, and he's upstairs doing an ECM rollback with a customer -- at 8:41PM on a Friday night, no less... :thumbs up yellow:

ticopowell Fri, September 21st, 2012 08:28 PM

Well I hope he gets to bed before midnight... it is friday!

Power Hungry Fri, September 28th, 2012 08:36 AM

I've not seen anything to indicate that running on a dyno is any more dangerous than running on the street, provided that precautions are taken to provide adequate airflow for cooling. The one thing I will say is that people will sometimes tend to push a vehicle harder on a dyno than they will on the street and that may be the cause of some engine failures. However, in 15 years I've never personally witnessed an engine failure on a dyno.

cleatus12r Fri, September 28th, 2012 09:41 AM

Starting your engine on fire during a dyno run is a hoot.

Good thing Bill has a calm head on his shoulders or my 2000 would look like a marshmallow that was held over a campfire too long.

cleatus12r Fri, February 12th, 2021 10:33 PM

Little update..
Still running the same high pressure oil hoses. Where is the "living dangerously" smilie?

I'm not running injection pressure above 2400 PSI anymore either though and I really don't have any spikes when the IPR has to open up quickly since making low 3-hundos for powah with 250/200% isn't pushing it past 25%.

Power Hungry Sat, February 13th, 2021 09:45 AM

THAT was a fun day. :eek:

Fortunately, only minor damage. Basically cosmetic on the harness wrapping.

Going to be interesting when we get the new engine dyno installed!

cleatus12r Sat, February 13th, 2021 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 62564)
T
Going to be interesting when we get the new engine dyno installed!

:2thumbs:

Need a co-host for an Engine Masters spin-off?

Power Hungry Mon, February 15th, 2021 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleatus12r (Post 62571)
:2thumbs:

Need a co-host for an Engine Masters spin-off?

Sure! Whenever you're ready to move down this way. Actually going to be looking for an engine builder soon. Once things get situated with the dyno, we're going to construct a "clean room" to build engines.

I doubt we'll get any interest in a series out of it, but we can do our own podcasts. :D