Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   1997 to 2003 F-150 (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Newbie in need of HELP - Running lean (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7573)

DBlackman Tue, December 20th, 2011 05:26 PM

Newbie in need of HELP - Running lean

I have a Ford F-150 2000 Harley Davidson (non-supercharge) with 153k mileage. Online research and recommendations by various sources had influenced the purchase of an A.E.M. CAI (oil-free) and Flowmaster 50 Series SUV model to improve fuel economy, performance, and satisfy my long desire for that 'Mustang/Camero' exhaust sound... Smile. Since then, I have been battling with extreme rough idle (mostly at cold start) and engine shutdowns at traffic lights. My local shop informed me that the DTCs were pointing to both front O2 Sensors that were causing the engine to run lean. By recomnmendation, I had purchased the Edge Insight CS in an attempt to 'tune' the truck and resolve the issue.... NO GO. After calling and speaking with Edge support, the Edge Insight CS was nothing more than a gauge compared to what I was hoping for and that Edge technology were not designed to custom tune the Air Intake or MAF! Needless to say, the unit was taken back for a refund. I call PHP and scheduled a call back to see if there was anything that can be done to resolve my trucks issue through tuning. I eagerly await their call. :cry-blow:

88Racing Wed, December 21st, 2011 09:11 AM

1st...What are the codes?

2nd...Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

3rd...have you cleaned the maf, throttle body, throttle position sensor, changed the fuel filter, run a bottle of techron cleaner, changed plugs recently ...

DBlackman Wed, December 21st, 2011 10:42 AM

Hey 88Racing, Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, I didn't write the two DTC codes down when the Insight CS was connected. However, I do recall 'SensorBank1' and 'SensorBank2'.

There are no vacuum leaks, checked by Ford Technicians. They even swapped the two front O2 sensors the isolated which of the two were bad. They don't believe at throwing parts at an issue without determining which part is bad. I was prepared to just have them both replaced.

The MAF was replaced with the replacement A.E.M CAI, however there was a cleaner used to troubleshoot possible MAF issue. MAF is good.

The truck had oil in 5 of 8 spark plug housing; bad gasket. ALL oil was cleaned out and components properly dried, before new spark plugs and cables were replaced.

I will need to inquire about throttle body and position sensor. Along with the fuel filter, which is always replaced according to Fords maintenance schedule.

DBlackman Wed, December 21st, 2011 01:20 PM

Okay. Just got back from the shop.

Throttle body and position sensor checked-out fine (.96 Voltage). Fuel filter was replaced in February and is good, as expected. In addition, the PCV tube is fine too.

The DTCs recorded were '0171' and 0174'.

Fuel Trim (Long = -22, Short = -3)

As for the Techron cleaner, pending. The Intake Manifold Gasket is now in question.

88Racing Wed, December 21st, 2011 02:19 PM

There's also an elbow for the pcv system behind the throttle body that tends to get pinholes in it and can cause the lean codes....

DBlackman Wed, December 21st, 2011 03:33 PM

Hey 88Racing,

I was shown the PCV at the shop. There were no evidence of damage and/or pinholes. Ironically, they too mentioned that I might be asked that question... LOL

I didn't hear from PHP today, as scheduled... bummer. Even tried calling multiple times during their posted work hours. Wittingly, I went ahead and completed and submitted the online form without their guidance I was hoping for. I paid for a Gryphon CS with custom 87-91 Octane performance calibrations. Hope to discover what is causing my problems soon. I've read the potential problems that could occur while driving under this condition for prolong periods. NOT GOOD!

88Racing Thu, December 22nd, 2011 09:03 AM

Click link>>> http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/lates...-new-post.html

DBlackman Thu, December 22nd, 2011 09:36 AM

.... Thanks for the link. I will post my prayers there.

DBlackman Sat, December 24th, 2011 03:31 PM

Hey 88Racing,

Just wanted to inform you that I had both the Intake Manifold and EGR gaskets replaced yesterday; Intake Manifold gasket had signs of wear.

As of today, no 'Check Engine' or rough idle or engine quits... In fact, the truck's performance has returned to normal, if not better. This was a long shot attempt that paid off!!! :spend:

I also took your advise and added Techron Complete to the fuel tank this morning. woot... woot...

88Racing Mon, December 26th, 2011 10:58 AM

Good to hear.....