Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   1973 to 1985 Carburated Vehicles (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Anyone Want To Help Rebuild My AFB? (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4084)

theSLEEPER Sun, April 18th, 2010 10:27 PM

Anyone Want To Help Rebuild My AFB?

Its a Carter AFB, and I'd like to rebuild it, but I don't know the first thing about where to start, or how to tune it when I'm done...

Anyone know any tips? Or where to get a good rebuild kit?

88Racing Mon, April 19th, 2010 02:07 PM

First bit of advice.
Find a good auto parts store that has some carb junkies working there and ask for their advice.
You may want to bring the carb with you. Try to clean it so numbers can be read.
Once you find yourself a kit.
Find a nice clean 4x3 area to work in make sure its well ventilated also. Keep a pad of paper handy to write info down on.
You'll also need to find some 9x13 cake pans to soak parts in. Don't use your families cooking ones either. I usually get the aluminum use once ones.
Rags.
Carb cleaner.
Tooth brushes.
Pick tools.
Small screw drivers.
Gasoline.
Read through instructions before breaking open the pack that the parts are in.
I don't know what more to tell you.
I've done a lot of carbs so I always have to see it before giving advice, besides the basics.
JMHO
Peace!:)

907DAVE Mon, April 19th, 2010 02:58 PM

It is always helpful to lay parts out in order removed, easy to forget the order of a bunch of little tiny parts. Also a small magnifying glass can be nice when inspecting parts for wear.

If the carb still has the factory plugs that are used to block off the mixture screws it is a good idea to remove them while it is out.

I have never tuned a carb without a gas analyzer, but if you can read a spark plug you should be able to figure out what needs to be done.

Good Luck

osprey Tue, June 15th, 2010 01:39 AM

Not only are the above posts great advice, but I'll give you the one I use constantly with regard to carbs: I always have two paper plates marked 'P' for primary side parts and one marked 'S' for secondary side parts.

The Carter AFB is now known as an Edelbrock carb. They are relatively easy to rebuild IF you take your time, and have a GOOD set of instructions. Just make sure you keep everything organized from start to finish, and you should be fine.

theSLEEPER Wed, June 16th, 2010 11:10 AM

Thanks guys! I'm going to undertake this soon. The motor's been sitting for about 6 years with the CCV breather off... Think I need to rebuild the motor or just try it? I guess I could pull the VC and just clean up any dust/cobwebs in there. It's not locked up. I know that.

mod11 Fri, July 9th, 2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theSLEEPER (Post 35820)
Thanks guys! I'm going to undertake this soon. The motor's been sitting for about 6 years with the CCV breather off... Think I need to rebuild the motor or just try it? I guess I could pull the VC and just clean up any dust/cobwebs in there. It's not locked up. I know that.

Clean the cobwebs ,fresh oil and fuel and let her rip.That afb is pretty simple,after rebuild turn your air/fuel mixture screwss all the way in and then two and a quarter back out.Thats rule of thumb base setting.Adjust from there.What vehicle/motor is this going on?

WD40 Sat, July 10th, 2010 02:56 AM

Do what everyone said plus take pictures as you take it apart, because the dog could come in, or one of the kids just might say Daddy, what's this????

Things that can make a big man cry.:yikes2:

Doug

cleatus12r Sat, July 10th, 2010 05:59 PM

I used to rebuild automatic transmissions. I have certain ones down to a fine art. I had a guy add an extra check ball one time to my pile for a 4L60E......

It was hard not to call him on it before I even began putting the bottom side together. It was that obvious just sticking to the magnet. That's sad.

I have heard other stories of guys adding extra carburetor parts to a rebuild being performed by someone else.......vicious.

907DAVE Sat, July 10th, 2010 10:09 PM

I like tossing in a few random bolts to a co-workers magnet tray, and watching him try to find where they were suppose to go..........lol

I will fess up to it later so he can sleep at night.

1979broncofavel Tue, November 2nd, 2010 02:29 AM

Anyone Want To Help Rebuild My AFB?

that's hilarious!!