Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   How to... (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Building an engine run stand. (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9898)

cleatus12r Sat, February 20th, 2021 02:19 PM

Building an engine run stand.

This will be an ongoing thread for the next couple of weekends as I am tired of starting these things almost literally on the floor. My dad made a cart at the beginning of recorded history and I decided to build a new one out of some scrap around the shop from other projects. I'll attach pictures as I take them and load them. The first batch should be tonight and then I'll have a few more hours in it tomorrow. His works but it's no more than a small wheeled cart which has two angled perches that the engine just sits on with a flat spot for the bellhousing to rest. No radiator attachment, no gauges, etc.

The initial build is for a 390 and then I'll build mounts for a hot little 351W I'll be putting together for a friend's derby car.

cleatus12r Sun, February 21st, 2021 02:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple pictures of this weekend's progress. I've gotten to a stopping point without gauges, fuel cell, and motivation.
:crazy:

I have an MSD 6A and coil as well as a 2V Holley Pro-Jection that I've had since 1998 that will go on this as a permanent fixture. Not that I really need that stuff on here, but it's doing as much good sitting on a shelf in the shop as it would do on this stand.

Power Hungry Mon, February 22nd, 2021 12:49 PM

Pretty nice looking.

Suggestion... I'd make the back end height adjustable. Sleeved box with set bolt. That also would allow for different bellhousing/mounting options by making a new upper section. This also helps when setting the angle of the engine so that the carb is level.

I'm sure you going to put some large casters on it. It's nice to be able to roll that sucker out of the way.

Here's a couple videos of the 289 on the Easy Run engine stand. After looking at what all the materials and components would cost, I decided it would just be easier to buy one that to build one from scratch. As much fun as it is to fabricate stuff, it really comes down to available time to actually get anything accomplished.

Anyway, enjoy.

1) 2)

3) 4)

cleatus12r Mon, February 22nd, 2021 03:00 PM

I've watched your videos numerous times. Do you still have that engine?

I thought about buying a pre-made stand but.....well.....$$$$ really didn't trump my time and spare metal. :cheesy smile: Also, Fords need a bellhousing attached anyway for starter mounting and this will just run Fords so the bellhousing to transmission bolts will always be in the same spot (again, just stuff laying around - bellhousings galore around here) so I figured I'd only need the adjustable engine mount perches.

I have a fuel cell coming and a few gauges on the way.

Yes, big casters on the way too. I only have it on stands right now so I can work comfortably at chest height.

I'm into it a day and a half and about $210 so far not counting the scrap metal and 22 year old ignition/fuel injection parts.

Power Hungry Mon, February 22nd, 2021 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleatus12r (Post 62593)
I've watched your videos numerous times. Do you still have that engine?

I thought about buying a pre-made stand but.....well.....$$$$ really didn't trump my time and spare metal. :cheesy smile: Also, Fords need a bellhousing attached anyway for starter mounting and this will just run Fords so the bellhousing to transmission bolts will always be in the same spot (again, just stuff laying around - bellhousings galore around here) so I figured I'd only need the adjustable engine mount perches.

I have a fuel cell coming and a few gauges on the way.

Yes, big casters on the way too. I only have it on stands right now so I can work comfortably at chest height.

I'm into it a day and a half and about $210 so far not counting the scrap metal and 22 year old ignition/fuel injection parts.

Yeah, that's where it's handing having a scrap pile to pull from. I don't really have that luxury, so I'd end up with a fortune just in steel alone.

To answer your question, yes... I still have that engine. It's supposed to go into the Fairlane, but I have so little time to play with the car. I'm kinda looking for roller that's in a little better shape than the one I have. There's enough stuff to choose from around here, but I'm pretty picky and haven't found just the right deal.

I'd put it in the Bronco, but a 289 just isn't going to be torquey enough to really get it going and I know I won't be happy with it. Something smaller and lighter would be a good fit for the 289. Another Fairlane that isn't quite so rusted out, or maybe a Falcon. I'm not super big on Mustangs, and they're pricey as hell as it is. Out there somewhere, I'm sure there's just the ticket for me.

Anyway, interested in watching this project come along. :thumbsup:

cleatus12r Mon, February 22nd, 2021 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 62594)
Yeah, that's where it's handing having a scrap pile to pull from. I don't really have that luxury, so I'd end up with a fortune just in steel alone.

To answer your question, yes... I still have that engine. It's supposed to go into the Fairlane, but I have so little time to play with the car. I'm kinda looking for roller that's in a little better shape than the one I have. There's enough stuff to choose from around here, but I'm pretty picky and haven't found just the right deal.

I'd put it in the Bronco, but a 289 just isn't going to be torquey enough to really get it going and I know I won't be happy with it. Something smaller and lighter would be a good fit for the 289. Another Fairlane that isn't quite so rusted out, or maybe a Falcon. I'm not super big on Mustangs, and they're pricey as hell as it is. Out there somewhere, I'm sure there's just the ticket for me.

Anyway, interested in watching this project come along. :thumbsup:

I've always thought that the small blocks would be perfect for a Ranger or Pinto. The bigger cars and pickups need a little more than a short stroke V8 to feel like they have ample oomph. Mustangs aren't my cup-o-tea either. My ex had a 72 Torino GT and I always loved that car....I guess I'm into the full frame stuff. It was a 351C car (never been a 335 series fan) so I had plans for a 429 and we know how that worked out. Want a Crown Vic? :cheesy smile:

I guess I've always been spoiled with just "having stuff laying around". I get my parts-hoarding tendencies from my dad and a lot of the stuff here is from trading/labor on things he and I have worked on over the years. I also have room for it and don't have to pay for storage so that helps.

cleatus12r Fri, February 26th, 2021 06:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got the 3 gallon fuel tank mounted which also came with stainless braided line and AN fittings. I just knew there was a reason I never used that line or those fittings. What a pain in the butt. They're on there for good though.

Anyway, the supply line is done, the pump is mounted, the filter is mounted, and the return line is a 3/8-5/16 barb adapter away from being done.

The radiator hoses are also done. Well, the FE ones anyway since every other engine family will take a different set of hoses. The upper radiator hose is a lower 99-03 7.3L lower hose with four inches cut off of one end. Funny how that works out. :happy-dancing:

cleatus12r Sat, March 13th, 2021 07:42 PM

A few vidyas! Cell phone camera quality recordings!

https://rumble.com/embed/vc0bd9/?pub=ddz3b

https://rumble.com/embed/vc0a35/?pub=ddz3b

https://rumble.com/embed/vc092h/?pub=ddz3b

Power Hungry Mon, March 15th, 2021 02:52 PM

Very cool! Engine sounds nice, too. :2thumbs:

cleatus12r Tue, March 16th, 2021 05:56 PM

That one took about an hour to remove and strip down to a bare long block (intake, rocker shafts, oil pump and tin off of it), bolt to an engine stand, and stuff into a couple of heavy duty plastic bags ready to be locked away in a shed until needed.

I have a 400 here in the shed that's supposed to be a fairly low mileage reman. although any 335-series engine with more than about 20K miles needs a rod and main tune-up anyway so it'll likely get that stuff, put on this run stand, and then sold as I already have a guy interested in it (79 Bronco owner). I have no use for any 351C/M/400 but 390's can sit around here forever as I feel they're worth their weight in gold.

That engine will likely be the next run stand victim so stay tuned. It was swapped for a 460 quite a few years ago but should still run alright and make a good candidate for the Bronco owner as his 351M has over 200K on it (his father in law bought it new) and the current owner is quite sure it's never even had a valve cover off of it. That's weird to me. It's impossible to find a 335-series that hasn't developed at least a couple burned exhaust valves after 100K and never had rod and main bearings replaced since most have zero oil pressure after 60K miles (although they still run a long time with that issue).