Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Conversation Pit (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   quick shift point question (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4777)

martinoledad Wed, June 23rd, 2010 03:09 PM

quick shift point question

I have been reading all of these shifting threads and seen where people are trying to change their shift points to get better performance or whatever and it got me wondering.

When my truck shifts into second gear(running 87 custom performance tune) it feels like it just wants to take off like a bat out of hell sometimes. So i was wondering if i could tweak the shift points a little to take this away maybe get a little more power into first gear(if possible) what way would you go up/down with the shift points and on what gear

2009 F150 5.4 6 speed transmission using the SCT X3 programmer

Thanks,

Jackpine Wed, June 23rd, 2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinoledad (Post 36253)
I have been reading all of these shifting threads and seen where people are trying to change their shift points to get better performance or whatever and it got me wondering.

When my truck shifts into second gear(running 87 custom performance tune) it feels like it just wants to take off like a bat out of hell sometimes. So i was wondering if i could tweak the shift points a little to take this away maybe get a little more power into first gear(if possible) what way would you go up/down with the shift points and on what gear

2009 F150 5.4 6 speed transmission using the SCT X3 programmer

Thanks,

Can you be a bit more specific? Are you talking about a WOT shift here? If so, what RPM is the shift set at?

- Jack

Power Hungry Wed, June 23rd, 2010 04:13 PM

You'd lower the shifts from 1-2. This will hit second gear more quickly and get you pulling. I never liked first gear on those trucks. I feel it's too low.

Enjoy.

martinoledad Wed, June 23rd, 2010 05:44 PM

It happens when i take off at a regular pace. if i take off like an old man or WOT then it doesnt do it but i rarely do either one of those. the most common is the WOT but just when i have a case of road rage:cheesy smile:

Thanks bill ill give that a try and see what happens(ive dont like these transmissions either)

Longshot270 Wed, June 23rd, 2010 06:45 PM

I was thinking lowering it would be good too. Why couldn't ford just go with a 5 speed? Isn't that what every one else is using that is doing rather well? I would have kept the regular 4 speed and try to squeeze a high/low in there. ;)

martinoledad Wed, June 23rd, 2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longshot270 (Post 36272)
I was thinking lowering it would be good too. Why couldn't ford just go with a 5 speed? Isn't that what every one else is using that is doing rather well? I would have kept the regular 4 speed and try to squeeze a high/low in there. ;)

I agree, I never had a problem with the transmission is my 07 and I gave that truck pure hell.

Power Hungry Thu, June 24th, 2010 10:58 AM

It'd be nice if there was a way to forego the 1st gear and just start out in 2nd. Then you can switch to 1st gear starts when you are loaded down and need it. See? They should have asked me what I thought. :lol:

martinoledad Thu, June 24th, 2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 36339)
It'd be nice if there was a way to forego the 1st gear and just start out in 2nd. Then you can switch to 1st gear starts when you are loaded down and need it. See? They should have asked me what I thought. :lol:

instead of putting into drive you can start out in 2nd gear then once you get going go to third..then drive. :hmmm: that might work

One question one of my friends asked me to tow there truck from lexington to ashland, KY which is about 85-100 miles. the last 20 i would say is uphill should i use my Tow tune. If he still has the same truck its just a mid size truck about the size of a ranger maybe a little bigger(GMC). be sure to rub it in that if he had a real truck(ford) it wouldnt need to be towed.:hehe:

88Racing Thu, June 24th, 2010 01:14 PM

I think if I remember right if you put it into 2nd it may go into a reduction mode to avoid spinning out on slippery surfaces.

The ranger itself should weigh over 2500 lbs so the tow tune should be used.

martinoledad Thu, June 24th, 2010 05:38 PM

Ok thanks I kind of figured i sould use the tow tune.