Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Blue Screen of Death (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281)

roosterdiesel Mon, January 19th, 2009 09:29 PM

Blue Screen of Death

:omg:

Flashing Chip....

Followed instructions installing burner drivers and everything looked fine.

THen blues screen :doh:with an error in the Slabser.sys:confused: I had to ok a
driver with that in it if I remember correctly. Did it twice on different USB ports.

Checked for BIOS update with no luck. Said I may need to turn off bios shadowing or cacheing.:shrug:

BTW...its a 4 year old Dell Inspiron 9100 with XP. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Power Hungry Tue, January 20th, 2009 11:39 AM

Uh oh... That's not good. :doh: In 4 years, I can't recall anyone ever getting the BSOD with those drivers. :(

At this point are you able to plug the unit in without the computer crashing, or does it crash as soon as the USB is plugged in? We might need to completely remove the drivers and reinstall them.

This is probably best handled by phone so let me know when would be a good time.

FWIW - I've used Dells exclusively for the last 5 years with both XP and now Vista and I have never had any problems so I doubt the issue is with the computer itself. It's probably something small and should be easy to fix.

Jackpine Tue, January 20th, 2009 04:54 PM

Kind of reminds me of when I got a BSOD updating the firmware and version on what was then my Edge (now a Gryphon). Interestingly, my PC is also a Dell - an XPS 410 running XP.

I simply started over, after rebooting, and everything was fine. But, I had my "heart in my mouth", worrying if I had "toasted" the Edge.

BSODs are so rare now, we've almost forgotten what they look like.

- Jack

Power Hungry Tue, January 20th, 2009 06:56 PM

Honestly, can't remember the last time I saw one either. In fact, how's this for cool?

Server Statistics for \*********
Statistics since 10/5/2008 7:45 PM

That was the last time I rebooted the server, and that was only because I moved it. :)

roosterdiesel Fri, January 23rd, 2009 01:00 PM

OK.....I can plug in the burner to the computer and energize it, flashes lights properly then it BSOD'd when I was moving the mouse to click the program button. Did it twice on different USB ports. This was a couple days ago.

Last night I tried again after Updating windows, was working fine, erased the chip and got the 1st position programed then BSOD.:mad2:

I'll call again next week when I have a chance and Bill's not busy.

Corey Cohron RIP Fri, January 23rd, 2009 01:25 PM

Antonio,

Are you using a 9-pin serial mouse or a USB mouse?

secondarychaos Fri, January 23rd, 2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groovy Chick (Post 2014)
Antonio,

Are you using a 9-pin serial mouse or a USB mouse?

Sorry for the Hijack, but,
I gotta say, Man I love computers :hehe:
Using a different type of mouse can interfere with program drivers?
Thank you Mr. Gates :notallthere:

Corey Cohron RIP Fri, January 23rd, 2009 02:10 PM

The scary part is that my husband KNOWS these things. :skeptic:

Bill called Antonio a few minutes after my post asking him about his mouse (that just sounds wrong for some reason...), and they've decided that they're going to uninstall/install some drivers or something -- that's what I could gather on this end of conversation anyway! -- tonight or Monday. We'll let you know what happens! :thumbsup:

roosterdiesel Fri, January 23rd, 2009 07:46 PM

Just wanting to come on thank Bill and Corey for the great customer service!:thumbsup: Oh....and it's not the mouse....it's kinda flattened though since it's touchpad.:smiley_roll1:

We were able to reinstall drivers but to no avail....I'm typing this recovering from BSOD.:thumbsdwn:

Bill should have me operational this weekend! Does he ever sleep?

Antonio

Jackpine Fri, January 23rd, 2009 09:19 PM

I don't think he sleeps at all, Antonio.

But, it HAS to be some conflict with one or more files (I'd bet on .dlls) on your PC. I think Bill codes a lot in Visual Basic. I wonder if you two have the same link libraries, or, if your PC is using a .dll in a shared directory that doesn't match the one needed by the device.

On a similar note, I have had two laptop CD drives that BSODed on me now and then when I tried to install something from a CD. One of them got so bad that I finally resorted to copying the files from it to a USB drive and then I'd install the program via USB. Interestingly, the second laptop's CD/DVD drive completely gave up the ghost a while back, so now I'm totally down to USB drive installs on it. I gave the other laptop to my Sister, and she rarely installs anything, so it's fine for her.

- Jack