Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Cold Air Intake Question (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=952)

my67rt Wed, April 15th, 2009 09:35 AM

Cold Air Intake Question

I recently put a AFE CAI on my 07 4.6 F150 and when I get on the throttle now it sounds completely different. Its a deeper growling sound. Has anybody else noticed this on their trucks that are running an CAI?

Jackpine Wed, April 15th, 2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my67rt (Post 7699)
I recently put a AFE CAI on my 07 4.6 F150 and when I get on the throttle now it sounds completely different. Its a deeper growling sound. Has anybody else noticed this on their trucks that are running an CAI?

I wonder if this is the "drone" that many people complain about? The homemade CAI does not seem to induce any additional noise.

- Jack

my67rt Wed, April 15th, 2009 09:49 AM

I guess you could call it a drone. The truck just sounds completely different now under acceleration than it did befoer the CAI. I dont really mind it I just want to know what about getting more air causes this sound?:shrug:

Dixie Design Wed, April 15th, 2009 12:25 PM

Yes, it's the normal "drone"

CAI's don't have the "ribbed elbow" that deadens sounds, just a flat curved tube. Excuse my lack of better terminology, my brain is on shut down today.

Bill can get a lot of the drone out of most CAI's with his custom tunes.

my67rt Wed, April 15th, 2009 12:33 PM

Good deal, I just sent off my Edge to be converted to a gryphon and am getting a custom tune also so hopefully it will help. Thanks for the info Dixie Design.

88Racing Wed, April 15th, 2009 12:44 PM

The drone noise is cool at first. Really cool if your a kid impressing friends. But after a while it become kind of a bother. As dixie said earlier the drone noise can be tuned out. If you get the gryphon you can run level 2 canned tow tune until the custom tunes arrive.

Lars

Dixie Design Wed, April 15th, 2009 05:58 PM

OR....

Get exhaust that drones out the CAI :hehe:

kokopellimotorsports Wed, April 15th, 2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Design (Post 7753)
OR....

Get exhaust that drones out the CAI :hehe:

That is a good idea.:smiley_roll1:

Ty

Jackpine Wed, April 15th, 2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kokopellimotorsports (Post 7757)
That is a good idea.:smiley_roll1:

Ty

And then, wait for it.... :cheesy smile:

You could get subwoofers that drown out the exhaust!

And, for some of you guys, not me! :angel: This would also drown out the annoying sounds you occasionally hear coming from the right front side of the cab. :hehe:

- Jack

soutthpaw Wed, April 15th, 2009 08:17 PM

if you look at any modern vehicle you will see all kinds of bends and boxes coming off the air intake. their whole function is to modify the resonance of the air flowing through the tube to reduce the sound transmitted to the engine compartment...

how does the saying go??? if its too loud you are too old...