Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Transmission shifting question. (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1643)

04FX4 Wed, August 12th, 2009 07:37 PM

Transmission shifting question.

Why is it when I shift my tranny manualy into a lower gear it seems as if it does not have the same amount of HP and TQ when it shifts into a lower gear on its own?
Example going up a hill towing my trailer in drive ,when it shifts into 2nd it has lots of power, and when I manualy put it into 2nd it seems as if it does not have the same power.

08F150 Wed, August 12th, 2009 07:52 PM

There was some discussion somewhere on the forum about that before. I think the pcm drops the power level of the engine (torque reduction) when manually shifted if I remember correct. I don't remember why it does it but I'm sure someone here should remeber why.

Jackpine Wed, August 12th, 2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08F150 (Post 13850)
There was some discussion somewhere on the forum about that before. I think the pcm drops the power level of the engine (torque reduction) when manually shifted if I remember correct. I don't remember why it does it but I'm sure someone here should remeber why.

There WAS a discussion on this - quite a while back and I entered in on it too. It's something to do with the way Ford has set up torque in 2nd gear.

I think there's a reduction at either low speed or low RPM to help you get moving on "slippery surfaces". Remember the old trick of starting in 2nd on ice to avoid spinning the tires? (Naw, you're too young). :) But anyway, above a certain speed or RPM, full torque transfer comes in and you can pull like a bandit!

I pull my 3600# trailer up over the high Colorado passes (11,000+ feet) with the transmission locked in 2nd.

- Jack

Longshot270 Wed, August 12th, 2009 09:04 PM

I know on the display where you can pick four options to watch and one of them is the torque management. I think it would be a good experiment to have that up and try it next time you tow. Play with the auto 2nd and the manual 2nd and then come tell us the results.

Longshot270 Wed, August 12th, 2009 09:21 PM

AH HA! found it, the article is called "Question for the Mad Dr.":happy-dancing:

Name fooled me, had to do a little cross refrencing between JandJ's posts and a search, thats why it took so long but I guess within 15 minutes out of hundreds of posts about towing isn't so bad.:crazy:

Jackpine Wed, August 12th, 2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longshot270 (Post 13868)
AH HA! found it, the article is called "Question for the Mad Dr.":happy-dancing:

Name fooled me, had to do a little cross refrencing between JandJ's posts and a search, thats why it took so long but I guess within 15 minutes out of hundreds of posts about towing isn't so bad.:crazy:

"Searching" is such fun, isn't it? :crazy: You notice I didn't even try. :o

- Jack

88Racing Wed, August 12th, 2009 10:18 PM

Bringing up my early days on here!
Oh well.
Enjoy!

Lars

Longshot270 Wed, August 12th, 2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackandJanet (Post 13873)
"Searching" is such fun, isn't it? :crazy: You notice I didn't even try. :o

- Jack

yeah actually I did, so I found it in your own profile. :face-lol: