Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tire size on stock changed before Gryphon (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7480)

dginter Tue, November 29th, 2011 10:44 AM

Tire size on stock changed before Gryphon

I just recieved my Gryphon CS and have a question about existing (stock) programming. I have a friend that's a Ford mechanic and we reflashed my truck for my new tire size (went from 275/65R18 to 305/65R18) before recieving the Gryphon CS. is this considered my stock tune now? If this is my new stock tune, will it affect the Gryphon's canned tunes when i put in the tire size? or even the custom tunes when I receive them? Want to make sure that when I enter the tire size on the Gryphon that it doesn't double down on the tire size...
this has me a lil worried as I am new to this

88Racing Tue, November 29th, 2011 11:28 AM

If the tire size was flashed to the vid section of the pcm you shouldn't have anything to worry about....the CS should read it when reading the stock tune in the pcm....the only worry you might have is an unsupported hex code which may not be the case......

Edit.....one thread per subject topic please.....

dginter Tue, November 29th, 2011 11:55 AM

thanks 88, he did flash it to the vid section so i'll see what happens when i get to puttin' er in...
hate to ask another question, but should i update the CS on fusion before i hook it up to my truck?
sorry, will keep the threads down, just didn't know what section to post it in,
but as i see you're on top of it where ever i post it, thanks again...

88Racing Tue, November 29th, 2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dginter (Post 53308)
thanks 88, he did flash it to the vid section so i'll see what happens when i get to puttin' er in...
hate to ask another question, but should i update the CS on fusion before i hook it up to my truck?
sorry, will keep the threads down, just didn't know what section to post it in,
but as i see you're on top of it where ever i post it, thanks again...

Yes....update it....

dginter Tue, November 29th, 2011 07:21 PM

got 'er all updated and installed< didnt touch the tire size n she was pretty peppy on level 2, got in and changed the tire size to 33.6 n she stuttered on accelleration n some misfiring, so changed it back to stock (think it was 29.6)
she's runnin' pretty good on level 2 but still has the putter/backfire...
any thoughts?
and would the cal ecm be the hex? RXCM6E7

88Racing Wed, November 30th, 2011 07:51 AM

Yes that's your hex code......

You might want to try this for the sputtering......

Load the tune of your choice

Disconnect the programmer

Disconnect the battery

Clean the maf/with maf cleaner and throttle body/with throttle body cleaner.....optional is to change the fuel filter.....do it if it hasn't been done for awhile.....

Reconnect the battery

Reconnect the programmer

See if this helps.....

Also.....how many miles on the spark plugs?

dginter Wed, November 30th, 2011 08:59 AM

I thought that was the hex code, but actually was thinkin' it'd pop up on the screen as 'Hex Code:'... ka duh, ha ha
took the gotts off after i had the dual exhaust installed cause it started sputterin' then too (before the Gryphon), was afraid of runnin' too lean...
got about 50k miles on these plugs, changed 'em out at 60k so probably should change 'em, boy does that suck like two hoovers...
been runnin' a can of sea foam past 2 tanks anticipating the plugs. what do you think of sea foam? and what do ya think of suckin' it down through the brake vacuum booster line? and should i put 'er to stock before ever trying something like that?
i'll go ahead n do the MAF n filter too, guess i'll need to take off the throttle body to clean, right?
Thanks a ton 88, great help

88Racing Wed, November 30th, 2011 09:09 AM

No
No
No
No
Please no seafoam.......

It might have had its day with carburated motors....but not with efi.....

Why why why is it you guys like that junk.....its paint thinner, Naptha, and kerosine.......it has no properties on disolving carbon at all...hopefully you change the oil....

The proper products that can be used are Techron, Gumout with Regane, Berrymans b12

I see way to many motors that have been puckered by seafoam along with o2 sensors and cats......

dginter Wed, November 30th, 2011 09:31 AM

well that settles it then... no sea foam!
thanks, i respect your opinions 88, especially a resounding one like that
techron it is! or...
which of those three is the best?
have ya ever heard of mixing acetone and trans fluid 50/50 for a penetrating oil?

88Racing Wed, November 30th, 2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dginter (Post 53343)
well that settles it then... no sea foam!
thanks, i respect your opinions 88, especially a resounding one like that
techron it is! or...
which of those three is the best?
have ya ever heard of mixing acetone and trans fluid 50/50 for a penetrating oil?

Ford endorses Techron......any of the three I mentioned work but just run them through the fuel system and DON'T RUN IT IN THE BRAKE BOOSTER HOSE!>>>reason? Unused puddles of the cleaner can sit on gaskets surfaces and eat away at them.....prolong exposure to the plastic in the intake manifold can soften the plastic....

Never ever run more than the recommended amount per fuel tank capacity......running too much of any of the fuel system cleaners can effect the o2s and cats....

dginter Wed, November 30th, 2011 09:52 AM

if Ford endorses it, that's whats goin' in then...
still dreadin' the plugs, ha ha
thanks again!

Longshot270 Wed, November 30th, 2011 09:00 PM

I'm with 88, Techron or B12. I've never used the other one. Seafoam is only good at removing water (from the isopropyl alcohol) and even that is limited.

88Racing Wed, November 30th, 2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longshot270 (Post 53372)
I'm with 88, Techron or B12. I've never used the other one. Seafoam is only good at removing water (from the isopropyl alcohol) and even that is limited.

Its good for cleaning paint brushes too.....:hehe:

dginter Thu, December 1st, 2011 09:50 AM

well, truck died n just got towed of the expressway
i was getting on the expressway and accelerating and right bout 50 mph n lost all power, she dropped to about 800 rpm's, no response when pushing the accelerator pedal... pulled off the side and she was runnin' very rough like on 2 cylinders or somethin and shakin' a bit...
turned her off n now won't start.
you all think it could be something w/ the programmer? had it on level 2
did notice a lil extra tickin noise this morning but would go away w/ a rise on rpm's
placed it back to stock
hooked up to a snap on 2500 computer and shows no codes, says fuel pressure is 40 psi, removed plug and she has spark, the injector flashed
any ideas? i'm at a loss

Jackpine Thu, December 1st, 2011 10:19 AM

Maybe the Seafoam? I cannot imagine the tune would have this effect for any reason.

You possibly have an injector problem now that has been aggravated by that stuff. I really think your only option now is to take it to the dealer. (You should have received the "injector problem" letter from Ford.)

- Jack

88Racing Thu, December 1st, 2011 11:33 AM

Few suggestions....

Clean the maf

Clean the TB

Change the fuel filter

Unplug the programmer and disconnect the battery before performing the above.....after the above is completed reconnect the battery and plug the programmer back in....

Locate and inspect the fuel pump driver module.....located on the frame crossmember in front of the spare tire.....you have to drop the spare to get a good look at it and remove it from its location.....check for cracks and corrosion near plug and backside of case.....

Jackpine Thu, December 1st, 2011 02:00 PM

I keep forgetting the fuel pump driver, although I suspect if it were bad, you would not have 40 psi pressure. Clogged injectors though are always a possibility.

And, I take it you were not in "Limp Home Mode"? That should have turned the "wrench" light on, but a bigger tipoff is the coolant temp gauge would have been pegged on hot (even though the coolant temp is normal. (Your other symptoms sound a bit like limp home mode.)

- Jack

Longshot270 Thu, December 1st, 2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dginter (Post 53379)
well, truck died n just got towed of the expressway
i was getting on the expressway and accelerating and right bout 50 mph n lost all power, she dropped to about 800 rpm's, no response when pushing the accelerator pedal... pulled off the side and she was runnin' very rough like on 2 cylinders or somethin and shakin' a bit...
turned her off n now won't start.
you all think it could be something w/ the programmer? had it on level 2
did notice a lil extra tickin noise this morning but would go away w/ a rise on rpm's
placed it back to stock
hooked up to a snap on 2500 computer and shows no codes, says fuel pressure is 40 psi, removed plug and she has spark, the injector flashed
any ideas? i'm at a loss

Doesn't sound like the tune based on what happened. Too bad you didn't hook it up to the computer before reflashing back to stock. That wipes the memory.

The drop to 800 RPM while going 50 is strange. Limp home mode would have dropped it into 3rd gear if I'm not mistaken. Doing so would have kept the RPMs pretty high.

Have you checked all the fluid levels?

Jackpine Thu, December 1st, 2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longshot270 (Post 53403)
Doesn't sound like the tune based on what happened. Too bad you didn't hook it up to the computer before reflashing back to stock. That wipes the memory.

The drop to 800 RPM while going 50 is strange. Limp home mode would have dropped it into 3rd gear if I'm not mistaken. Doing so would have kept the RPMs pretty high.

Yes, and limp home puts it on 4 cylinders, so it runs poorly, but it can be driven. I was not really too much in favor of calling it limp home.

The low rpms really just sound to me like fuel (or air) starvation, either would cut the other.

- Jack

88Racing Thu, December 1st, 2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longshot270 (Post 53403)

That sometimes use to happen with bills canned tow tune until he tweaked the torque management tables....but he can't do that to edges tunes.....

dginter Fri, December 2nd, 2011 06:57 AM

thanks evryone for the responses, haven't gotten to dig into it too far cause of work.
Have my buddy, the ford mechanic comin' over after work n gonna check it out, he's pretty good he won ford's troubleshooting competition about 3 years ago...
i have a gut feeling it has to do with the timing, somethin' along those lines...
will let y'all know what we come up with.... thanks again

Longshot270 Fri, December 2nd, 2011 12:56 PM

Ok, post what the issue was when you find out. :thumbs up yellow:

dginter Mon, December 5th, 2011 05:02 PM

sorry haven't gotten back in abit but been sick and my laptop crashed too... doin' this from my PS3,
my well, after acompression check with a ford computer, which is a comparative reading,
cyl 1 4% loss
cyl 2 21% loss
cyl 3 21% loss
cyl 4 has 20% loss
with the 5.4 being an interference engine, i'd think it skipped time n bent a few valves...
what do y'all think?

dginter Mon, December 5th, 2011 05:06 PM

anyone know any options for anew engine?

88Racing Mon, December 5th, 2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dginter (Post 53529)
anyone know any options for anew engine?

Long block
Short block
Modified
Performance
Stroker
Reman
Used

?????????????

dginter Mon, December 5th, 2011 07:39 PM

thinkin long block, something performance if w/in reason
something that'll tie right in with the puter

88Racing Tue, December 6th, 2011 08:07 AM

Check out fox lake racing or MMR.....

dginter Wed, December 7th, 2011 10:02 AM

just spoke w/ ron from fox lake, it's lookin' like it'll be a lil pricey to fix 'er...
need to pull the engine n take it up to them n they'll work from there...
looks like i have my work cut out for me :sigh:
was thinkin' bout rebuildin' it myself but it bein' a modular n extra complicated i'm a lil weary of that

dginter Tue, January 3rd, 2012 08:16 AM

sorry for long gap in posting laptop still goners. finally got 'er back on the road again with a remanufactured engine from ford (got a discount there). she's runnin' great. well, after i pulled the engine out thursday, removed the passenger side valve cover and found my third rocker arm just layin' in the head along w/ about half of the roller and there was only one of the valve spring retainers in, found the other retainer in the oil pan with the rollers needle bearings. the rocker was for the #1 cylinder. still baffled on what really happened cause i lost compression of about 20% on cylinders 2, 3, and 4 and 1 only lost 4%. maybe jumped time or advanced cam advanced too far and smacked the valve??? have any ideas? thanks
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/membe...11227-1731.jpg