Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Help a new guy out? (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8305)

wolve1060 Thu, April 19th, 2012 02:05 PM

Help a new guy out?

Hey guys. I am sure you guys have gotten this a million times but I am fairly new to diesels and was looking for some help. I recently purchased a 2002 ford f-350 7.3 powerstroke. It has a 6" lift with 33's, bullydog cold air intake, 4" turbo back and then 5" cat back, fairly new trans in it and he said he put a shift kit in it as well. I would like to get more power out of it and was looking at getting a 6 position chip for it. I was hoping to get your advice on how you would approach this whether I need custom tunes or what not, or what you would do different and so on. From everything I have been told it is highly recommended to put gauges in the truck before putting a chip in it so one of my buddies has a bullydog watchdog that he is selling and was wondering if you think that would be okay to use or should I get something else. You guys come highly recommended so I figured I would ask the experts. Thanks for your help!

ToMang07 Thu, April 19th, 2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolve1060 (Post 57483)
Hey guys. I am sure you guys have gotten this a million times but I am fairly new to diesels and was looking for some help. I recently purchased a 2002 ford f-350 7.3 powerstroke. It has a 6" lift with 33's, bullydog cold air intake, 4" turbo back and then 5" cat back, fairly new trans in it and he said he put a shift kit in it as well. I would like to get more power out of it and was looking at getting a 6 position chip for it. I was hoping to get your advice on how you would approach this whether I need custom tunes or what not, or what you would do different and so on. From everything I have been told it is highly recommended to put gauges in the truck before putting a chip in it so one of my buddies has a bullydog watchdog that he is selling and was wondering if you think that would be okay to use or should I get something else. You guys come highly recommended so I figured I would ask the experts. Thanks for your help!

The watchdog would work for reading the OEM sensors... but unless it has an EGT (Pyro) Probe... you won't be able to read EGTs with it. Also, the OEM sensor that it reads boost from only reads up to 22ish PSI....and with a chip and 4" exhaust you couls be pushing 30. Really your best bet is a set of gauges, which will have their own sensors.

Welcome to the forum. You will love PHP's tunes if you get them! :howdy:

88Racing Thu, April 19th, 2012 11:36 PM

:howdy:

rammertide07 Mon, April 23rd, 2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToMang07 (Post 57486)
The watchdog would work for reading the OEM sensors... but unless it has an EGT (Pyro) Probe... you won't be able to read EGTs with it. Also, the OEM sensor that it reads boost from only reads up to 22ish PSI....and with a chip and 4" exhaust you couls be pushing 30. Really your best bet is a set of gauges, which will have their own sensors.

Welcome to the forum. You will love PHP's tunes if you get them! :howdy:

Just FYI to add to that....you don't want to go over 24-25psi on a stock turbo.

ToMang07 Mon, April 23rd, 2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rammertide07 (Post 57615)
Just FYI to add to that....you don't want to go over 24-25psi on a stock turbo.

Very true....which is why it is important to actually know what you are getting for boost. :thumbs up yellow:

DocBar Wed, May 2nd, 2012 06:25 PM

Look up some sites like xtreme diesel performance and get a 3 or 4 gauge pillar set up. Transmission temp, boost and pyrometer are a very common set up. You should also consider installing a regulated return fuel system. The TS 6-pos. chip is what I like. I've used SCT and EDGE programmers. I still use an SCT to scan for codes.

Watch out for the power bug. Once it bites you, 7.3's get e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e!!

rammertide07 Thu, May 3rd, 2012 07:12 PM

My input on gauges is the AeroForce Interceptor. Yes ive been having problems with mine, but I have to give props to their customer service. It is currently sent off for warranty repair (hopefully replacement). But the concept of it is awesome. It is the size of a gauge...like the 2 1/16" gauges. But it plugs into the OBD2 port and reads available pid's. It can also take 2 aux inputs for egt and boost. Boost is available through the MAP sensor, but as mentioned it is only accurate so far. The auxillary boost gauge is mire accurate up to 100psi. You could also put the 2 aux inputs on a switch to switch to another aux input. Just change the slope and y (or x?) intercept in the aux gauge set-up screen.

It also has an anunciation (spelling) option. So if you don't want propane or water/method to be injected until 10psi, when it senses 10psi it will send current to the relay to engaged the propane or water/meth.

It can pull/clear codes, run injector buzz test, and cylinder contribution test.

When my gauge comes back I should have all of the aux sensors and components needed to read egts and boost.