Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   1997 to 2003 F-150 (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   97-03 Gryphon (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4522)

Ron Tue, May 25th, 2010 08:28 AM

97-03 Gryphon

I've had my Gryphon installed on my 01 F-150 now for a couple months and still am wondering what the fuss is about.
I am going to keep it though because it has potential as an "instrument cluster". The problem now is where does one find the parameters ie: TFT for tranny fluid temp, etc???

Jackpine Tue, May 25th, 2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 33857)
I've had my Gryphoney installed on my 01 F-150 now for a couple months and still am wondering what the fuss is about.
I am going to keep it though because it has potential as an "instrument cluster". The problem now is where does one find the parameters ie: TFT for tranny fluid temp, etc???

Have you looked at the owner's manual? And, I don't believe you CAN monitor the TFT in your older model truck, but there are other PIDs you CAN monitor.

What exactly did you expect from a programmer? There were never any claims that it would turn your truck into a drag track star. But, it certainly will improve the shifting characteristics and, in your model year give you a bit of added HP and torque. In my case it also gave me better fuel economy, but that gain is very dependent on one's driving style.

- Jack

88Racing Tue, May 25th, 2010 02:15 PM

The tft display hasn't happened yet with everything that's been happening in the last year of PHP's owners.
I'm sure Bill will make it a reality someday.
As far as your gryphons goes;
Do you have canned or custom tunes?
If you do.
Have you tried them out?
There are a lot of happy customers with them, I myself incuded.
Peace!:)

Ron Wed, May 26th, 2010 08:19 AM

Paperweight

I've looked in the back of the book and the other reference as well. It's nice to see all those parameters listed and unfortunate that they can't be used. The book also says there are other parameters built in to the Gryphon. I can read fairly well and follow instructions, however, I don't seem to be able to bring them up on the screen. I knew from the start that the Gryphon was not going to turn my truck into a fire breathing dragon but, for the money I expected something and I got it, a nice, expensive digital instrument cluster. Thanks to all who responded.

ticopowell Thu, May 27th, 2010 03:05 AM

I used to have an 01 F-150 Screw, and with my gryphon I also did not have the TFT or a few other sensors that are in the manual, but I honestly dont think Ford has those sensors installed in the trucks of that age. i agree that more performance would be nice out of those trucks, and I did notice a little difference, but the largest difference is the shifting strategy was a great improvement.
To find the parameters to display, if i remember right, you need to go to the setup page, click display, click whichever display option you want(2,3, 4 item displays, or others(forgot which because I dont use them)) and then a list should pop up showing what is currently set to display. I use the 4 item display personally because it shows the most so I know what is going on better. To change the display, select the one you want to change, then scroll up or down on the list to find it, then when it is highlighted hit enter then set as display and it should bring you to the actual display and have your selected items displayed. I believe that is what the manual says, but it is in my truck, and my truck is a 10 minute walk(gotta love dorms), so I cant help much more than that.
On another note, I really like the gryphon, and I think that my experience with it so far warrants buying one for every future truck that I own, as long as Bill can program them :)
Again I hoped that helped a little, and if it didnt, or if it was a repeat of stuff that you already know, then I apoligize :). Have a great week :D

Longshot270 Thu, May 27th, 2010 08:54 AM

I've heard that there isn't the same amount of power increase in that age bracket as the newer ones.

If you need to have the TFT you could get an electrical trans fluid guage for $40. I'm not sure how long it will be until Bill will be able to update the programmers for it and Sunpro has some really cool looking guages.

cleatus12r Thu, May 27th, 2010 06:03 PM

The TFT PID is not Bill's doing. He's only able to do what Edge allows him to do and at this point there are no plans for Edge to allow a TFT PID.

88Racing Fri, May 28th, 2010 07:21 AM

Ah yes the CS/CTS is out of Bill's hands and that's up to edge weather or not they want that pid. But........
The original gryphon was to have one added by Bill which hasn't happened yet?
So it up to the OP to come forth and tell us WHICH gryphon version he has.
Peace!:)

Ron Fri, May 28th, 2010 09:26 AM

Paperweight II

Thanks to one and all for the helpful responses. I think the gent that said there isn't much improvement in an older Ford.
I think the sellers should make mention of this because I could have picked up other "stuff" for almost 5 bills. I'm still having a problem finding usable displays for the gauge, I've pretty well worn out "set up" etc, looking for them to no avail.
Perhaps, someday, all the displays will be available and easier to find. I guess I will just let it sit on my dash for the time being; I'm installing a crate engine probably a year from now and will try to sell it then. Again, many thanks for all the feedback.

Longshot270 Fri, May 28th, 2010 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
PHP does say on their website that the 97-03 F150s do not have the same power gains in the newer F150s. The older trucks usually get up to 15 horsepower increase while the 04 and up get 25 to 35 hp.
Attachment 531
Power Hungry Performance - Gryphon™ CS & CTS - Gasoline