Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   First impression (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7916)

A/Ox4 Sun, February 19th, 2012 11:38 PM

First impression

I went from a DP to PHP. Night and day difference. The PHP tunes are much more drivable. The throttle is smoother as are the shifts.

The new tunes feel more sophisticated and refined where as the tunes from dp felt like they were made for a high school kid with daddy's money (in retrospect).

However, I do say I like the DP shift strategies better. I am fighting a shift between 25 and 30 mph and might send it back to get fixed :shrug:

cj45lc Mon, February 20th, 2012 09:04 AM

Which tune are you having the shift problem with...I'm no help just curious

rammertide07 Mon, February 20th, 2012 09:09 AM

That's good to hear from someone that has tried both. DP is overpriced imo. Most guys at TDS push DP hard. I put in a good word for PHO every chance I get.

You know you can combine the Whisper tune with any other tune (see my sig). Only thing that changes of a performance tune is the idle. When you press the accelerator, everything goes back to normal. FYI in case you wanted another tune.

A/Ox4 Mon, February 20th, 2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj45lc (Post 55728)
Which tune are you having the shift problem with...I'm no help just curious

Every tune.

I talked to some guys on OutlawPSD.com and I'm not the only one.

rammertide07 Mon, February 20th, 2012 12:10 PM

What do you mean you're fighting a shift? Shifting too late or too soon?

Shake-N-Bake Mon, February 20th, 2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rammertide07 (Post 55741)
What do you mean you're fighting a shift? Shifting too late or too soon?

I am curious also...
Perhaps the shift you are referring to is too soft or too hard compared to the other gears? If so, then it might be possible that you are experiencing the TC lock since on my truck it feels like a harder "shift" compared to the changes between real gears. However, my truck has an upgraded TC so I figure that might be the reason for the extra firmness when it locks up. I wonder what it's supposed to feel like with a stock TC???

When I have AE connected on a stock truck...I noticed the TC solenoid appears to be modulated so it might not receive full line pressure immediately but more of a two step lock up sequence. :shrug: (or at least it seems that way from the live data I've seen...)

At any rate, when I first installed my PHX chip I noticed the TC lockup and thought it was a bit too aggressive. However, it didn't take long to become accustomed to it and now it's a non issue. Seems hardly noticeable now unless I revert back to my previously driving style. I let my wife drive my truck just to see if she would notice anything and she didn't have any complaints...her only comment was that my truck seems like it has a lot more power than her truck so I was happy with that report. :)

Thanks for the report Trey, I was very curious to hear from someone who had tried both tuners in the real world. :thumbs up yellow:

rammertide07 Mon, February 20th, 2012 02:32 PM

I just noticed you don't have gauged...next purchase? I'm assuming your transmission is stock as well?

tdpower Mon, February 20th, 2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A/Ox4 (Post 55733)
Every tune.

I talked to some guys on OutlawPSD.com and I'm not the only one.

No problems with my shifts. Maybe explain the issue a little better and maybe Cody will chime in. I guess you can say what ever you want on the outlawpsd.com.:whistle1: Who owns that site? The black background makes it kind of hard to read.

A/Ox4 Tue, February 21st, 2012 12:10 AM

By "fighting" I meant fighting with whether I want to send it back to have it fixed.

What happens is when it goes to shift (or perhaps its the TC.. idk) it feels like it engages a clutch and waits to catch the next gear. It takes about .5-1 second and then the next gear will engage, but when it catches it kicks.

I will try to get a video of it.

rammertide07 Tue, February 21st, 2012 07:10 AM

I think I know what you're talking about. It's like the transmissions has stored up all the extra power from the engine, then slams into gear? That's the way my stock transmission acted with the TS tunes before I burned it up and upgraded it. The stock torque converter hardly covers stock engine output, IIRC.