Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2009 to 2014 F-150 (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   does tow/haul=overdrive (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2724)

martinoledad Wed, December 30th, 2009 04:40 PM

does tow/haul=overdrive

i was just wondering if the Tow/haul button was the same thing as the overdrive button on the older models.

shotgun Wed, December 30th, 2009 05:20 PM

The best I can figure out it's also different shift points, lock up points, and shift delays. In short, it's a completely different shifting strategy. It also provides engine brakeing.

The manual provides a lot of good information.

88Racing Wed, December 30th, 2009 05:42 PM

Good job Shotgun!
Ford has copied GM on this one. GM has been running a set up like this since 2003. At least they have on the HD gassers.

shotgun Wed, December 30th, 2009 05:46 PM

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. :giggle:

Do you think they change the AFR too (richer)? :shrug:

Jackpine Wed, December 30th, 2009 06:45 PM

Holy Cow! What a great modification! Makes me ALMOST want to run right out and get a new truck! Then I think of the payments and.... :shrug:

But, it's clearly NOT the same thing as the overdrive button. That only locked out 4th gear. As far as I can tell, nothing else changed.

They could have easily set the A/F ratio a bit richer too, as long as they stayed within EPA guidelines.

And, shotgun, super research! Good on you!

- Jack

martinoledad Wed, December 30th, 2009 07:11 PM

ok thanks for the info

so is the overdrive automatically on

shotgun Wed, December 30th, 2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinoledad (Post 21531)
ok thanks for the info

so is the overdrive automatically on

You're welcome.

Based on my towing experience, yes it is. When I'm towing my 4000 lb boat on level roads, I have seen the same RPMs (around 1800 at 65 mph) as when I'm not towing. However, it does take longer on a flat road (with steady throttle position) to get to OD and it doesn't take much additional throttle to get it to drop out.

Note that I do have a 3.73 LS rear end.

martinoledad Wed, December 30th, 2009 09:28 PM

i have the same rear end

88Racing Wed, December 30th, 2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgun (Post 21516)
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. :giggle:

Do you think they change the AFR too (richer)? :shrug:

In GM's they don't.
Alls it boils down to is different shift strategies and torque management that are both electronically controlled.

Jackpine Thu, December 31st, 2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgun (Post 21533)
You're welcome.

Based on my towing experience, yes it is. When I'm towing my 4000 lb boat on level roads, I have seen the same RPMs (around 1800 at 65 mph) as when I'm not towing. However, it does take longer on a flat road (with steady throttle position) to get to OD and it doesn't take much additional throttle to get it to drop out.

Note that I do have a 3.73 LS rear end.

Is there a way to lock the OD out? Possibly a D1, D2 position for the shifter? I can see how this would be desirable if the transmission was constantly shifting up and down. But, I've never been one to subscribe to the adage: "Don't tow with the OD on." If lower gears aren't needed, might as well save gas.

- Jack