Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Odd Oil Change Result (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1302)

Dixie Design Tue, June 23rd, 2009 07:08 AM

Odd Oil Change Result

So I've had my truck 4 years, changed my own oil 90% of the time. Every single oil change in the past has used 6qts of oil. Changed her last night, 6qts, and checked the dipstick, barely registered on the dipstick that there was any oil in her at all. Let her run for a little bit, took her around the block, same result. Not an ounce of leak or spillage and oil pressure is high. Should I grab an extra quart or let her ride as she ALWAYS drank 6qts? Thanks guys.

88Racing Tue, June 23rd, 2009 10:23 AM

Add a little then run it shut it off check it. I'll do some searching.

Lars

Jackpine Tue, June 23rd, 2009 11:52 AM

Dixie, this is a dumb question, and please don't feel insulted, but are you sure the dipstick is fully seated?

I can see a buildup of sludge causing the capacity to decrease. But, I honestly cannot think of a single reason for the capacity to suddenly increase. It's not like you have an expanding oil pan in your truck.

- Jack

Dixie Design Tue, June 23rd, 2009 12:18 PM

LOL Jack, I'm not offended at all. I have been known to make some "here's your sign" mistakes in my wannabe grease monkey days. :) But to answer your question, yessir, she's seated. Drove her about 15 miles to work today, going to check again before I leave, see if it's any different before picking up an extra quart.

edit:

ok, the suspense is killing me, going out to check now :)

Dixie Design Tue, June 23rd, 2009 12:36 PM

Update

She's dead nuts now. Odd. Probably something stupid I was doing yesterday :doh: or maybe it had something to do with it being 104 out when I changed the oil, maybe I was hallucinating from dehydration. :giggle:

Appreciate the help guys!

88Racing Tue, June 23rd, 2009 12:48 PM

My next question was "Is it on level ground" but that's pretty basic 101 stuff!

Glad its full now!

Another thing is that once one of the foil seals came lose on a bottle and plugged a oil hole in a head on a customers car and that thing was always 1 quart shy. But when the motor warmed up and cooled off everything was fine. Found it when doing valve cover gaskets one day and then an oil change and everythings been ok after that. They had tried using stop leak oil additive.
LOL

Lars

Jackpine Tue, June 23rd, 2009 01:01 PM

Isn't it weird when problems "self-correct"? :crazy:

Maybe there ARE gremlins in the world. :disbelief:

- Jack

Dixie Design Tue, June 23rd, 2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Racing (Post 11028)
My next question was "Is it on level ground" but that's pretty basic 101 stuff!

LOL, I actually had that typed in one of my responses that I expected someone to ask me that! If I had posted this at F150online.com I would have been written off as the world's largest idiot in the first 3 min of the post being up, lol. I still swear I don't take offense to the questions, and really appreciate you prefacing those questions like you did :D

I'm sure I'll have some more "duh" posts when I get around to installing my efans. Ordered them in Feb i think? Heck of a layer of dust on the boxes, lol.

88Racing Tue, June 23rd, 2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Design (Post 11035)
LOL, I actually had that typed in one of my responses that I expected someone to ask me that! If I had posted this at F150online.com I would have been written off as the world's largest idiot in the first 3 min of the post being up, lol. I still swear I don't take offense to the questions, and really appreciate you prefacing those questions like you did :D

I'm sure I'll have some more "duh" posts when I get around to installing my efans. Ordered them in Feb i think? Heck of a layer of dust on the boxes, lol.

Hey Neal

When you get around to dusting those boxes off. Check into a SPAL controller it seems guys over at f150online are having better luck with them than troyers. Not unless troyer has upgraded his.
I do "duh"s too from time to time.

Lars

Jackpine Tue, June 23rd, 2009 04:12 PM

Me too! (Lots of times). Over on the f150Online electrical forum, the moderator there (named SSCULLY) and I seem to be in a contest to see who can post the biggest count of dumb statements/questions. He's told me he's bound to win though, since as a moderator, he can delete any of mine. :cry-blow:

I do think it's sad though, to see how eager some people are to put down others, and, how quickly some people take offense. For the most part, we've managed to avoid that in these forums.

- Jack