Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   1997 to 2003 F-150 (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Battery Light On (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1872)

fordkindaguy Sun, September 27th, 2009 10:20 AM

Battery Light On

Hey everyone i was driving to work this morning and my battery light came on:notallthere:. I have the tuner set to stock and checked the voltage with the gryphon and its showing 11.7v to 11.9v. All the cables are snug on the battery, which was replaced a year ago. Any insight may help. thanks!

Jackpine Sun, September 27th, 2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordkindaguy (Post 15373)
Hey everyone i was driving to work this morning and my battery light came on:notallthere:. I have the tuner set to stock and checked the voltage with the gryphon and its showing 11.7v to 11.9v. All the cables are snug on the battery, which was replaced a year ago. Any insight may help. thanks!

If you're seeing that voltage with the alternator running, I'd think the alternator has failed. I think Autozone will test it for free and I'd have that done.

- Jack

fordkindaguy Sun, September 27th, 2009 07:13 PM

has anyone had luck with the bosch alternators? the motorcraft is twice the price

88Racing Sun, September 27th, 2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordkindaguy (Post 15380)
has anyone had luck with the bosch alternators? the motorcraft is twice the price

I know it's hard with electrical parts to say which one is best.
When I look at those parts I carefully weigh my options.
I usually go with the one with the best warranty for the least amount of money.
Some of the remans I have bought, have outlasted new ones.
See what one would run through www.rockauto.com.
Usually sticking with the MOCO you will get the best luck but also the higher price.
You may also have to replace the battery again? Just depends if the alt did any erractic charging.

Lars

fordkindaguy Mon, September 28th, 2009 06:32 AM

Hey lars thanks for the input, the moco is $240 so i think i'm gonna talk to the guys at advance auto parts and see what they think. I think my battery is ok though as its putting out steady voltage. I'm going in to get it fixed today before it drains the battery

Jackpine Mon, September 28th, 2009 09:56 AM

AND, if you have a battery charger, it would be best to recharge your battery using one of those. Alternators don't really like to be forced to recharge a "low" battery, and I'd say yours qualifies on that score.

I've heard about (and experienced) alternator damage due to uncharged batteries in the past.

- Jack

fordkindaguy Mon, September 28th, 2009 11:20 AM

Ok so just got home from advance it was tough figuring out which i needed the 90 or 130amp. finally concluded on the 130. now for some reason my gryhon is acting funny. every time i start the truck it shows a warning and i have to hit enter. whats up with that? its on stock

88Racing Mon, September 28th, 2009 01:41 PM

First did you clear any codes in the diagnostics menu? If no codes were cleared start with clearing them.
You may just have to unplug it with key off. Then with key on engine off plug it back in.

Lars

Jackpine Mon, September 28th, 2009 01:58 PM

As I recall, this has something to do with a low (or maybe disconnected) battery.

When you reconnected the battery, did you turn the ignition ON before plugging the Gryphon into the OBD port? If not, it did not initialize properly. Do it now. Unplug the Gryphon, turn the ignition ON and plug it back in.

Regardless though, if the Gryphon seems to be working fine otherwise, I think the "hit enter" warning will go away after about three startups.

(And I just realized that Lars already said to try the "disconnect" procedure - Oh well, it doesn't hurt to repeat it).

- Jack

fordkindaguy Mon, September 28th, 2009 02:44 PM

Ok so i got the new alternator on but i didnt notice that advance sent me with an 8 groove pulley instead of the 6 :( is this a bad thing?