Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   1997 to 2003 F-150 (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   4.6 to 5.4 swap? BILL....HELP!!! (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2295)

RobbyMartin Sat, November 28th, 2009 08:56 AM

4.6 to 5.4 swap? BILL....HELP!!!

I've lost compression in one of my cylinders recently and I'm going through a self debate of whether to swap from 4.6 to 5.4 or just to replace with a different 4.6 all together. This is the second time in 2 years this has happened to me and it's not cheap. I want the extra power of the 5.4 because I'm power hungry and I know it can be done but is it worth the extra work and $$$ to make everything connect right (exhaust collectors, wiring, and computer tuned to be a 5.4, etc)? Can you do that Bill?

On another note, the truck is lifted with 35" tires and has 4.56 gears. I'm considering going down to 4.11's ... what's your input?

I want everyones opinion on both things please....I'm desperate and need to act soon.

Jackpine Sat, November 28th, 2009 10:47 AM

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but wouldn't a new truck actually make more sense? I don't know the age of your truck, but the mods you are considering are not cheap and, you're still left with some older, "closer to failure", components.

- Jack

Power Hungry Sat, November 28th, 2009 04:13 PM

Robby,

Jack brings up a good point. What year is your truck? Depending on just how much you have invested, it might make more sense to just hunt down a 5.4L. However, if the 5.4L conversion is the route you decide to take, a LOT is going to depend on what year the truck is. Switching form a 2V 4.6L to a 2V 5.4L isn't all that bad. Switching from a 2V 4.6L to a 3V 5.4L opens up a whole world of problems.

Let me know what we're working with here and we'll see what advice we can offer.

Take care.

RobbyMartin Mon, November 30th, 2009 08:33 AM

Jack and Bill,

My truck is an '02 Screw w/165k miles. I would love to get into a new truck but I don't have that option or being able to afford a payment every month, so upgrading was something I really wanted to consider. I'm staying with the 5.4 2v family because I hear it is much much easier than going to 3v. I hear that I have to have a 5.4 tune for it to run right. Does that mean that I can plug in a tuner meant for a 5.4 or does it go beyond that? I need to act on what I'm going to do in the next day or so, so I am counting on you guys to help me decide on the 5.4 or the 4.6.

Thanks
Rob

88Racing Tue, December 1st, 2009 11:25 AM

If you have a 4.6L 2V then stick with that. The only gains with the 5.4L 2V is a little bit of hp and some more torque.(Can't find the #'s right now)
But if you do have some extra cash and can find a new or used 5.4 2V then do go ahead with that option. Make sure to get the related components with the motor. A salvage yard may be your best friend.

RobbyMartin Tue, December 1st, 2009 08:17 PM

I'm going with the 5.4 for sure.....I found a mechanic that says he can change the motor from a 2V to a 3V and will guarantee all his work. He's an engine builder for a local stock car team in my area and I hear he is good.

Jackpine Tue, December 1st, 2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyMartin (Post 18670)
I'm going with the 5.4 for sure.....I found a mechanic that says he can change the motor from a 2V to a 3V and will guarantee all his work. He's an engine builder for a local stock car team in my area and I hear he is good.

Wow! Take a great big deep breath and cross your fingers! I'll be interested in how it turns out. I know it CAN be done, and if you've got the right guy, you're all set. :thumbsup:

- Jack

RobbyMartin Tue, December 1st, 2009 09:10 PM

I hope he knows his Fords. Just being curious, what are the major hiccups with going from 2V to 3V?

Jackpine Tue, December 1st, 2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyMartin (Post 18679)
I hope he knows his Fords. Just being curious, what are the major hiccups with going from 2V to 3V?

I don't have a clue. Bill does, and I suspect Lars might too. And, I'm sure there are others on here that know something about this "mod". ;) Maybe they'll chime in here and give you some thoughts.

- Jack

88Racing Tue, December 1st, 2009 11:14 PM

I think I'm on hdforum's no wait it PHP.
TBW-throttle by wire.
Different PCM.
Stick with the 5.4 2V and avoid the "plug" problem or find an 08' with brown COP boots= good plugs.
Jeeez trying to recall the differences.
I will be back with more.