Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Minotaur with quarterhorse Emulator (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9963)

Powerstroke Cowboy Sat, November 6th, 2021 07:20 PM

Minotaur with quarterhorse Emulator

Hello all,

I just picked up a Quarterhorse emulator to use with the Minotaur software. I am really looking forward to "live" tuning my 7.3L Should make it a lot easier to get the idle set up right and clear up some of the haze in cold weather starting. Its a pain having to reburn the chip to test new tunes and see what the changes made perform like.

My question is. How do I get the Quarter horse to work? Do I need the 4-bank switch to use it for live tuning? The reason I ask is, I installed the QH on the J3 port just like a chip, I have the harness plugged in to the laptop I use for tuning. All is fine the engine will start and run in till I try to load the tune onto the QH. as soon as it loads the engine shuts off and will not start till I turn the QH off or hit the Stock button.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

David

Power Hungry Mon, November 8th, 2021 01:17 PM

Normally, there shouldn't be any issues using the QuarterHorse. It's quite literally plug & play. What size binary file are you using? 224K? 256K? The QuarterHorse is going to require 256K files.

Let me know, or give us a shout and we can try to get this figured out for you.

Thanks!

Powerstroke Cowboy Mon, November 8th, 2021 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 62921)
Normally, there shouldn't be any issues using the QuarterHorse. It's quite literally plug & play. What size binary file are you using? 224K? 256K? The QuarterHorse is going to require 256K files.

Let me know, or give us a shout and we can try to get this figured out for you.

Thanks!

Thank you for the response! I think you just pointed out the problem. My files are 224k not 256k. So I am sure that's the problem. Now to convert the files to 256k and try again.

Thanks for the tip Bill!! I did not know that.

Power Hungry Wed, November 10th, 2021 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerstroke Cowboy (Post 62928)
Thank you for the response! I think you just pointed out the problem. My files are 224k not 256k. So I am sure that's the problem. Now to convert the files to 256k and try again.

Thanks for the tip Bill!! I did not know that.

No worries. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Powerstroke Cowboy Wed, November 10th, 2021 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 62930)
No worries. If you have any other questions, let me know.

I got another question... :cheesy smile: I resized the files from 224kb to 256kb. As soon as the quarter horse downloads the file the engine shuts off and the check engine light comes on. As long as I keep the file loaded it will not start. But as soon as I click the "stock" button on the emulator, the check engine light goes out and it will start.

I have tried loading the file through the QH with the pickup off, key on and with the pickup running. The same thing happens both times.

Power Hungry Wed, November 10th, 2021 06:21 PM

Can you PM me the file? I can take a look and see what's up. The file has to be in a specific format, and the bank ordering and padding are important.

Powerstroke Cowboy Wed, November 10th, 2021 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 62932)
Can you PM me the file? I can take a look and see what's up. The file has to be in a specific format, and the bank ordering and padding are important.

Here you go. And thank you.

Power Hungry Wed, November 10th, 2021 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Corrected File.

Keep in mind... Much has changed in the last 10 years. With the release of the Hydra chip, we've switched everything over to the 256K format. It's easier to deal with and the files are handled in a logical addressing and bank format that is similar to the structure of the PCM. The old TS chips used a 224K format and bank structure that really wasn't the best approach.

This attached file will only work with the appropriate 256K definitions. If you're using the 224K-based definition, the file will load into the software and the emulator, but the visual representations in the software (Maps, Parameters, Functions...) are going to be jacked up due to the addressing difference between the formats. This means you won't be able to actually live tune the file until you get the correct definition.

I'm out of the office until Monday (having knee surgery tomorrow). If you want to catch up with me then, we can get that part resolved.

Take care.

Power Hungry Wed, November 10th, 2021 06:42 PM

Quick question... Are you using a TS chip or a Hydra chip?

Powerstroke Cowboy Wed, November 10th, 2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 62935)
Quick question... Are you using a TS chip or a Hydra chip?

I am useing the ts chip and burner that came with the minotaur setup I bought from you years ago.