Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   7.3L 38R Turbo Wheel Comparison (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9967)

Power Hungry Mon, December 27th, 2021 09:39 AM

7.3L 38R Turbo Wheel Comparison

Here's one from the archives! Enjoy. :D

Wicked Wheel G2 for 38R Test Results

cleatus12r Tue, December 28th, 2021 10:46 AM

Going way back! It sucks that the thread ended before any real world customers got back with results.

Nobody talks about the 38R anymore except to convince people not to buy one. I have one - used freebie - not impressed. On the 2000 2wd (white with red stripes),I'm going back to a stock turbo when I redo the front suspension. Still keeping the 250/200% injectors in it though as I'm too lazy to change them again.

Power Hungry Tue, December 28th, 2021 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleatus12r (Post 62960)
Going way back! It sucks that the thread ended before any real world customers got back with results.

Nobody talks about the 38R anymore except to convince people not to buy one. I have one - used freebie - not impressed.

Yeah, that's pretty much where we're at with it as well. A regular turbo with a Wicked Wheel 2 is a much better configuration. Either that, or a custom build from KC Turbo. Those work really well, too.

25 years into tuning the 7.3L, things have finally reached an equilibrium. Not much going on any more in the way of new development or testing. People have moved on to the 6.4L and 6.7L.

cleatus12r Tue, December 28th, 2021 04:49 PM

"Move on" to the 6.4? That's a few stories down from anything that could be considered a rational thought. :hehe:

The 6.0 is a decent step up if it's one that has lasted this long but the 6.4 will always be something to skip over and go straight to a '15-up 6.7.

Powerstroke Cowboy Wed, December 29th, 2021 09:04 PM

Bill, have you tuned any pickups with pulsars GTP38R turbo? If so how has it done?

Cleatus12r. Careful what you say about the 6.4, mine might hear you and deside to lay down and die!! Its got a little over 316k and still runs like a champ. About 100k of it has been done without a certain hindering system on.

Power Hungry Thu, December 30th, 2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerstroke Cowboy (Post 62970)
Bill, have you tuned any pickups with pulsars GTP38R turbo? If so how has it done?

I have not specifically. However, one thing you want to do with tuning any larger turbo is back the ICP and timing down a touch to help get the turbo spooled. Too much ICP and/or timing at low RPM tends to reduce the amount of heat energy in the exhaust and makes the turbo a little laggy off the line. Reduced timing helps low end torque and improves the spool of the turbo. Once RPMs come up, normal timing and ICP curves are fine.

Powerstroke Cowboy Thu, December 30th, 2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 62973)
I have not specifically. However, one thing you want to do with tuning any larger turbo is back the ICP and timing down a touch to help get the turbo spooled. Too much ICP and/or timing at low RPM tends to reduce the amount of heat energy in the exhaust and makes the turbo a little laggy off the line. Reduced timing helps low end torque and improves the spool of the turbo. Once RPMs come up, normal timing and ICP curves are fine.

Thanks Bill. So I guess no data show what it is capable of. I am sure must folks are scared of the knock off version. After all, it can be had for under 900.00.