Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Cold Air Intake . (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197)

average-joe Sun, January 4th, 2009 08:25 AM

Cold Air Intake .

What is the best Cold Air Intake for the 5.4L,here are some of the most common brands.Feel free add to the list.

K&N

Volant

Banks

S&B

AFE

Airaid

To be fitted on a 08 f150(gryphon will be added also) im not looking for a loud intake,noise must be at a min in the cab.
Chip in with some views...............thanks

Corey Cohron RIP Sun, January 4th, 2009 09:25 AM

When people are really set on getting a CAI, we normally recommend two:

The Air Force One 3" or the K&N 57 or 63 series. I have a question, though -- are you doing any heavy towing where you'd need to monitor your cylinder head temps?

average-joe Sun, January 4th, 2009 09:52 AM

Not towing but i will carry heavy loads in the bed from time to time,sheetrock and lumber,trash, concrete,roof shingles ect ect........it's my DD and my own work truck.The loads can be extreme thats why i had the heavy duty package,transcooler,4.10 rear,uprated frame and suspension and so on.

Corey Cohron RIP Sun, January 4th, 2009 10:20 AM

Gotcha. ;)

johnnyd Sun, January 4th, 2009 12:25 PM

I have a Air Force 1 on my 05 and my father-in-law has one on his 08. :thumbsup:

MercedesTech Mon, January 5th, 2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groovy Chick (Post 1038)
When people are really set on getting a CAI, we normally recommend two:

The Air Force One 3" or the K&N 57 or 63 series. I have a question, though -- are you doing any heavy towing where you'd need to monitor your cylinder head temps?

What if we do ? Is the sensor somehow connected with the stock intake ? On both the 5.4 and the 4.6 ???

I have been thinking about going with S&B or the Volant. I like the filter INSIDE the box. Will help keep the mud and crud off it.

average-joe Mon, January 5th, 2009 05:52 PM

Can anyone recommend a intake with a box ,thanks.

svt2205 Tue, January 6th, 2009 05:08 AM

I wouldn't recommend S&B. The first one I recieved had an air flow tube that was poorly molded. The mouting location/surface for the mass air sensor was all screwed up. S&B sent a replacement that wasn't much better. In my opinion they have poor process controls (I'm a manufacturing engineer so I know a little something about this)

When I finally "fixed" the mount so that the mass air sensor sealed on the air flow tube and installed the system. I had 3 problems. The first was the air flow tube hits the firewall. And during the thousand or so miles I put on with the CAI, my fuel mileage dropped 2 - 3 mpg per tank. No resetting of the computer, battery disconnecting, or whatever did anything to correct this. Removal and replacing the CAI with the stock air intake, my mileage returned to normal. Last issue was the annoying drone that came with the CAI.

Don't waste your money on the S&B.

MercedesTech Tue, January 6th, 2009 11:12 AM

to be honest, thats the FIRST negative thing I have heard about S&B, and I have read lots of reviews.

Anyone else not happy with S&B ??

Corey Cohron RIP Tue, January 6th, 2009 11:44 AM

:fyi: Bill can't totally tune out the drone on the S&B -- I believe it's the only one he can't get to quiet down. :covermouth: