Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Replacement PCM programming (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1770)

HeavyAssault Mon, September 7th, 2009 01:41 PM

Replacement PCM programming

If I were to buy a backup PCM can Bill flash the PCM to work in my truck? Are there any features or tuning that can be done to the new PCM by Bill? (IE Agressive T/H, speedo for tire size, mild power gains)

Power Hungry Sat, September 19th, 2009 09:29 PM

In most applications, we can set up a spare PCM with the same tuning we offer in a standard programmer. Then all you have to do is swap it out at your convenience. The catch is that we need a valid copy of the VID block in order to have it work in the spare PCM and have all the build options correct. The best way to get this is to send in the PCM for a read but this is often too inconvenient to be practical. We can usually take an educated guess on the build based on VIN information the current options (tires, gear, 4wd, etc.) that are installed on the vehicle.

I hope this helps.

HeavyAssault Sun, September 20th, 2009 05:38 AM

If I happen to be in the area or willing to travel to your shop can you read the VID block while the orginial PCM is still in the truck?

Power Hungry Tue, September 22nd, 2009 09:15 AM

Absolutely. It'll only take a minute to read the PCM and push everything into the replacement unit. Just let me know when you have plans to be down this way and we'll get it taken care of. :)

mr.c Sun, September 27th, 2009 12:20 PM

Bill: I have a 2004 Powerstroke 11/03 build. The dealership has flashed away most of my towing power. I bought a spare FICM a while back and had you reprogram it. Better but nowhere near what it was. If I bought a spare PCM and sent it to you along with another FICM, could you flash it back to what I bought in a new truck? Original power and economy. Engine braking in tow/haul. I am not looking for a powerhouse that will compromise the head gaskets. Just the power that it had before Ford flashed it all away. The FICM that I had you flash has the inductive heat flash. You had mentioned a while back that you were going to reflash those with a different strategy. Are you doing those now?
Also, after installing the FICM that I had you flash, The truck has shown an incompatability code.
Last question: If I buy another PCM, does it need to be from a 2004 or can it be earlier or later build?
I did read here that you need the existing information on the current PCM.

Power Hungry Sun, October 4th, 2009 11:27 PM

If you send in a PCM and FICM, we can reprogram them with the original, as-built calibrations. Some of the later PCM flashes have been extremely weak, particularly on the '05 and up.

You shouldn't have any problem using the later FICM hardware and in fact is all you can buy new from the dealer at this point.

Let me know if you have any other questions.