Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Conversation Pit (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Digital camera recommendations.... (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6833)

cleatus12r Wed, July 20th, 2011 11:36 AM

Digital camera recommendations....

To start, I already have a Nikon Coolpix4600. It's old and slow. Heck, I bought it in late '04. It will record movies, but it has no sound capability. Why any company would make a digital camera that can shoot movies but not have sound is beyond me. Anyway....

I'm in the market for a decent digital camera. A DSLR would be nice, but for what I do with it and where it would go (the shop is not so friendly for electronic devices), a simple P&S would be fine with me. Besides, I'm not made of money, so it has to be affordable. I got a free Sony something or other about 2 years ago...great little camera with wonderful sound recording to go with the movies, but I gave it to the ex before I knew she was going to be an ex.

Here are a couple must-haves:

Something that takes AA batteries.
Something that takes a normal SD card.
Movies with sound.
Macro setting.

Any advice or personal experience would be appreciated.

Longshot270 Wed, July 20th, 2011 11:58 AM

The Cannon PowerShot SX110 IS is one of the best cameras I've ever used. It has many settings that can be found on the DSLRs but is still a PAS. I got mine over 4 years ago for $220. Now you can get even better versions for less.

Jackpine Wed, July 20th, 2011 12:18 PM

I'm really pleased with my Canon Ti1. Now they offer the Ti2 and Ti3 :hehe:, but I think the Ti1 is still available. It's probably more expensive than you want, but it takes beautiful pictures and movies (with sound). The battery is a Canon battery, but it has about a 500 picture charge capacity and I bought two additional ones that were not Canon branded for around $10.00 each? I got my camera at Costco and it came with an 18-55mm and 55-250mm lens pair. I've got a 16Gb SD card in it which gives me over 2300 still pictures capacity at the highest jpeg setting.

At the moment, I think Canon is really leading in photographic equipment. I'm sure the one Colby recommended is a good bet too.

- Jack

cleatus12r Wed, July 20th, 2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackandJanet (Post 49727)
I'm really pleased with my Canon Ti1. Now they offer the Ti2 and Ti3 :hehe:, but I think the Ti1 is still available. It's probably more expensive than you want, but it takes beautiful pictures and movies (with sound). The battery is a Canon battery, but it has about a 500 picture charge capacity and I bought two additional ones that were not Canon branded for around $10.00 each? I got my camera at Costco and it came with an 18-55mm and 55-250mm lens pair. I've got a 16Gb SD card in it which gives me over 2300 still pictures capacity at the highest jpeg setting.

At the moment, I think Canon is really leading in photographic equipment. I'm sure the one Colby recommended is a good bet too.

- Jack

My friend has that camera. It's a very nice unit. But it is a bit much for what I would ever need.

What ever happened to these things? 110 film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :hehe:

Longshot270 Wed, July 20th, 2011 01:05 PM

I almost got the PAS one like Jack's but after the battery issues I had with my Cannon Digital Elph I went with something that could use AA batteries.

cleatus12r Wed, July 20th, 2011 01:06 PM

Yeah, I'm partial to AA batteries myself.

Longshot270 Wed, July 20th, 2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleatus12r (Post 49728)
My friend has that camera. It's a very nice unit. But it is a bit much for what I would ever need.

What ever happened to these things? 110 film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :hehe:

I still have some old sets of 110 film but I never found a place to develop them.

Power Hungry Wed, July 20th, 2011 01:12 PM

Forget 110....

What about this? Disc film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Longshot270 Wed, July 20th, 2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 49736)
Forget 110....

What about this? Disc film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those are older than I am by nearly a decade. :geezer::hehe:

Jackpine Wed, July 20th, 2011 05:57 PM

It's funny, for a company that produced such good film (Kodachrome - the gold standard), they really also introduced some funky products. Some of their cameras look like they were aimed at toy stores for children.

- Jack