Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   Help please (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9955)

beerbeer95648 Sat, September 25th, 2021 03:49 PM

Help please

2 Attachment(s)
I've been having trouble with my chip. I know I did a lot of good cleaning. But what it looks like was when I installed the chip I must have caught this piece here on the PCM. I'm extremely nervous to try to bend it back in place in case I break the thin solder joint. Anybody know what this is specifically, and if someone could re-solder (not me) it if I break it?

Power Hungry Sun, September 26th, 2021 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerbeer95648 (Post 62864)
I've been having trouble with my chip. I know I did a lot of good cleaning. But what it looks like was when I installed the chip I must have caught this piece here on the PCM. I'm extremely nervous to try to bend it back in place in case I break the thin solder joint. Anybody know what this is specifically, and if someone could re-solder (not me) it if I break it?

When installing the Hydra in an OBS PCM, the crystal (the little metal can) needs to be folded down out of the way so that it does not any of the components on the PCM or touch the chip itself.

I hope this helps.

PHP Ward Mon, September 27th, 2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 62867)
When installing the Hydra in an OBS PCM, the crystal (the little metal can) needs to be folded down out of the way so that it does not any of the components on the PCM or touch the chip itself.

I hope this helps.

Bill,

Is that crystal a re-solderable part if it gets broken? Would that be something we could repair in-house or would that be something for Diesel Tech or a circuit board repair shop?

-Ward

Power Hungry Tue, September 28th, 2021 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHP Ward (Post 62868)
Bill,

Is that crystal a re-solderable part if it gets broken? Would that be something we could repair in-house or would that be something for Diesel Tech or a circuit board repair shop?

-Ward

Good question...

If for some reason it should go *snap*, yes it can be resoldered. However, in 25 years I've never actually broken one. You gotta get pretty frisky with it to cause the lead to break.

The trick is to keep the flexing to an absolute minimum. If you work any piece of metal back and forth enough, it'll break. If you just lean it over gently, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

I hope this helps.

beerbeer95648 Tue, September 28th, 2021 06:04 PM

Took your advice as well as the guys from DTC and pushed the crystal flat in the direction it was already bent. It now has room to clear the chip and is not touching anything else. Seem to be back in business. Thank you guys.