Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Newbie From Missouri (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1007)

T&Df150 Fri, April 24th, 2009 12:33 AM

Newbie From Missouri

I have an 06 F150 5.4L 3V with a K&N 57-2556 FIPK CAI, should I take this off until I get my EDGE upgraded. Also, dose anyone have any E85 custom tunes, I am planning on getting some soon and I would like to get an idea of the power and fuel millage gains. Thats it for now but I'm sure there will be more questions to come. O and my exhaust has no muffler with a 3" turn down before the axle.
Thanks, Trent :howdy:

Power Hungry Fri, April 24th, 2009 12:47 AM

Welcome, Trent from Missouri. :) Glad to have you aboard!

If you run the K&N, we recommend running the Level 2 towing program. This has a fuel curve that is a little more compatible with the K&N and should run pretty well until you get your custom tunes.

Other will hopefully step in with E85 economy numbers.

Take care.

T&Df150 Fri, April 24th, 2009 01:14 AM

:doh: I've been running E85 with the level 3 tune and just filled up today. I don't think level 2 to will work with E85, last time I tried the check engine light came on and the truck went into limp home mode, or it was just running rough, not sure why, probably tripped the knock sender. :shrug: I guess I will run this tank out and switch to regular gas and then to level 2 sense it works fine with 87.Tell then Ill take it easy, lol.:thumbs up yellow:

88Racing Fri, April 24th, 2009 06:40 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Lars

cleatus12r Fri, April 24th, 2009 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T&Df150 (Post 8275)
:doh: I've been running E85 with the level 3 tune and just filled up today. I don't think level 2 to will work with E85, last time I tried the check engine light came on and the truck went into limp home mode, or it was just running rough, not sure why, probably tripped the knock sender. :shrug: I guess I will run this tank out and switch to regular gas and then to level 2 sense it works fine with 87.Tell then Ill take it easy, lol.:thumbs up yellow:

The check engine light likely came on due to P0171/174 codes. These are lean codes and the PCM is unable to correct the fuel trims or has to correct more than 15-20% from base. It takes A LOT more E85 per unit of air to compare to gasoline.

Jackpine Fri, April 24th, 2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleatus12r (Post 8281)
The check engine light likely came on due to P0171/174 codes. These are lean codes and the PCM is unable to correct the fuel trims or has to correct more than 15-20% from base. It takes A LOT more E85 per unit of air to compare to gasoline.

And probably, because of the CAI, the feedback loop between the O2 sensors and the MAF sensor was unable to compensate? (That would be my guess, anyway). That CAI may be driving you VERY lean. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you took the CAI off and ran it again with E85 on Level 2.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! :howdy:

- Jack

88Racing Fri, April 24th, 2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T&Df150 (Post 8269)
I have an 06 F150 5.4L 3V with a K&N 57-2556 FIPK CAI, should I take this off until I get my EDGE upgraded. Also, dose anyone have any E85 custom tunes, I am planning on getting some soon and I would like to get an idea of the power and fuel millage gains. Thats it for now but I'm sure there will be more questions to come. O and my exhaust has no muffler with a 3" turn down before the axle.
Thanks, Trent :howdy:

I know its personal preference but the one mod you have kinda bugs me.

Personally I like a rumble out of my exhaust instead of a cackle. Cats back systems are better sounding and do the truck more justice than just no muffler. A number of members will back me up on this. No I am not a muffler sales man either, I just have dealt with a lot of vehicles over the last 26 years.

BTW it looks better if you get pulled over for noise ordinance tickets if there is one there.

Just a thought.

Lars

JWBFX4 Fri, April 24th, 2009 10:11 AM

Welcome to the forum :howdy:

Afrancis Fri, April 24th, 2009 11:10 AM

Welcome :howdy:

cj3511 Fri, April 24th, 2009 01:45 PM

:howdy: Welcome to the form.

Jim