Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gryphon Programmer (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   "Gotts" a question (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8113)

Doubles Sat, March 17th, 2012 04:43 PM

"Gotts" a question

Hi all, I'm new to the forum (hope you don't mind my pun) and have a couple questions regarding the "Gotts" Mod.

I just recieved my Gryphon (07 5.4) and have not yet installed it. I also plan to add the Gotts Mod. any reason I should do one prior to the other? I was going to install the Gryphon then the Gotts.

Also, I've seen where some have advised to unhook the battery to install the Gotts so the PCM will recognize it faster. I am assuming this doesn't apply if i have the Gryphon since I'll be running a tune anyway?

any advice appreciated!

Jackpine Sun, March 18th, 2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 56701)
Hi all, I'm new to the forum (hope you don't mind my pun) and have a couple questions regarding the "Gotts" Mod.

I just recieved my Gryphon (07 5.4) and have not yet installed it. I also plan to add the Gotts Mod. any reason I should do one prior to the other? I was going to install the Gryphon then the Gotts.

Also, I've seen where some have advised to unhook the battery to install the Gotts so the PCM will recognize it faster. I am assuming this doesn't apply if i have the Gryphon since I'll be running a tune anyway?

any advice appreciated!

Hi Doubles -

You can install the Gryphon before the Gotts Mod or the other way around. It really makes no difference. And, from what Bill has told me and from his description of testing with and without the snorkel, you need not disconnect the battery at all. The PCM really doesn't "learn" anything with this modification. The O2 sensors handle all the adjustments for the increased airflow.

Hope this makes sense.

- Jack

Longshot270 Sun, March 18th, 2012 05:51 PM

Yep, Jack got ya covered :thumbs up yellow:

ToMang07 Sun, March 18th, 2012 09:19 PM

I have to ask....what's a "Gotts" mod? :shrug:

Longshot270 Sun, March 18th, 2012 10:24 PM

It is a mod on the 4.6L and 5.4L gas engines that consists of replacing the stock fender snorkel that has an ID of ~2 inches with PVC that has a 3 inch ID.

Why? http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/conve...html#post36692, this is for a 4.6L.

ToMang07 Mon, March 19th, 2012 08:45 AM

Gotcha. Just never heard of it before. :thumbs up yellow:

Doubles Mon, March 19th, 2012 10:31 PM

Thanks for the info Jack. Much appreciated. We had some storms when I was going to install the Gryphon so it's still not in yet.....but I should be able to find some time soon.

One other question for all while I'm at it: I have an 07 5.4 that is equipped to accept Flex Fuel. I've seen where there have been a few people with the Flex Fuel engines having issues with adding mods, programmers, etc.. Is there anything I should be especially careful about or look for that differs from the other 5.4s?

thanks for the help!

Jackpine Tue, March 20th, 2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 56735)
Thanks for the info Jack. Much appreciated. We had some storms when I was going to install the Gryphon so it's still not in yet.....but I should be able to find some time soon.

One other question for all while I'm at it: I have an 07 5.4 that is equipped to accept Flex Fuel. I've seen where there have been a few people with the Flex Fuel engines having issues with adding mods, programmers, etc.. Is there anything I should be especially careful about or look for that differs from the other 5.4s?

thanks for the help!

I'm not really aware of any specific problems in the 07-08 model year trucks that are caused by mods. As far as I know, the design changes were in things that could be "attacked" by ethanol, like seals and such. Possibly, there was a change in the design of the 02 sensors as well, but that shouldn't cause the problems you describe.

So, to answer your question, I can't think of any special precautions you need to take. There've been many posts on using E85 in this forum though, and most of them have been negative, due to the reduced gas mileage.

- Jack