Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Performance Modifications and Other Conversations (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Oil Filters? (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5264)

workinprogress Tue, September 21st, 2010 02:13 PM

Oil Filters?

:howdy:Hey just curious on some other peoples opinions on K&N oil filters vs fram, motorcraft, etc. I am running a K&N on my diesel right now, getting ready to do routine maintenance on all the vehicles and just wondering: does anyone know or whats your opinion: are the k&n oil filter really worth the money? I don't personally see how they are any better. Just curious as to what kind of responses I'll get

907DAVE Tue, September 21st, 2010 02:16 PM

Wix (Napa Gold), or Motorcraft FTW!

Colt Fri, September 24th, 2010 02:08 AM

I've ran K&N oil filters in the past, they worked fine for me. They are built good, and claim they filter down to 8 micron's.. Typically I run Motorcraft oil filters on the diesel's ( same goes for fuel filters ) though.. Thats all I run period in the 6.0's.

On the gassers, I run Mobil 1 filters.. No real reason why, I just figure that they make good oil, so I bet their filters are good too.. I either run Mobil 1 synthetic, or Royal Purple. The gas engine's look flawless when doing a tear down, so thats why I stick with them.

I dont run Fram even if thats all thats in stock, I'm not a fan. Most of the time when I've ran them in the past, the check valve doesnt work. Go to pull the filter off after a cool down cycle and the filter typically doesnt have much oil to speak of in it. Not to mention I've seen too many pictures of the aftermath after they came apart.

88Racing Tue, October 19th, 2010 10:34 PM

Glad to hear you're not a fram lover!:cheesy smile:

As mentioned before......wix.....napa.......motorcraft

FuturePharmD Wed, January 5th, 2011 09:51 PM

I run a motorcraft in the summer when running rotella, but when I find mobil 1 on sale I run a Mobil 1 filter. Usually its 5 quarts and filter for $30 so I get two oil filters and a motorcraft fuel filter. Truck seems to start better in the cold with the synthetic.

cleatus12r Thu, January 6th, 2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 907dave (Post 39403)
Wix (Napa Gold), or Motorcraft FTW!

What he said.

:thumbs up yellow:

ChuckD Fri, January 7th, 2011 11:40 PM

Purolater (Motorcraft) only filters I run even on the race engines.

dariuswilkinson Sun, January 9th, 2011 09:52 PM

2007 Ford E-450 Super Duty Oil Filter

I think they are worth the money. Nevertheless, I am still amazed at super duty oil filter. I purchased a
2007 Ford E-450 Super Duty Oil Filter and I was satisfied. Check car-stuff because they have reliable oil filters there. Hope this helps. :)

FARMBOY22 Sat, January 22nd, 2011 06:12 PM

I have talk to more than one engine builder who said not to run frams. They over filter and will starve an engine for oil. How this happens when there is a bypass I don,t know. The guy who built my last drag motor said to run only K&N or Wix Racing filters on it.