Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Pictures? (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325)

Crzycrazycarl Sat, January 24th, 2009 05:56 PM

Pictures?

Hey, does any one have any pictures of a 94-97 diesel with the smoke setting on the PHP chip. I have a 97 with little mods and am just wondering how much more smoke I would get with the smoke setting.

Corey Cohron RIP Sat, January 24th, 2009 09:18 PM

Hey Carl! Until recently, our dealers had handled the majority of our diesel customers, so the final customer might not have even known that it was a PHP chip! :omg: We will be installing one of our Phoenix modules (a copyright thing :rolleyes:) on a 7.3L and taking pictures and video -- especially of installation and our calibrations like Whisper Mode and SmokeShow in action! Check back from time to time. ;)

Crzycrazycarl Sat, January 24th, 2009 10:02 PM

okay cool, thank you

cleatus12r Sun, January 25th, 2009 05:25 PM

Smoke......:thumbsdwn:

Neal 97 250 Tue, January 27th, 2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groovy Chick (Post 2121)
Hey Carl! Until recently, our dealers had handled the majority of our diesel customers, so the final customer might not have even known that it was a PHP chip! :omg: We will be installing one of our Phoenix modules (a copyright thing :rolleyes:) on a 7.3L and taking pictures and video -- especially of installation and our calibrations like Whisper Mode and SmokeShow in action! Check back from time to time. ;)

That whisper mod has got my curiosity up. Never heard of it before now. Can it be driven in the whisper mode or is it just for drive thru's?

Power Hungry Tue, January 27th, 2009 02:07 PM

We can do it a couple different ways. The problems we've run into with "Whisper Mode" is that to take full advantage of it, we have to do some aggressive fuel and timing adjustments. This ultimately the vehicle rather undriveable. We could do a standard "Quiet Idle" style program that would still perfectly streetable but it won't be as quiet as the Whisper Mode program at idle.

Hope this helps.

Neal 97 250 Tue, January 27th, 2009 02:56 PM

Yes that helps. I have heard horror stories having to do with timing settings put on the Economy settings of some (one in particular) companies. They would "pop" as I was told, doing regular driving down the interstate.

Would this be another reason you would not want to drive it in whisper mode?

Have you also heard of this situation?

Corey Cohron RIP Tue, January 27th, 2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal 97 250 (Post 2285)
That whisper mod has got my curiosity up. Never heard of it before now. Can it be driven in the whisper mode or is it just for drive thru's?

Check out this post on FTE about Whisper Mode. The specific post is #7, but it's an interesting thread, nonetheless. ;)

Power Hungry Tue, January 27th, 2009 04:11 PM

Neal,

With the whisper mode, the timing actually goes retarded, not advanced, so a "windowed" motor is not the issue. What is, is severe lack of performance because with no timing the truck won't pull.

As to the "Economy" program issue, there is still a great deal of contention about that. Without getting into specifics, the issue seems to be most prevalent on vehicles with Stg. 2 injectors running that file. Customer have complained about excessive "rattle" along with other issues such as instability when switching to (or from) that file to other files on the chip. I've been asked be customers with ventilated blocks to peruse the calibrations on their chip and have found issues with that specific file. To that extent, I've done that best that I can to make the company aware of the specific nature of the issues. I'm sure they are working them out and would hope that will be the end of it.

Take care.

Neal 97 250 Wed, January 28th, 2009 06:42 AM

Thanks for clearing that up a bit Bill.
I don't think I have the problem from the person I got my chip from, do you think? You know who I got my chip from right?

Nevertheless I have stage II 180cc's from Jim but do not run that file very often. I have been told that I am safe from my chip supplier, that it was "the other guys".

I understand the whisper mode. Best for drive thru's but not drive by's. LOL