Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Spark Plugs (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=996)

TA2Dsailor Wed, April 22nd, 2009 08:30 PM

Spark Plugs

What spark plugs do yall recommend? Also how much have you guys paid to get them done? I just called a Ford service place and they said $540 parts and labor. Or 206 without plugs. Last time i checked plugs were not 334 bucks. I'll break the plugs myself before I pay that.

88Racing Wed, April 22nd, 2009 09:10 PM

That $ sounds high usually around $300-$400. Call around even if it's an hour drive away. But on the other hand is the carbon cleaning service being done also? You can do that part yourself just use sea foam or berrymans in the tank for a couple of fill ups.
Most are putting the stock kind back in and following the tsb to the letter. Some have tried aftermarket plugs and did have the best of luck. Brisk has the best aftermarket one out there but be aware a it's not a 100k plug like the stock ones. Stock plugs have the platinum tips and brisk doesn't. So brisk might be a 20-30k plug.

I just want to find 08.5 heads then I won't have to worry about it ever! Or as long as I own it.

Lars:2thumbs:

Power Hungry Wed, April 22nd, 2009 11:48 PM

If I remember correctly, stock Motorcraft plugs are like $12.00 to $14.00 each.

88Racing Thu, April 23rd, 2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 8183)
If I remember correctly, stock Motorcraft plugs are like $12.00 to $14.00 each.

So you take that amount $96-$112 for eight of them.

There's a post called "Spark plug change" 04fx4 quoted the price of $490.
I don't know what the job rate is or the service rate so it's kind of hard to add the rest up for you. I have read up to $720 for a change! That's with no breakage.

My best advice, call around and get prices.

Lars:thumbs up yellow:

04FX4 Thu, April 23rd, 2009 08:06 AM

If it was me doing this all over again, I would still go to the dealership, and have the motorcraft plugs installed. The dealership would probably be the best bet as they have done this a 1000 times. You can do it yourself as well but may not be worth the stress that may be involved...:shrug:

dplummer87 Thu, April 23rd, 2009 10:12 AM

I heard the plugs on our trucks were a Pain...but are they really that bad :disbelief: I cant imagine paying $500 for it... ( never paid to change them on any of my vehicle but they were all older models cars)

Jackpine Thu, April 23rd, 2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dplummer87 (Post 8202)
I heard the plugs on our trucks were a Pain...but are they really that bad :disbelief: I cant imagine paying $500 for it... ( never paid to change them on any of my vehicle but they were all older models cars)

Have you looked at the TSB on changing the plugs? If not, here's a download: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/jm...sb08-07-06.pdf It's a whole heck of a lot more than just attacking the engine with a deep well socket.

From what I can determine, it takes GREAT patience, and your truck is sitting in the shop (taking up space that can't be used for anything else) for a long time. Plus, just getting at the rear passenger side plug seems a bit of a "trick" (at least the engine doesn't have to be removed like a certain GM product about 40 years ago).

I DO wish Motorcraft would simply redesign the things to be one-piece, but I guess that's too simple.

I used to change my own plugs too, but these, I'll pass on. Oh, and to answer TA2Dsailor's question, I plan to stick with Motorcraft plugs too.

- Jack

88Racing Thu, April 23rd, 2009 11:11 AM

Let me take a guess what that gm car was.

Maybe a vette?

My dad used to help one of former employers with his.

Let's see if I remember how it went.

1. Get the hoist hooked up to the motor.

2. Loosen up header collector flanges.

3. While your are under there loosen the motor mounts.

4. Raise it up until tranny hit the top of tunnel. Approx 6".

Presto you had acces to the plugs.

The ones I don't like are the transverse mounted v6 engines. The firewall side bites.
Lars

dplummer87 Thu, April 23rd, 2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackandJanet (Post 8205)
Have you looked at the TSB on changing the plugs? If not, here's a download: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/jm...sb08-07-06.pdf It's a whole heck of a lot more than just attacking the engine with a deep well socket.

- Jack

Holy HELL! :censored1::thumbsdwn::cursin::yikes2:

88Racing Thu, April 23rd, 2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dplummer87 (Post 8212)
Holy HELL! :censored1::thumbsdwn::cursin::yikes2:

Do you need to clean your pants out now or pick your jaw up off the floor or thankfully enough that you were sitting down?!

So is it worth that much?

Lars