Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Muffler Suggestions for 150 with Headers (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7194)

Habbi98 Thu, September 29th, 2011 03:48 PM

Muffler Suggestions for 150 with Headers

I have an 07 F-150 5.4L with a set of S.Steel OBX Racing Headers & Hi-Flow cats with an Xlerator Muffler on it. The Exhaust Pipe is 3" and with the Headers I am getting an awful sounding Hi Pitch Drone from the exhaust in the 1800-2500RPM range. Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement Muffler that is economically priced. I have checked on MagnaFlow and they are too expensive. I am considering a Thrush Turbo, but have not heard them in the 5.4L before, has anyone heard what they sound like?

Longshot270 Thu, September 29th, 2011 05:03 PM

The best advice I can give you is to try YouTube. I had a flowmaster 40 that I swapped out for my old stock muffler.

Habbi98 Thu, September 29th, 2011 05:17 PM

I've tried the youtube option and could not find any good sound clips of anything with headers. I am contemplating going back to a stock muffler if i cannot find anything as this drone is extremely irritating in that rpm range and i will be pulling an RV almost 500mi.le.s with it. The current muffler sounds great at idle or WOT, it's just the mud range rpm's where it is an issue

88Racing Fri, September 30th, 2011 12:49 PM

Search for wickednicky.....they've got borlas for 89 ea........a pair of these might help...

Also look at performance peddler.....they've got good deals also....

Oval bodies and longer length mufflers decrease drone.....

Habbi98 Fri, September 30th, 2011 02:03 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out. I have heard Straigh thru's help reduce Drone also, Any thoughts??

88Racing Mon, October 3rd, 2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habbi98 (Post 51762)
Thanks for the info. I'll check them out. I have heard Straigh thru's help reduce Drone also, Any thoughts??

Yes they do......

88Racing Mon, October 3rd, 2011 02:54 PM

Wicked Nicky link>>>Wicked Nicky Exhaust. The only site you will ever need for low prices on high performance exhaust systems and more.
Performance Peddler link>>> Magnaflow Performance | Discount Performance Auto Parts | Performance Exhaust Systems | Flowmaster Performance Mufflers

Habbi98 Mon, October 3rd, 2011 06:36 PM

I did some research over the weekend and got some very differing opinions on which way to go as far as chambered or straight-thru and then today I spoke with a Tech at Flowmaster and he has me real unsure of what to do after he told me that changing out the muffler may or may not fix my problem and i hate to throw away money. I did install a Holley Performance Red Hot over the weekend and all it really did was quite the exhaust down with no reduction in the Drone. I have also read other things about custom tuning making a difference on the DRONE sound as well. Any thoughts on that, as i am currently awaiting a Custom 87 Tow calibration from Bill and the team.

Longshot270 Mon, October 3rd, 2011 06:54 PM

How do you plan on routing the exhaust? If you dump underneath the vehicle you will get drone. If you run it out the side like stock or at a 45˚ you'll have much less drone. I'm sure position of the muffler along the length of the exhaust will make a difference as well but I dont have anything besides guesses at how that might effect it.

Habbi98 Mon, October 3rd, 2011 07:16 PM

The exhaust is identical to the Stock setup with the exception to the Xlerator VX 13" muffler, 3" Outlet side pipe and 3.5" tip. I am just at a loss right now with all the differing information that I have gotten and don't know which way to go.