Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gryphon Programmer (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Whats the difference in tunes? (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534)

Jon Roseman Wed, February 18th, 2009 02:28 PM

Whats the difference in tunes?

I have an 06' 5.4L with aero 3030 exhaust, 3 in leveling kit, AF1 CAI. I was wondering what the custom tunes do exactly? Are they just messing with the setting I can customize on my performance setting already or are they more advanced than that? Either way I don't know enough about it to customize my own as far as timing, shift firmness, etc. Also, I wanted to know if anyone has any advice as far as making my own setting on performance canned tune. Bill, I will be requesting some custom tunes either way but just wanted some information.

I would appreciate any help!

thanks,
Jon

Jackpine Wed, February 18th, 2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Roseman (Post 4025)
I have an 06' 5.4L with aero 3030 exhaust, 3 in leveling kit, AF1 CAI. I was wondering what the custom tunes do exactly? Are they just messing with the setting I can customize on my performance setting already or are they more advanced than that? Either way I don't know enough about it to customize my own as far as timing, shift firmness, etc. Also, I wanted to know if anyone has any advice as far as making my own setting on performance canned tune. Bill, I will be requesting some custom tunes either way but just wanted some information.

I would appreciate any help!

thanks,
Jon

You COULD be running lean with the CAI if you're using canned tunes. That's one thing Bill can adjust for in a custom tune. What else? Well, what altitude do you normally drive at? What is your average outside temperature? Are you pulling anything besides what Edge thought was a "standard" trailer?

He can adjust line pressures to the transmission that you can't. He can adjust the fuel map much more precisely for your needs than what you get with the canned tune. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the dynamic timing curve can be manipulated in ways you don't have access to.

According to Corey, there are over 100 parameters that Bill manipulates to give you a custom tune. And, he has years and years of experience at this business.

Sure, you can do a "few" things. Things like increasing your WOT RPM, WOT shift points and normal shift points. You can change your timing, gears, tire size and shift "firmness", and a few other minor things, but that's about all.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Jon! :howdy:

- Jack

Power Hungry Thu, February 19th, 2009 02:25 AM

Once again, Jack is on the case! :2thumbs:

There is much more to custom tuning we provide than just twiddling the "custom options" that come on the programmer. Those options are there to allow customers to make some "fine tune" adjustments based on parameters that are often subjective as specific to a persons tastes. This is especially true with shifting characteristics.

Tuning for a CAI or exhaust is done generally to eliminate the resultant lean conditions these modifications often introduce. In many cases the lean conditions are manageable by the ECM, in some cases they are not. It depends on the specific components, ambient conditions, fuel quality, and other factors.

Given the modifications you indicated, custom tunes are surely the way to go... even if it's just 1 or 2 programs. Most often, people will find a good program that fits their needs and just stick with that. Others, like enthusiasts, may switch from program to program as the situation demands. It all depends on what you're looking to achieve.

I hope this is helpful.

Jon Roseman Thu, February 19th, 2009 04:20 PM

Ya, that helps considerably! I'll be sending in an application for some tunes shortly. Thanks for the input, Bill. Anyone got any experiences with adjusting their shift points or anything I can do while I wait for my tune?

I was also wondering what kind of gains I could expect from a 93 octane economy custom tune because that is all I run in my truck now that I got the gryphon and I don't want to change octane ratings all the time.

Thanks,
Jon

Sburn Thu, February 19th, 2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Roseman (Post 4120)
Anyone got any experiences with adjusting their shift points or anything I can do while I wait for my tune?

Jon

Starting from the canned 93 - Performance tune, here's some of the little tweaks I've done. Note that I have a 4.6, not a 5.4.

Octane: -2 counts becasue I don't use 93 or 91 octane gas.

1 -> 2 Upshift +2 MPH
2 -> 3 Upshift +10 MPH

The 2 -> 3 upshift change made the most difference to me. Seems like my 4.6 is just starting to get its legs as it revs up in 2nd.

3 -> 4 Upshift +5 MPH

I changed the corresponding down shifts to match the above.
Left all T/C locks/unlocks alone, but I might adjust this after I drive as above for a while and when things dry out in CA.

Shift firmness: +2 on 1 -> 2, +5 on 2 -> 3 and 3-> 4.

I don't expect to adjust RPM limit since my butt dyno tells me the stock 4.6 is past the torque curve much after 4500 RPM.

I left speed limit at facory 95 MPH. Darn few safe places to go faster than that. Plus factory tires are crap for those kinds of speeds.

Like it says in the manual, make small changes.

Also, try to only change one thing at a time so you'll know what works and what doesn't.

Keep notes, because if you do make small changes and one at a time, you'll be making those changes over weeks and not be able to remember what worked good and when.

Jon Roseman Mon, February 23rd, 2009 11:56 AM

Thanks for the input man! Anyone have a 5.4 and notice a similar setup with positive outcomes?

Jackpine Mon, February 23rd, 2009 05:55 PM

Y'know, it's all in what you're looking for. I reduced my upshift/downshift speeds and torque converter lock/unlock points by the max at each setting. I DON'T stand on the throttle moving away from a stoplight and this seems to get me into and keep me in the higher gears at the right time for my style of driving. Notice this has no effect whatever on WOT shifts, they depend only on RPM when you have the throttle over 90% down.

I left the shift firmness at the settings Bill gave me - they feel good. I increased the max RPM to 5400 since that's the point you start to get torque converter ballooning (I don't want to exceed it, but don't feel bad about being near there for a moment when WOT shifts complete). The max RPM needs to be at least 400 above WOT shift rpm to work right. I left Bill's WOT shift points as he set them.

Just in case I ever get close to 99 mph accidentally, say during passing, I damn sure don't want the truck to "hang up" there, so, I increased the max speed to 110.

Hope this helps.

- Jack

Jon Roseman Mon, February 23rd, 2009 06:37 PM

In my style of driving, I do like to get on it at the stop but I also like the pull away power from a moving roll or on the interstate. I'm still upgrading so I'm just looking at tuning it myself right now and eventually I am going to let Bill make me some custom tunes. If I'm running 93 octane on the 93 setting theres no use in messing with the timing is there?

Jackpine Mon, February 23rd, 2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Roseman (Post 4404)
In my style of driving, I do like to get on it at the stop but I also like the pull away power from a moving roll or on the interstate. I'm still upgrading so I'm just looking at tuning it myself right now and eventually I am going to let Bill make me some custom tunes. If I'm running 93 octane on the 93 setting theres no use in messing with the timing is there?

I don't think there's a 93 octane tune, but there IS a 91+ octane tune (which tries to be a catchall for anything at or above the 91 octane level. If you use 93 octane gas, I'd try setting the timing to +1 degree (0.5 degrees for each octane point above the tune level). With the engine all warmed up, "stand" on it and listen for ping. If you hear any, back off.

Oh, and Bill would do some other things to optimize your use of 93 octane juice over what YOU can do!

- Jack

Jon Roseman Tue, February 24th, 2009 04:39 PM

Ok, I'll give it a shot with the timing and continue to fiddle with the firmness. Thanks again, Jack!

-Jon