Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   veg oil in diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7171)

epowers777 Sun, September 25th, 2011 08:36 PM

veg oil in diesel

Right now I got about 5 gal mixedwith q full tank. The engine is way quieter and exhaust smells better. What's the most mix you can run? In my Mercedes its 30% if I got a tank heater how much could I run?
Thanks Eric

907DAVE Wed, November 2nd, 2011 02:20 AM

I have ran as much as 30% WVO in my rig during the summer months with no negative effects.

tim64 Wed, November 2nd, 2011 05:33 PM

This is going to come out sounding super noob like, but I am too lazy at this moment to do more research and figured that you could provide all info..... So when I cook with vegetable oil/canola oil/olive oil/etc. , I can then just drain that off into a jar and pour it into my fuel tank on my 1997 7.3l powerstroke? Because that would seriously be really convenient.

907DAVE Wed, November 2nd, 2011 07:56 PM

Yup, as long as the oil is clean and has no cleaning chemicals in it....pour it in.:)

tim64 Wed, November 2nd, 2011 08:46 PM

How do you make sure that it is clean enough to pour in the tank?

907DAVE Thu, November 3rd, 2011 01:31 AM

Well, there is a ton of different methods used to filter WVO. Many use a centrifuge style filter, but they are expensive.

I use the "settling" method. First I let the oil containers sit untouched (preferably in the sun) for a few days before pumping through a 50 micron filter and water separator then it goes through a 2 micron post pump filter and into a black barrel. Once the barrel if full I will sometimes add regular unleaded gas (rug), Power Service's conditioner, or whatever else I got laying around...lol. Let that sit a few more days and pump strait into the truck using a 2 micron filter.

Been doing this for the past few years without any problems.

Just noticed your from Palmer, so like me - this can only be done for a few months before temps get close to freezing. You dont want to get caught with this stuff in your fuel tank when it gets cold......that would be no fun.

tim64 Thu, November 3rd, 2011 01:07 PM

Fantastic! Thanks for all the info. I'm going to try this next summer.

Longshot270 Thu, November 3rd, 2011 05:06 PM

That's cool, down here you could probably run it 11 out of 12 months. Have you ever tested for an average freezing point?

You must also do a lot of frying. :hehe:

907DAVE Thu, November 3rd, 2011 08:46 PM

I had done experiments with different amounts of anti-gel and different blends on WVO to RUG and #1, but my notes are long gone by now.

Basically nothing really made a difference, and it was decided that if temps were going do drop below 40* that stuff had to be out of the truck.

Ohh, and local restaurants LOVED it when I would come by and grab it from them, otherwise they had to pay someone to haul it off. I must have had over 1000 gallons of WVO when I first started collecting it......but I had to stop because I had no more room left, or a need for any more. My goals of making my own bio has since been put on hold and I have just been pouring it strait in the tank.

cowboy Wed, November 9th, 2011 08:01 AM

I got to admit that's pretty sweet. How much do you figure it cost you to make your own diesel instead of buying it?