View Single Post
Old Mon, July 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Glad to be of help! I'm still concerned that your hitch is not set up right though. Many RV dealerships don't really know what they're doing according to posts on several threads I've looked at.

I think the hitch ball height adjustment is pretty standard, so here's what mine says:

You need to know your loaded trailer's tongue weight to begin with. If you have a 7500-8000# trailer, the tongue weight should be about 900-1200#. I would classify the truck as having "average" springs, so the difference between the height of your ball on flat ground and the inside height of your trailer hitch with the trailer sitting parallel to the ground should be from 1 11/16 - 2 1/4 inches (the ball is that much higher). Then, the equalizing arms and chains should be able to be adjusted so that the compression at the rear of the truck is equal to or maybe just a small amount more than the compression at the front. (In other words the truck rides "level"). (Measure from the ground through the center of the wheel to the top of the fender opening). The instructions for my hitch say if you can't get this, you need a heavier hitch.

They should have given you a copy of the hitch instructions. I'd study them carefully!

- Jack