View Single Post
Old Sat, July 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by not you View Post
sorry to jump in here. but if im correct you are saying if you put to stock setting and unplug the gryphon and they reflash truck u still lose the tunes. but i thought its all on the gryphon. cant you just plug the gryphon back in again
It's a good question. The problem is, when they reflash the PCM, it changes the HEX code. Now, that doesn't mean much by itself, but the HEX code is a way to describe the parameters of the stock setup. Bill modifies these parameters when he writes your custom tunes, to give you the best possible "bang for your buck". So, his custom tunes are written for a specific HEX code and if it changes, they no longer work.

I don't think though, that Bill charges you to rewrite your custom tunes if you are reflashed - I think he does it for free. (Another reason we think Bill is "the man"!) But, there's no real reason to get your PCM reflashed once you have custom tunes because Bill has already adjusted things to be optimum.

Reflashing is not usually a problem if all you have are canned tunes. These are more "generic", not optimized to a particular PCM setup, but still better than the "stock" tune that came on your truck.

Corey described it once something like this:
1. Stock tunes - You go to a department store and buy a suit of clothes.

2. Canned tunes - You buy the suit of clothes but take them to a tailor and have adjustments made so the suit fits you better.

3. Cuatom tunes - You pay BIG bucks to have a big name designer design and produce a suit of clothes that you could wear to the Academy Awards - and you'd fit right in with all the other attendees. That suit will not look right on anyone else.
Hope this makes a tiny bit of sense.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer