View Single Post
Old Tue, September 8th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Whopper Junior

08FX4 is on a distinguished road
Default A few ???'s about my recently installed Gryphon.....

I got the Gryphon installed today and it did make a nice improvement in the feel of the truck. I'm only running the canned tunes at the moment but intend to upgrade to custom tunes as soon as I figure out what's going on. After I installed it I loaded up level 2 and drove home for lunch to get a bite to eat and I noticed the shifting was much harder than I thought it should be. My wife has an '09 GT (automatic) and it has very firm shifts but not "jerky" shifts. Under normal acceleration shift 1-2 is not bad, shift 2-3 is very jerky, and shift 3-4 is somewhat jerky. I was able to make it a little better by adjusting the shift firmness down to -10 on shift 1-2, -15 on shift 2-3, and -15 on shift 3-4. It was still shifting much firmer than the GT so I went down to -15, -23, and -20 (much lower than I thought it should be) and it threw some kind of "torque" code. After adjusting the settings I put it in drive, eased into the throttle and as soon as the truck started moving it shuttered and threw a code. Previously I had an Xcal3 tuned by VMP and we could never get the shifting just right in it either -- it was acting in an identical manner. I do know the difference between a firm shift/jerky shift and I'm definitely experiencing jerky shifts. Anybody have a similar problem or have any input?

The other issue happens when I'm barely moving. I can hear this squealing/whistling noise but as soon as I start moving at any speed (over 3-4 mph) it'll go away. I have not heard the belt squeal during a hard up-shift as of now but I haven't really nailed the throttle yet because I'm not comfortable with the way my truck is shifting right now.

I have not called PHP about this yet because I know Corey or Bill will eventually see this thread and reply then -- I know they are extremely busy and I hate to bombard them with phone calls especially considering the fact that my truck is still running and getting me from point A to point B...... it's just not perfect yet.

Any help/advice/opinions?