View Single Post
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 12:46 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSLEEPER View Post
Is there a way to "flatten out" all of those computer based calculations to keep your truck from taking over? I would like to be in control of what's going on a little more than that. In my opinion, the less multipliers and maps, the better. I know they're needed in some cases...

I guess I'd like my truck to run more like a 12V cummings in that there is not much that is taken away from you or added without your permission...
Oh yeah, you can flatten out everything from pulsewidth multipliers, SOI advance adders, injection delay, etc.

Will the truck run this way? Sure. Will it run optimally? Not until it reaches normal operating temperature.

What I'm getting at is that no matter how "complicated" the HEUI injection system HAS TO BE, the Ford engineers that programmed it and set up the myriad of tables, scalars, functions, maps, etc. KNEW that a system that relies largely on the viscosity and quality of engine oil NEEDED to have a lot of multipliers and adders to compensate.

Nearly every aspect of the engine tuning is related to or based off of oil temperature. That's where the complication comes from. If there was no "hydraulically actuated" part of the injection system, there would be far less to worry about. The basics would include:

1. Injection pulsewidth based on accelerator pedal input, boost (load), and RPM.
2. Injection timing based on RPM and boost (load).
3. Injection pressure for a given load.

That's it. (I realize there's slightly more to a CR than that but you won't find multipliers and adders for cold/hot oil.)

There are no "size" ratings of CR injectors in CC/1000. Only the flow rates of nozzles determine how much fuel you can get out of each injection event.....programmers just need to tell the PCM to keep the injector open longer. A 12V Cummins (or any mechanically injected diesel) simply flows more fuel per injection through the pump to the injector. Larger nozzles on those will flow more fuel too. Simply put, the HEUI system (while AWESOME ), isn't exactly the best or easiest platform to get insane power from.

When you get Minotaur, you will be blown away at the sheer number of changes needed to make a drivable truck.

Last edited by cleatus12r; Wed, September 30th, 2009 at 12:55 PM.