View Single Post
Old Thu, November 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSTX View Post
Thanks for the info!

I'm guessing that 4.10's may win out, though I am curious about trying 4.30's. I'll admit, I don't know about the torque limiting effect of the PCM.

I believe it's always a bit better to wish you had a bit more gear than wishing you hadn't gone so extreme. I know 4.56's or better can get you up and running pretty quick, but there's certainly a down side with them. The answers I got on another forum some time ago was very extreme..... 4.88's.... really! I couldn't even consider them to be serious, especially since I'm not planning on lifting my truck and running 36" tires, nor am I planning on taking it to the track.

I knew I'd get more logical responses here, not to mention some other info. worth considering, thanks!
With my tires, going one step up in gear ratio adds about 200 RPM in the 66 mph range. A bit more than that at 76, maybe around 250 RPM? I think anything more than that would make the engine sound like it was screaming at cruise speeds. I know I hate to listen to it when I have to drop into 3rd while towing at 65, sounds to me like the engine's running much too fast.

- Jack