View Single Post
Old Thu, December 10th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Whopper

mr.c is on a distinguished road
Default pcm/ficm tuning

I have been running the FICM that you reprogammed for me and the truck ran better but not as good as before the dealer flashed away my power. I decided to get another pcm/ecm and send that to you to program them back to the strategy that the truck came with. I have had a incompatibilty code since I put in the PHP programmed FICM. The first pcm/ecm that I got was from a '03 and I put it in to check what program that it had. My AutoEgineuity scanner showed some really wierd numbers. The program strategy number was bracketed with several y's with 2 dots over the top of them. I do not know what the CVN number is that shows up under the CAL number which is the strategy number. Anyway this pcm showed a 0 for a number. The original pcm showed 28C7D90 for the CVN.
I tried driving the truck with the different pcm and there was no tow/haul mode. The seller of the unit had listed it as for an automatic. It probably wasn't. So I bought another used pcm from an '04. That was delivered today and I put it in the truck to check to see what the strategy was. It was VXBC9N8.HEX. The same as what was current in the truck after the dealer flashed it. It showed a different CVN number 21F261D. I decided to take it for a quick drive. I felt a difference just driving it across the yard to get to the road. Very responsive to throttle. I got to the road and showered down on it and the truck took off like unleashed beagles. My truck is a F350 crew cab long bed dually with a topper. 3.73 rear gear and stock size tires (16"). A heavy truck. When it came up on boost it lit up the tires and lit them again on the second gear shift. There was a good bit of black smoke for about 50' . Thirty pounds of boost as it had before swapping pcm's. Showering down on it at 20-30 mph still resulted in tire spin and some black smoke. The power was as good as when the truck was new. I don't remember all of the smoke however.
I have a couple of questions. How could a pcm with the same VXBC9N8.HEX strategy perform so differently? What is the CVN number under truck identity? That number was different. 21F261D in this pcm and 28C7D90 for my oridinal pcm.
I still had the imcompatibility code that comes up for this unit as well. I still am planning on sending you a pcm and a new ficm for you to reprogram back to original (as sold) specs. I was going to send the replacement unit and keep the original pcm as is but after driving the truck with the spare pcm, I am not so sure. Am I in any danger of hurting the engine with this spare pcm that makes good power? Fuel mileage is an unknown on this unit since I just got it this afternoon.

Last edited by mr.c; Thu, December 10th, 2009 at 07:36 PM.